Profile for DJFearRoss > Reviews

Content by DJFearRoss

DJFearRoss "DJFearRoss"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
The Hare and the Tortoise: And Other Animal Stories (Aesop's Fables for the Very Young)
by Sally Grindley

2.0 out of 5 stars Stories with no lessons to learn., 13 Oct 2014
Terrible stories. There are 18 stories in this book and about 2 or 3 are worth reading. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any proper ending to the rest, something which the child would learn something or 'the moral of the story is...'. For example, the last story is about a fly sitting comfortably on a bulls horns, then when she decides to fly away she thanks the bull and the bull says he didn't even know she was there... and that's it. I tried my best to invent a lesson from each story because there isn't always one.

The illustrations are good, hence the 2 stars, else 1.

Maxi-Cosi Rodi Air Protect/XP Car Seat Summer Cover (Cool Grey)
Maxi-Cosi Rodi Air Protect/XP Car Seat Summer Cover (Cool Grey)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits Jane Montecarlo R1, 26 Sep 2014
Bought to cover a Jane Montecarlo R1 carseat cover Fits pretty good, not 100% perfect but good enough.

One For All Xsight Lite Universal Remote Control with LCD Colour Display
One For All Xsight Lite Universal Remote Control with LCD Colour Display

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work with device and Customer service terrible,, 7 Mar 2014
I had a DVB-T which was old and dated. I checked using the ALLFORONE online wizard which remote would be compatible with my device. It stated this one.

I bought it and it wasn't. I emailed them regarding this and got an email saying to send them my old broken remote, device manual etc and they would try to fix it, add the codes to their website and refund me all delivery charges. I replied saying, you can buy a new one for 9 euros and the manual can also be downloaded from the manufactures website. I never heard back.

I replied several times (to their automated email) saying if they don't sort this out I will leave an appropriate review on Amazon, which i'm doing now.

My advise before buying a remote with them is to email them your EXACT model number first and let them confirm they have the codes for it first. They don't make this information available before hand on their website, only once you've got your remote and downloaded the software for it do you notice your model number isn't there. Their guarantee is that they 'work with all brands' but... not all models. SLY!

Would have given this one star but it does work with my TV and DVD player and has a learning function, so i'll buy the new remote myself and hopefully codes the signals over.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2014 10:13 PM BST

Inflatable Punchbag
Inflatable Punchbag
Offered by Gadget Grotto

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite there...., 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: Inflatable Punchbag (Toy)
Started off good, but then kids (3 and 2yr old mind you) managed to get a hole in it and water went everywhere.
I patched up the hole, but the item always deflates after a few hours.

Sonic Nitro Junior Boys BMX Bike - Bright Yellow, 16 Inch
Sonic Nitro Junior Boys BMX Bike - Bright Yellow, 16 Inch

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks nice in the photo and so does the price but...., 27 Jan 2014
I bought this bike and gave it to my child. The next day I took it to the shop to have the front break fixed, which we (3 adults) couldn't get working. The guy looked at the bike and said, "this is a poor quality bike".

The photo looks great and so does the price. You might be wondering why there are no close up photos, I believe it is so you cannot see the cheap parts this has. Even the breaks are plastic, the whole hand part and hardly work. All very well buying a cheap bike, but safety shouldn't be compromised.

The strangest part for me is that as this bike seemed too big and heavy (which was strange as all his friends were riding 16" bikes as well), I took him to the bike shop to actually try some proper bikes out. When we finally decided on one which matched his size, I inquired about the size and was told it was a 16" as well. When i got home and put them side by side, I noticed this sonic bike made him sit about 12cm higher so his feet could never touch the ground.

He's fine with his newer bike but wants nothing to do with this yellow beast of a bike. I learned a valuable lesson about buying bikes online.

SmartLab You Explore it Human Body Model Kit with 32 Page Insides Out Book
SmartLab You Explore it Human Body Model Kit with 32 Page Insides Out Book

2.0 out of 5 stars Expected a lot based on reviews, but was disappointed., 13 Jan 2014
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
Very fiddly. I thought it would be a good way for me and the kids to learn about body parts and where they go. This is not true, it's so tricky to put in the body parts that you end up leaving it once you've done so. I ended up shouting at my child because as soon as I put it all together again, he just took them all out! I assumed there would be right and wrong places and if you got it wrong, the pieces would obviously not fit. This isn't the case, you can just squash any body part anywhere. Even if you have them in the correct place, they just fall out.

The parts are not just squishy, they are sticky meaning they attract a lot of dirt. Also, as others mentioned the tweezers broke after 1 minute!
I'm sure there must be better ones out there...

