Profile for A. Shearwani > Reviews

Content by A. Shearwani

A. Shearwani "daisypwincess" (Southend, Essex)

Page: 1 | 2
The Hating Game
The Hating Game

4.0 out of 5 stars EX-cellent, 1 April 2012
This review is from: The Hating Game (Kindle Edition)
This book is the second book I've read by Talli Roland (I went on to read the third - Watching Willow Watts after this), and I think (like a lot of others are saying), she could become a firm favourite in my chick lit collection.

Like Build-a-man (the book I really enjoyed, that led me to seek out other Talli Roland books), this was well observed and fun. I really warmed to the main character and was rooting for her all the way through, as she was refreshingly the opposite of most chick lit protagonists. It gave such a well humoured, and sometimes scary insight into how reality TV works, which made for entertaining and thought provoking reading. OK so it is still chick lit, but at least it carried a valid message. And do you know what I loved it!

The only faults I could find, was the lack of character development for Jess and sometimes the suspension of dis-believe that the main character would have gone through with it all, though that was explained adequately enough with her debts etc.... Also the first few pages were a bit gratuitous and far fetched. PLUS I'd have liked more fall out and reaction over the Adam situation towards the end...

On the whole, another cracking read from Talli and I look forward to what else she comes up with. (I'll be pre-ordering Build a couple or whatever the sequal to build a man is rumoured to be called)

Watching Willow Watts
Watching Willow Watts
Price: 1.95

3.0 out of 5 stars It didn't set my world on fire, 1 April 2012
In short this book is about a normal girl from a sleepy village in the Cotwolds whose life gets flip turned upside down when a you tube clip of her impersonating Marilyn Monroe goes viral, because it looks like the ghost of Marilyn herself is floating behind her.

I found it too slow for the most of it, and having read Build a man and the hating game, i was surprised by this. The characters were interesting enough and the story was OK. It gave good insight into the media crazed world and that kind of thing....

My favourite thing about the book was Betts and Dickie, and actually I'd have sooner read a star crossed romance about these two, but hey ho! By the end it picked up pace and I quite enjoyed it, but all in all mediocre. Not bad, just not all that good either.

Mile High Guy (Irish Romantic Comedy)
Mile High Guy (Irish Romantic Comedy)
Price: 1.53

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Happens but thats OK I guess, 21 Mar 2012
First up, I have to comment that the spelling, grammar and formatting of this book were dreadful. And in many ways it read like a rough first draft or something. Definitely needed a few more read through's and tweeks before publishing!!

Also, I read it over a week, few pages here and there, and if someone had asked me "what I was reading and what it was about", I'd have drawn a blank... Nothing seemed to happen, the main character seemed to lose her head a bit over an actor who appears about twice in the whole book and only briefly at that. We barely got to know him at all, and it made it hard to believe that she was that bothered by him. The whole referring to herself as single thing was irritating too, she'd been with Tim for 3 years?! Plus she seemed to have no real friends, no real love or care in her life and we expect to believe that Mike was mad for her and her him at the end... Hmmm... I think the lack of connections, interactions and appearances from any other characters led it it lacking substance, and again nothing really happening.

That said, typing errors aside, I liked the first person writing style, it was fun and pacey. Plus, it was readable, in a mind numbing way, and made me giggle a few times. I also didn't pay for it, got it for free on Kindle, so can hardly moan! However, I do feel that until I can afford to download books from established authors, I may be heading back to the library and dipping into physical books again.

Build A Man
Build A Man
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Build a man? Build a 5-star review more like!, 14 Mar 2012
This review is from: Build A Man (Kindle Edition)
Based on Serenity (what a name), an American girl from a hippy family in Maine. Working for her boyfriend a cosmetic surgeon, dealing with the most hideous clientèle, whilst harbouring dreams of becoming a tabloid journalist. That is until Jeremy walks in to the surgery, with a battered self-esteem and plans to have every procedure known to 'man'.

I didn't expect to at the start, but I really warmed and related to Serenity. I also fell in love with Jeremy. I hate hate hated Peter and I could take or leave her friends. Actually I think her relationship with her best friend was poorly developed and that was my one and only criticism of the book, the poor development made it hard to warm to her friends.

