Profile for JackMartin > Reviews

Content by JackMartin

JackMartin "gmdobbs" (wales, uk)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Elvis Presley [VINYL]
Elvis Presley [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars 180g vinyl...lovely, 14 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Elvis Presley [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Vinyl is the only way to listen to this classic.

Every Mother's Nightmare: Abertillery in Mourning
Every Mother's Nightmare: Abertillery in Mourning
by Neil Milkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserves a place on the shelf of every armchair detective, 14 Jan. 2016
I found this book very interesting and I liked the author's straight- forward style of presenting the facts. The sheer detail of the court cases was excellent. The author is a member of the community he writes about and this much is apparant from his voice which shines through in the prose. I'll be getting his second book on Harold Jones and if it is as informative as Every Mother's NIghtmare I will be delighted.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
by Robert M. Pirsig
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 14 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
An excellent radio adaptation of the cult novel, done with the high production values and brilliant voice acting that is common with BBC Radio. VERY VERY GOOD.

U.S. History For Dummies
U.S. History For Dummies
by Steve Wiegand

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent Dummies book, 14 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've found myself constantly taking this book down from the shelves in order to check up one fact or another, which is the beauty of the way the 'DUMMIES' series is written. The facts are easily accessible and the style of writing makes following quite complex subjects simplicity in itself. I love this book and already my copy is dog eared from constantly referring to it.

Fire, 7" Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB (Black) - Includes Special Offers
Fire, 7" Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB (Black) - Includes Special Offers

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 14 Jan. 2016
Absolutely superb - for the last few years I have been using my trusty first gen Fire and although that still works fine, I wanted to upgrade because of the increased screen resolution and memory capacity. What can I say - Fire's are great tablets...I really can't understand why people buy tablets that cost ten times as much. No complaints at all.

Lennon and McCartney T-Shirt. (0-3 months, White T-Shirt - Black Vinyl)
Lennon and McCartney T-Shirt. (0-3 months, White T-Shirt - Black Vinyl)
Offered by B-Shirts

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 Jan. 2016
brilliant and very cute

Orion Oxana Pussy and Ass 524638 Masturbator
Orion Oxana Pussy and Ass 524638 Masturbator

5.0 out of 5 stars I have fallen in love with my model, 9 Dec. 2015
I have fallen in love with my model, we are hoping to wed this coming May. I use this three or four times a day; I'm going through batteries like crazy and my legs are also feeling very weak. Still that's a small price to pay for the pleasure of humping this beauty. I call mine Doris.

Stories in Welsh Stone: Volume 1: The Secrets within 15 Welsh Graves
Stories in Welsh Stone: Volume 1: The Secrets within 15 Welsh Graves
by Geoff Brookes

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative with a compelling writing stye, 4 Nov. 2015
Very interesting - the author's style is straightforward and manages to bring out the tiniest detail in the stories told within these pages. The photographs are also of a high quality and this book takes pride of place in my reference library. Excellent.

Trigger Mortis: A James Bond Novel
Trigger Mortis: A James Bond Novel
by Anthony Horowitz

5.0 out of 5 stars Premium Bond, 4 Nov. 2015
As far as James Bond continuation novels go this is one of the most faithful in both characterisation of Bond and that flow which Kingsley Amis termed, The Fleming Sweep - Author Anthony Horowitz was aided in his task of bringing James Bond back by Ian Fleming himself - Horowitz explains in his afterword that prior to writing the novel he was given access to many of Ian Fleming's papers. Amongst these papers were several outlines, written by Fleming, for episodes of a proposed 007 TV series. One of these outlines saw Bond placed in the extremely dangerous world of Grand Prix.

'I was quite surprised that although Bond had memorably played bridge in Moonraker, golf in Goldfinger and baccarat in Casino Royale, he had never, in any of the novels, taken part in the much more lethal world of Grand Prix. Better still - and this was really exciting for me - Fleming's outline contained a scene with Bond meeting Bill Tanner and M at the Secret Service HQ.' Anthony Horowitz

Horowitz was able to use parts of the scene in the second chapter of his novel, which means of course that a small part of this new Bond was written by Fleming himself. Horowitz of course has already taken on iconic characters such as Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty to great success, and now he tackles James Bond. Of course it could be argued that his Alex Ryder series is basically teenage James Bond but that's an argument for another time.

In Trigger Mortis (dreadful title, that) we find Bond still shacked up with Pussy Galore following the events told in Fleming's Goldfinger. Indeed this new novel is set just two weeks after Goldinger's plans to rob Fort Knox of all that lovely gold.

The Bond of this latest book is classic Bond - chauvinistic, heavy smoking, hard drinking. Horowitz certainly has a good grip on the character and the book carefully follows the blueprint set out over several Bond novels by Fleming himself- we even get the classic style, though ridiculous , scene where the bad guy, this time a Korean named Sin Jai-Seong but known by his Americanised name of Jason Sin tells Bond what he intends to do, the full details of his diabolical plan are laid out to a seemingly doomed 007. Big mistake there Mr Megalomaniac because we know that Bond is going to somehow escape from this latest brush with almost certain death and be able to thwart your dastardly schemes.

'I wonder? Am I acting out of vanity. Am I, perhaps a little too pleased with myself? I do not know - but I suppose I must be as there can be no other reason to explain everything to you. Even so I must be brief.'

Pussy Galore though only plays a small part in this book and the main Bond girl is an American secret service agent with the wonderfully Flemingish name of Jeopardy Lane. But Pussy Galore does have a satisfying arc - in Goldfinger she was a lesbian who was turned by Bond, (never having met a real man, you see) but in this book she finds that her attachment to Bond is only fleeting and she soon leaves him, going off with another woman.

An excellent Bond novel then that feels a lot like Fleming. In fact the only thing I didn't like is the title, Trigger Mortis (which refers to the fail safe device on a USA Vanguard rocket). It's just my opinion but I think Mr Sin would have been a far more Bondian title. I asked Anthony Horowitz about this and he did consider titling the book, Mr Sin, but in the end he went with the actual title. He didn't say why - perhaps Mr Sin would sound too similar to Colonel Sun.

Duns On Bond: An Omnibus of Journalism on Ian Fleming and James Bond
Duns On Bond: An Omnibus of Journalism on Ian Fleming and James Bond

4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, 26 Oct. 2015
Quite excellent...some great criticism on the Bond series.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20