Profile for JackMartin > Reviews

Content by JackMartin

JackMartin "gmdobbs" (wales, uk)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Head On (Expanded Edition)
Head On (Expanded Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars 80's rock, 24 Aug. 2013
Typical 80's hard rock with added interest because of the vocalist Bruce Dickenson who would later join Iron Maiden. It's not Samson's best album but it's pretty damn good nonetheless

Cloud B Sleep Sheep
Cloud B Sleep Sheep
Offered by Baby Lurve

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely sounds..soothing, 23 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Cloud B Sleep Sheep (Baby Product)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this for my new niece and I must say I was impressed with the quality of the product - no little bits to come off if the baby chews on the device. The sounds it gives off, especially the heart beat are very effective and the baby seems to love it.

Cracker - Complete Collection [DVD]
Cracker - Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robbie Coltrane

5.0 out of 5 stars Some of the best TV ever made - even the weaker episodes are OK, 16 Aug. 2013
Okay the first seven stories are all exceptional and although the quality drops off after Brotherly Love, the remaining stories are watch-able thanks to Robbie Coltrane's depiction of the hard drinking, reckless gambling Fitz. Of course it is the Jimmy McGovern written stories that are the best but Brotherly Love (McGovern's last story not counting the comeback special) has a number of weak elements and one cheap horror movie scene where blood, which should have congealed, runs like treacle through a ceiling into the flat below. It's a cheap shock moment that doesn't sit well with what is otherwise a damn good story.

The Chinese set story, White Ghost is much more comedic than the rest of the stories and plays like a fish out of water story and the final special, A New Terror is a sad ending to such a ground-breaking show. Still minor quibbles aside Cracker is an astounding show.

Rockshow [DVD] [2013] [NTSC]
Rockshow [DVD] [2013] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Paul McCartney And Wings

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, brilliant, cowabunga this is good, 12 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Rockshow [DVD] [2013] [NTSC] (DVD)
Macca and Wings at their best from that long hot summer in 1976 when Wings set the world alight with an absolutely astounding tour as captured here. Love it to bits.

Touch & Go
Touch & Go
by Lisa Gardner

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 1 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Touch & Go (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'd heard a lot about this writer so I was eager to get started on this book but I must say I found it predictable and even worse without a spark. I did finish it but don't think this is my kind of thing.

Star Trek Command Gold Uniform Adult Long-Sleeve T-Shirt, Large
Star Trek Command Gold Uniform Adult Long-Sleeve T-Shirt, Large

5.0 out of 5 stars great quality, 1 Jun. 2013
I've been wearing this shirt and running round an old quarry shouting, 'phazers on stun' - this is an excellent Trek garment which my wife thinks makes me look incredibly hot. Love it.

Think of the Children
Think of the Children
by Kerry Wilkinson
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Another classic from a future king of the genre, 1 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Think of the Children (Audio CD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I first discovered Kerry Wilkinson after buying his self published, Locked In for my KIndle and was pleased to see he had been signed by a major publisher in Pan. This is a very dark story that opens with a shock when detective Jessica Daniel is witness to a car accident. She is first on the scene and after realising that the driver is dead she opens the boot and find a child's body wrapped in plastic. It's a dark story with an ending that I really didn't see coming - well written and brilliantly read in this audiobook version.

Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City (BBC Radio 4 Drama)
Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City (BBC Radio 4 Drama)
by Armistead Maupin
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 1 Jun. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In many ways I think it is a waste of time to review any BBC Audio product, since the company are past masters at creating compelling audio drama and comedy. This is based on the book by Armistead Maupin's and it, as is expected, catches the feel of the piece. Produced by Sue Roberts the drama brings 1970's San Francisco to life - great voice actors, great direction - need I say more.

Outlaw (Outlaw Chronicles Book 1)
Outlaw (Outlaw Chronicles Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Robin Hood for our times, 28 May 2013
I had this book on my shelves for several years before I finally picked it up and once I'd gone a few pages into the story I was hooked and remained hooked to the excellently described final battle.I immediately bought the second and third book in the series so that should tell you how much I enjoyed the book. Now this is an historical adventure but the well drawn period detail remains in the background while the reader is dragged along by a story that contains some real swashbuckling adventure, though the more fantastic elements are treated with a grittiness that makes them feel very real indeed and the Robin Hood of this book comes across as a person who could have actually existed. Robin is a champion of the people and truly loved by them though he is certainly protecting his own interests when he fights for the underdog. I thought it was a clever touch to tell the story through the eyes of Alan Dale which means that Robin although presented through his adoring eyes often comes across as brutal and godless, and even on times as a monster.

This is not your standard Robin Hood tale, there are no merry men prancing about in green tights. This is gritty stuff where there are no rights and wrongs but only survival. Quite excellent.

Johnny Red Comic Part One: 26 (Johnny Red Comics)
Johnny Red Comic Part One: 26 (Johnny Red Comics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellently done, 21 May 2013
It's great to have digital versions of this strip on my Kindle Fire - I used to read these as a kid and although many of these are available as print graphic novels this is a cheaper way of getting them. The digitisation is excellent and the Fire really is a good medium for reading comic books. I'll be getting all of these - at this price you can't go wrong.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20