This book had so many moments that made me laugh out loud, and even a few that made me tut or gasp aloud too. I was so cross with Peter all the way through, he was such a horrible, arrogant, unlike able man!

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and read it in no time because I couldn't put it down!

Rubbish Boyfriends
Rubbish Boyfriends
Price: 0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars I wrote a song, I wrote a song for you...., 14 Mar 2012
This book was based on a a 27 year old (just like me), going through labour and for some reason (I can't remember why), she was flashing back to her boyfriends past with every centimetres dilation (sp?!). It more or less read like a life story from leaving school, to ending up on her back in the labour ward giving birth, with the father not being revealed to the final page. From other reviews, I felt people had a real sense of who's the daddy while reading this book. I have to admit, I didn't have the sense, infact, I more or less forgot the whole childbirth aspect of it till the end. I was a little disappointed that the start of the book took the reader through each boyfriend in good detail and then suddenly at the end it all went blurry and hazy and dare I say a little rushed? and how she ended up pregnant with who she did could have done with some kind of explanation...

A few reviews I have read were quite critical of the main protagonist, and I have to say I back that view. She was frustratingly hard to like and sympathise with, particularly in her relationship with her father, she got on my nerves there. Also, her relationship with Simon got on my nerves and I didn't find his character believable. Whereas a lot of the smaller characters such as her dad, step mum and best friends, were some of the best. However, my favourite character in the book was Chris Martin, HA! I loved that twist, and guessed it was someone famous quite quick then worked it out way before it was revealed. I think it would have been better left at that, and was really annoyed when she met up with him again and when a bigger deal was made of it towards the end, the subtlety of it at the start was lovely, and made me feel like I had an in-joke with the author.

What I did like though, was that this book was very easy reading, entertaining enough, and made me think about my "rubbish boyfriends" past.

Bengali Girls Don't: Based on a True Story (Memoirs of a Muslim Daughter)
Bengali Girls Don't: Based on a True Story (Memoirs of a Muslim Daughter)
Price: 1.99

2.0 out of 5 stars So much potential, but so lacking...., 28 Feb 2012
This is a very sad story of a girl whose life is completely taken from her for the first 30 or more years of her life (as I will go onto mention, the writing of this book makes it confusing at times, so not sure on times anymore) ...

The synopsis is full of promise, the book itself is full of promise, but the writing style and the content lets it down completely.

I was pulled in from the first page, as it started in the midst of the war between East and West Pakistan, and it was an all action start. And actually the first third or so of the book was an engaging, interesting read, and I think it was this that kept me going till the end.

I was frustrated by the way that the book was full of jumps and gaps, and some things not explained enough and others too much... Sometimes the book would touch on something that sounded interesting, then you'd not hear of it again which was confusing and so frustrating. Also, once Luky was married, it seemed to skim over the whole marriage and skip 17 years in a heart beat, which didn't really push home the level of abuse and suffering it was supposed to, as it all was so quick compared to the happier beginnings in Bradford. I also found it confusing how lots of characters (like siblings, cousins etc) were written about but not introduced properly, even at the start we went from Luky being a new born and therefore the youngest with two older brothers, to Luky having 3 younger sisters, I think... not sure... Oh and when Luky gave birth, it was rushed over like it meant nothing... I don't even understand how she got to America.... I could go on for ages about gaps and confusions I had, but on the whole I am trying to say, WOW IT WAS GAPPY!!

One other thing I found difficult was the style of writing jumped around, at one point around mid way, it changed from being told like a story in third person, to being told through transcripts of therapy (I think?!?! I wasn't totally sure), it then jumped back and forth with no warning between the two styles of writing. Very strange, and seemed like an afterthought to do it that way which was then plonked in half way..

On the whole, Luky clearly has a fascinating life story to tell, but it needs to be told in a better manner.

Pear Shaped
Pear Shaped
Price: 1.49

5.0 out of 5 stars surprisingly tasty!, 16 Feb 2012
This review is from: Pear Shaped (Kindle Edition)
Starting this book, it took me a while to adjust to the present tense form of writing, or even totally follow it, and I almost gave up, but I am SO glad I persevered!!

