Profile for JackMartin > Reviews

Content by JackMartin

JackMartin "gmdobbs" (wales, uk)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Hitman Anders and the Meaning of It All
Hitman Anders and the Meaning of It All
by Jonas Jonasson

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it...whoever would have thought God would have been so much fun, 22 Jun. 2016
A story of God, organised crime and faith in which Hitman Anders, Sweden's most tattooed assassin finds God after meeting an atheist protestant priest and the receptionist of an hotel cum brothel. If that sounds odd then that's because the book is odd, wonderfully so with quirky characters and a plot that despite its absurdities carries the reader from page to page, a smile never far from his/her face. Of course it is the characters that carry the story as we move from one highly unlikely situation to another. In the hands of a less skilled author something like this could so easily fall flat but Jonasson manages to create a real sense of dangers, particularly with the Count and Countess, the type of couple who never get invited to dinner parties. At the centre of it all is a love story between the priest and the receptionist but this often takes second place to Hitman Ander rebirth as a kind of modern day Robin Hood. Quite wonderful.

Past Masters
Past Masters

5.0 out of 5 stars STONED, 23 May 2016
This review is from: Past Masters (Audio CD)
If you like the early Bluesey Stones, like I do, then you'll love this release. The first side is made of largely of B Sides and obscure studio tracks which means this is lesser known stuff but that doesn't mean its of lesser quality. The first track, Key to the Highway, was recorded in 1964 at the famous Chess studios and it is a lazy blues along the lines of Little Red Rooster. Brilliant. The second track, Meet me in the Bottom comes from a performance on a 1964 edition of Saturday Club and then we're onto Go Homes Girl, with its rhythm that reminds me of Under the Board-walk, is a never before released studio track from 1963.Go Home Girl is again a studio recording from 1963 as is Andrew's Blues - the latter being an improvised jam aimed and Andrew Oldham. The track also includes Phil Spector and Gene Pitney. It is track 7, Stewed and Keefed (Brian's Blues) that is a revelation and shows how tight the rhythm section of the band were. The reast of the first side is a sheer joy, though the three live tracks that end the disc are a bit rough. Side 2 features 14 barnstorming live performances by the early Stones with the tracks recorded from the 1964.1965 world tour. Excellent.

ParaCity 2015 Newest Version M26S Bluetooth Smart Wrist Watch Phone Mate with Dial / Alarm / Music Player / Pedometer for Android iOS iphone 4/4S/5/5S/6 Samsung S5/S4/S3/Note 3 HTC Huawei Xiaomi (Black)
Offered by Power Rider

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this - I'm not that good on tech but ..., 31 Mar. 2016
I love this - I'm not that good on tech but with the aid of my daughter we had it set up in minutes, and I was using it like a pro in no time. It looks good, is comfortable on the wrist and I found the sound pretty good when taking and maiking phone calls. The menu on the screen can be a little fiddly but when you get used to it it works fine and becomes second nature. What more can I say...delighted.

Granny Smith (3 Book Series)
Granny Smith (3 Book Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Now four titles in the series - Granny Smith Investigates ..., 30 Mar. 2016
Now four titles in the series - Granny Smith Investigates, Granny Smith and the Deadly Frogs, Granny Smith: The Welsh Collection and Granny Smith: Murder Plot

Retro Vinyl LP Record Album Square Frame 30 Centimeter 12 Inch Cover Sleeve Wall Art Display - Black
Offered by Findmeagift

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Mar. 2016
The album covers fit perfectly and it looks superb - I'll be getting more of these.

Abbey Road [VINYL]
Abbey Road [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe the Beatles best album, 21 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Abbey Road [VINYL] (Vinyl)
This is an excellent album, one that I would argue is the Beatles best work and that's saying something, since the Beatles never made a truly bad album. The song on this album that usually takes the most flak is MAXWELL'S SILVER HAMMER - This I don't understand as it's a quirky track in the same vein as stuff like Fool on the Hill, Honey Pie and even When I'm 64. It's McCartney doing subversive comedy pop and the lyrics are, to my mind, expertly done - rose and valerie, screaming from the gallery - it's comedy and it's a bloody good song no matter what people say. It's a comedy track about a serial killer...can you get more subversive than that! The Lennon tracks here that really stand out are I Want you (Remarkable), Come Together (brilliant swampy blues.) and the heavenly Because. Macca is also on form with the echo drenched, 1950's sounding Oh Darling and the aforementioned, Maxwell's Silver Hammer. Ringo's contribution, Octopusses Garden may be the best thing he ever did and George gives us two astounding tracks with Here Comes the Sun and Something. The medley on side 2, made up of half finished songs, is the reason that ears were invented. It's a work of genius that has never been bettered in the field of rock/pop music.