BWC Atom X12 MiKi 4 Inch HD Screen Dual SIM Android Smartphone with Capacitive Touch Screen and WiFI, 2G and 3G connectivity
Offered by MobiCity UK Limited

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, for the price., 5 Jan 2014
I was at first very happy with my purchase and would have given it 5stars. A smartphone for less than 60 quid? Not bad.
Firstly i'm not a phone boy, so I don't really past my time playing and talking about phones. Why I really wanted a smartphone was to use the WhatsApp (which has now become the only way of communication for some people!) and Dual Sim, so this appeared to meet my requirements perfectly.

For the price I wasn't expecting much so was surprised that the phone didn't seem tacky and cheap on receipt. It even came with headphones, spare battery, dual charger (never even seen one before!) The negs i've had are as follows;

1) Nearly everything is in a Chinese language, so there was alot of deleting to do. Be advised, somethings, like the manual are in Chinese but you cannot delete it.
2) Low hearing, not too sure where the volume control is to boost the speaker.
3) Dual sim (my main reason for buying this). Note, sim2 is not 3G, i knew this, but didn't think it would be a big deal. But now regret this as it means moving SIMS around to get to use your operators internet. I assume this will mess my settings up for everything, so have just left it as it is.
4) I have a contract in Spain (ONO) but this phone constantly shows me as roaming, even though i have roaming deactivated with the operator directly. I spent ages changing settings but to no avail. It also (annoyingly) keeps telling me that i'm on roaming and that 'no local SIM is available', whenever I try to make a call. (I can still make the call, but it's one more screen to bypass)
5) Wi-fi is fine, although the signal bars often tell me i've got a poor signal. Not sure why that is.
6) Mobile internet seems abit slow, I assume i need to configure it properly. There are no settings for this phone from the operator as it's not that popular.

Despite all this, I still would have given it 4 stars due to price, the only reason I marked it down was because after a week, I got condensation appearing on the screen. I would have given it back, but only realised once i went to switch my phone off whilst on the plane.! Luckily it hasn't got any worse and doesn't effect performance.

I contact Amazon asking them about the manual who for once were not very helpful, even telling me they couldn't find the website of the seller to find out?!
I contacted the seller directly as the website is easy to find, but they told me to contact Amazon.

Uhlsport Ball pump
Uhlsport Ball pump

5.0 out of 5 stars Good thread, 27 Nov 2013
This review is from: Uhlsport Ball pump (Sports)
I had another pump before but it stopped working. The problem was the needle went directly into the thread on the pump and the thread was plastic. This meant over time the thread wore down and the needle doesn't stay in. This pump covers this issue with a metal thread for the needle and plus the needle can go in the bendy adapter. This pump seems quite a bit harder to pump than others but it also seems to do it quicker. Very happy with this purchase, which I bought it in the first place. I removed a star though as the needle is a a lot thicker than my other one and hence more difficult to enter the ball. Some people may not be aware, but this needle needs to go deeper into the ball than other ones or you will not be able to pump.

edit.04-12-13
I've noticed that this pump has actually ruined my kids basketball. The needle is too big and after forcing it in the holes, air now escapes the ball. AVOID THIS ONE!
edit.08-01-14
Appears not to have effected the other balls.
edit.14-04-14
Re-pumped basket ball and it appears to be OK!

Raleigh Jet Boys Bike - Blue, 12 Inch
Raleigh Jet Boys Bike - Blue, 12 Inch

4.0 out of 5 stars Good starting bike., 20 Sep 2013
My son had a balance bike and then switched to this one as he wanted one with pedals I wanted a small cheap bike as i noticed many parents buy their young children big quality bikes thinking that they'll grow into them, then all that happens is that the child falls off and then hardly uses it. This bike is perfect for a first bike (apart from balance bikes which should be looked at first). It's heavy meaning that they can't go sprinting off and hurt themselves. I had the stabilizers off in 2 days such is the benefit of the balance bikes.

However, after around 6 months, once his skills have started to improve, I'm starting to notice this bike is too heavy for him so he struggles to go fast at all. Maybe a conventional bike, with air in tyres rather than solid plastic would be better. Also, maybe one slightly (just slightly) bigger. I don't regret buying this bike as he has used it a lot, but this bike to me is more of a step from balance bike to a proper child's bike.

I had no problem with quality of the bike, which to me seems VERY strong. This bike has had a lot of use and is still in the condition he more or less received it in.

Diono Shade Maker Universal Stroller Sun Shade Canopy (Black)
Diono Shade Maker Universal Stroller Sun Shade Canopy (Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit annoying, 20 Sep 2013
It does the job, but it would be nice if it had a window (or similar) or had something to tie it back when not in use. Reason being is that this thing covers so well, that if you wish to see your child you have to stop and walk to front of the pushchair to see if he/she is ok. Apart from that, this is a good, durable product and I'd recommend it.

Used on Mclaren.