Another reviewer pointed out that it made them re-live old relationships etc, and I am inclined to say I agree. It truly brought to the surface for me, a lot of the issues I have been left with after 8 years with my own version of 'James' .... James in this book was an exaggerated version of my ex, sure my ex actually told me he loved me, and didn't run off with a model, nor was he a millionaire.. But my ex was fairly well off, overweight, and critical of my weight fluctuations. Reading this book made me realise things about myself I didn't realise before, I thought my ex's behaviour was normal and that I was the one with a problem, but NO, like Sophie, I had been taken for a ride by someone who didn't deserve me! Don't worry I also found my Will, who loves me however I am, and treats me well!

Enough about me! The book was full of lovely foodie descriptions, hilarious moments, cringe moments, teary eyed moments and a main character you could really root for! For the last third of the book, I just wanted to shake her out of her gloom and by the end I was shouting LOOK AT WILL he is lovely!!!!!!

Escape
Escape

4.0 out of 5 stars easy lazy escapist read, 10 Feb 2012
This review is from: Escape (Kindle Edition)
Got this for free on my Kindle... And read it in two sittings almost... Was surprisingly enjoyable, was a nice bit of escapism on a snowy day to a hot balmy paradise island in Thailand. It painted a lovely picture in the mind, and had enough happening to keep me turning the pages. It was very predictable, and easy, but it was perfect for snuggling up with on a cold night! I think there was a lot of scope to make this a much longer more in depth novel, for instance, I'd liked the main character to have formed more of a bond with the two girls she met and get some more development on who they were... as well as more development on how she came to need the escape and more on why her love interest (sorry all names have escaped my brain), was so scarred by his ex... But this is in no way a complaint, but a mere suggestion of how it could have been improved.

Also, I agree with the other reviewer who complained about the use of the term "ER Doctor" ..... don't you mean casualty or A & E....???

I went on to seek out M.K. Elliott's other work, and was not overly impressed, all seemed to be erotica .... I downloaded "Some Like it Hot" which I won't bother to review separately, but it made me question the true gender / identity of MK Elliott, as some like it hot did not sound like the work of a female author, maybe that's just me...

But if you like easy reads which don't stretch your brain too far, this is super duper! I suppose it is a bit Emily Barr meets Mills and Boon, but that suited my mood just fine!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 10, 2012 6:13 PM GMT

Molly's Millions
Molly's Millions
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't want it to end, 3 Feb 2012
This review is from: Molly's Millions (Kindle Edition)
This book was quite slow to start, and the first few chapters I struggled to read it, and even considered giving up, but something stopped me and I'm glad...

All of a sudden it picked up pace, and I was hooked... Loved all the different characters we got to meet along the way, and I loved the sunshine Gerbera! It made me laugh at points, and made me cry! I got to the end and was gutted it was over, there was so much more I wanted to read about! There is definitely more than enough ammo for a sequel, maybe one based on Marty and Susannah, or maybe one based on Cynthia.... or maybe just Molly and Tom and Flora?

I loved the philanthropic nature of the book, I loved the romance, the fun, the tour of Britain (lovely!) and considering this book was 99p, I am delighted with it!

Off now to see what else this author (first I've heard of her), has written!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2012 7:53 PM BST

Something from Tiffany's
Something from Tiffany's
Price: 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A real page turner, 26 Jan 2012
I must admit, I only downloaded this to my kindle because it was 99p in the January sale.

However, I am glad I did, it was a lovely read. From start to finish I was screaming at Ethan to just tell someone what was going on, but that made it all the more enjoyable, as I just had to keep reading to see how he'd ever sort out the sorry mess of the switched Tiffanys bags!

Sure the character of Daisy was slightly far fetched, but the other characters were believable and put across in a subtle manner. I could feel through the book the coldness of Vanessa, without the author telling us that for example.

This book was also full of twists, and I've seen some reviews saying this book was predictable, but I'm not so sure.... The end to me was a surprise as the whole book seemed to be geated towards a certain two characters not being right for each other, and although it was a realistic and not all sugar coated ending, I was still finding it hard to believe...

But on the whole, I found this book fun, engaging and a real page turner, and will be checking out more books from this author!

Page: 1 | 2