In the end the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

The Book Of Souls
The Book Of Souls

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody Excellent - A MASTERPIECE, 15 Mar. 2016
This review is from: The Book Of Souls (Audio CD)
If this album only had the one track - Empire of the Clouds then it would be worth the admission price for that track alone. At nearly eighteen minutes, it is the final track on what is a sprawling album and wow is it a masterpiece. Telling the story of the doomed airship R101 - It is the perfect marrying of music and semi poetic prose. I can't say enough about this song - its basically comes in two parts - starting out in a gentle piano driven fashon it looks down at the launch of the R101 - Brandy and cigars, grey lady giant of the skies - and then no sooner are we airborne then we get a barrage of music, an aploalyptic series of riffs hurling us towards the final act - Now a shadow on a hill, the angel of the east, the empire of the clouds may rest in peace.

The rest of the album is pretty good too but when I think of Book of Souls, I will always associate the album with Empire of the Sun, just as I associate Powerslave with Rhyme of the Anicent Mariner.

One thing I will say is that this album takes a couple of spins to get under your skin, but when it gets there it just won't let up. Hold on I'm going to spin Empire of the Clouds again.

Wilt: (Wilt Series 1)
Wilt: (Wilt Series 1)
by Tom Sharpe

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious from start to finish, 13 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Wilt: (Wilt Series 1) (Paperback)
I first read this book many many years ago when I was in my mid teens, and I remember loving it. I decided to revisit it as an adult but was slightly dubious. Would it be as good as I remembered? To be honest it was even better - most of the humour is broad enough for even a teenage reader to enjoy but there's a sophistication here that must have gone over my head years ago. I think with this re-reading I got more out the book. The book had me laughing like a loon several times and my heart was totally taken by Henry Wilt, the downtrodden everyman who manages to stand up to and best the establishment after a comical series of events culminate in him being arrested for a murder he didn't commit. Several scenes are genuinely side-splitting - the section where the inflatable doll (with a vagina!) is pulled from the concrete filled tomb had me roaring and I had to look around several times in embarresment. I was reading the book while parked up in Tesco's carpark and people passing must have thought that I had lost my mind as I sat there roaring with uncontrollable laughter. The highlight of the book for me where the interrogation scenes between Henry Wilt and the non nonsense policeman, Inspector Flint. These scenes are a masterclass in comedic writing and are among the best written comedy I have ever read.

How could I pick fault with this book when it is just so entertaining. Of course modern readers may find it a little misogynistic and while some of the attitudes may belong firmly to the era in which the book was written, to condemn it for these reasons would be a mistake. Eve Wilt is painted as a truly formidable character. So much so that the reader can empathise with her husband's murderous intentions towards her, and at no point does she feel like an helpless victim. Quite the contrary it is her husband, Henry who comes across as the victim. He is just a passive personality who bumbles his way through the book, while events befall him that will result in him regaining, or perhaps discovering his manhood for the first time, and coming out very much on top. At the end of the book both Henry and Eve Wilt have undergone a transformation and this reader was left with split sides an a urge for more Henry Wilt.

James Bond: The Secret History
James Bond: The Secret History
by Sean Egan

5.0 out of 5 stars A VIEW TO AN EXCELLENT READ., 9 Mar. 2016
I've been a Bond fan for decades and as well as the films, I know the literary series like the back of my hand so I wasn't expecting to find anything new in this book. However the author surprised me and I never realised the connection between Bond and the Dennis Wheatley episionage novels before - Come into my Parlour (1946) featuring the spy, Greagory Sallurst is, the author tells us, the blueprint for Fleming's From Russia with Love. I knew Fleming was influenced by authors such as Ambler, Chandler and Charteris but I was unaware of the connections with Wheatley and immediately after reading this book I purchased a copy of Come into my Parlour. As well as uncovering Bond's heritage the book covers all of the movies and novels as well as most of the continuation novels. There's some great quotes from Bond authors such as Raymond Benson and Jeremy Dunns which to my mind makes this book indespensable for Bond fans.

Well written in a chatty style I found myself racing through the pages.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2016 9:15 AM BST

Rubber Soul
Rubber Soul
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply - FAB, 21 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Rubber Soul (Audio CD)
This album in my opinion represents the time when the Beatles music actually became art. There were inklings of this on earlier albums, but from this point on the Beatles simply left everyone else in their tracks. Other artists are still trying to catch up. Revolver would come next and the final track on that album, Tomorrow Never Knows still sounds as if it comes from sometime in the distant future. I've been a Beatle nut for more than thirty years now, as anyone who knows me can attest, and I must have heard each song a trillion times but I never tire of the band. I've always loved my music and am a fan of a lot of other bands but the Beatles are in a league of their own Always were, always will be.

The review here is for the mono vinyl edition and all I can say is, 'WOW, FAB, GEAR, GROOVY AND ALL THAT'. The album goes everywhere, with all emotions covered and each track (even Ringo's) is simply fantastic. Rubber Soul, man....you need this in your collection.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20