Profile for Kindle Customer > Reviews

Content by Kindle Customer

Kindle Customer "gmdobbs" (wales, uk)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Punk Rocker Mohican Wig Large Red Hair Johnny Rotten Fancy Dress
Punk Rocker Mohican Wig Large Red Hair Johnny Rotten Fancy Dress
Offered by FancyDressForAll

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool and funky, 10 May 2014
I wore this, together with a face stocking to rob the local bank and had to fight my way out when the filth arrived. The wig stayed in place and helped his my identity. Trouble was my getwaway car stalled which is why I write this review from HM Prison Dartmoor. Still it weren't the wig's fault - it's cool enough.

The Education of a Pulp Writer & other stories
The Education of a Pulp Writer & other stories

5.0 out of 5 stars A great collection, 10 May 2014
Pathologies such as these really shine in the new digital medium. I've got several fiction anthologies on my ever present kindle and , they're great to dip into when you've got limited reading time. I've not yet read all of the stories in this collection but those that I have I've enjoyed fully and I'm sure the others will be just as cool. Great stuff.

The Button Down Mind Of Bob Newhart
The Button Down Mind Of Bob Newhart

5.0 out of 5 stars Ogga Booga bloody classic, 4 May 2014
Not for nothing is this the bestselling standup comedy album ever - hilarious. A true master. Each of the routines here are brilliant.

Honky Chateau
Honky Chateau

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Cool period Elton, 4 May 2014
This review is from: Honky Chateau (Audio CD)
Sheer Class - I'm a rocket man. This is a great sounding album from the period before old Reg Dwight got too poppy and s***e. Excellent

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderous start to what will likely become a modern classic. Really enjoyed this., 29 April 2014
Game of Thrones, although a high fantasy, reads more like an historical adventure story than a fantasy. Yeah there are dragons, well in the last few pages at least and there is magic of sorts but the fictional world within these pages comes across as a slightly skewed version of medieval England. If you love fantasy then you'll obviously adore Game of Thrones, but I think that those not into dragons, goblins and wizards will be able to enjoy this book. It's wonderfully written with a great command of the language and some wonderful visual passages. I read the book on my Kindle and found myself highlighting similes that struck me as particularly effective, or passages that I thought were either technically beautiful or wonderful in the effect created many times in the book.

His shadow clear across the yard, and for just a moment Tyrion Lanister stood tall as a king.

Like a man who carried all of the sadness of the world upon his shoulders.

Arrows had sown a terrible new crop and watered it with blood.

What is surprising is how faithful the HBO TV series is to the books. I saw the series before reading this book and I can't think of many differences between the two. The way Ned Stark injures his leg towards the end was a minor difference, and there seems to be a bit more sex in the TV version, but most of it was as I remember from the TV series. Another surprising thing about the book is how quick it moves, given that it's a little more than 800 pages in length. The author tells the story from many viewpoints, and each chapter comes from the viewpoint of one of the various characters who play the game of thrones. This works well and gives the story a thickness of texture that brings the fantastic world to vivid life.

Savage Blood
Savage Blood

5.0 out of 5 stars Good old fashioned and action packed western, 14 April 2014
This review is from: Savage Blood (Kindle Edition)
It' a short book. I don't like to call it a novella -I don't really like that term - and it's too long to call it a short story. So I'm going to stick with the good old fashioned term and call the book a novel. Fitting really given that Savage Blood is a good old fashioned, action packed western.

Brodie is a one armed veteran of the Civil War. As well as his arm the war took his beloved Eva from him - well she actually fell into the two arms of another man but only after believing Brodie dead. However when Brodie receives a summons for help from Eva who is being driven out of her business by a ruthless town boss called Flannery, he has every right to ignore her. That's not the way it goes though and Brodie soon finds himself teamed up with the ex-wife's current man,Martin Caney and together they are heading for a showdown with Flannery.

At the root of this excellent story is a standard western plot of big business pushing around the common man, a plot I've used myself, but Reasoner's cast of three dimensional characters give the story a gravitas common to all of the best western fiction. The conflict between Caney and Brodie is handled well and never seems anything less than fully believable. You can imagine that this is how men in such a situation would interact, and this plot strand is used to create tension throughout the book.

Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7" Standing Polyurethane Origami Case, Slate Grey  [will only fit Kindle Fire HDX 7" (3rd Generation)]
Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7" Standing Polyurethane Origami Case, Slate Grey [will only fit Kindle Fire HDX 7" (3rd Generation)]

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, 21 Feb. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the second case I've bought for my Kindle Fire and this one is by far the best. When the Kindle's inside I feel as if I could drop it down the stairs without damaging it...not that I'm going to try though.

Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" Standing Leather Origami Case, Red  [will only fit Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" (3rd Generation)]
Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" Standing Leather Origami Case, Red [will only fit Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" (3rd Generation)]

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 21 Feb. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Fitted the device which looks snug as a bug in a rug and is now fully protected from any normal bump or knock

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars does what it says on the tin, 21 Feb. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I liked this case even if I did initially find it cumbersome to fit to the device but once this was done it was excellent.

Revolver
Revolver

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably the worse thing Capitol did to a Beatles Album, 12 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Revolver (Audio CD)
Unlike all of the other US Beatle albums I can't really see any worth in owning the US Revolver - it's just the UK album minus three great tracks. The only positive I can give is that the missing tracks here actually work well on the Yesterday and Today album but I can't ever see me playing this album again, not when I have the UK version at hand.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20