Profile for Killian Beashel > Reviews

Content by Killian Beashel

Killian Beashel

Time Out Of Joint (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Time Out Of Joint (S.F. MASTERWORKS)

4.0 out of 5 stars Poor Ending, Otherwise Perfect, 26 Dec 2012
This is my first PKD book and by no means will be my last. The plot is highly original and even though it is not very exciting, PKD's fabulous writing style keeps you turning the pages.

Few plots have gripped and excited me in the way that this one did. It is a haunting, chilling story of a man who believes himself to be going insane. As Gumm's paranoia increases, we begin to see the wider picture. I will not say any more for fear of giving something away.

However, I agree with some of the other reviewers in saying that the ending does not satisfyingly round off the plot. Compared to the rest of the book, it is pretty unoriginal and dull. Also (this is just me being finicky) the last sentence is awful. At the ending of a book like 'Time Out of Joint', the last sentence should resound and carry weight, if you take my meaning. The last sentence here was written like someone grabbed his pen away at the end of a paragraph, it's almost like the publishers forgot to print the last few lines.

However, if you ignore the ending, I couldn't find any other problems with this book. Not all people will like this book as much as I did, but I still highly recommend it to anyone who wants to get away from the 'Guns and Explosions' type of SF.

The Dying Earth
The Dying Earth

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Dying Earth (Kindle Edition)
This was Vance's first book, and so far the only one I have read. However, it will not be the last. The world of the Dying Earthv definately ranks amon the likes of Tolkien and Jordan as one of the best and most diverse fantasy worlds.
Vance's descriptions are etheral and beautiful. I have never read an author who could use language in this way before. His different characters and species are well thought out and highly interesting.
All of the short stories are brilliant, but my personal favourite was 'Ulan Dhor'. Overall, a true gem of a book and the only reason it didn't get 5 stars was because I have read a couple of better books (A Game of Thrones, The Shadow Rising).
READ THIS BOOK!!!

The Sword Of Shannara: Shannara: Book One
The Sword Of Shannara: Shannara: Book One

1.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the worst fantasy novel ever, 2 Dec 2012
Several other reviewers have said that this is a good teen book and how they loved it when they were, quote, 'young and undiscerning'. I beg to differ. I am 14 and have been reading fantasy for almost a year now. I found this book among the worst that I have ever read. The world is 2D. This is very annoying seeing as it does have an interesting history ... which Brooks does not develop. The descriptions swing between nonexistent (for example we never actually know what Culhaven looks like) to repetative (yes, you do not have to tell us what a forest looks like on every second page). I also disagree with another reviewer who said that even though this is a complete rip-off of the LoTR, are'nt all fantasy books about 'someone trying to stop an evil person from getting some powerful weapon'. I could list many fantasy novels that are much more original than that, the Wheel of Time, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Riftwar trilogy, the Drenai novels, the Dying Earth, the list goes on and on. This stereotypical generalisation of fantasy is just a pathetic excuse for a bad, unoriginal plot.
Yes, this book is moderatly exciting, but there is no character development, bad dialogue and the writing is dull and uninspiring.
I was amazed when, as I was in a bookshop, that, on one o Brooks' books Christopher Paolini, creator of the 'Inheritance Cycle' had said 'If you haven't read Brooks, then you haven't read fantasy.' I was agape with horror at this statement. Paolini, saying that this Tolkien rip-off was the pinnacle of fantasy? It was madness. He must have been tortured of paid a lot of money to say such a thing.
Overall, this is a mediocre 2D book in a mediocre, 2D world with mediocre 2D characters and one of the most unoriginal storylines that I have read. These Tolkien rip-offs (I feel like I am using that phrase a lot) are the type of books that make people take fantasy as a trashy, bad genre. I was pleased that I had got this book from my local library rather than having to spend money on what is certainly one of the worst fantasy novels that I have ever read. If you want some proper fantasy, read any of the novels that I mentioned above.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2013 3:51 PM GMT

The Power of Five: Oblivion
The Power of Five: Oblivion

4.0 out of 5 stars The End (at last!), 11 Nov 2012
I have been diligently waiting for four years to read this book. Its been so long that I didn't even remember the five gatekeepers names. However, the wait has beem worth it. The post-apocalyptic Earth that Horowitz has created is brlliantly described. The storyline is fast-paced, dramatic and just, simply, amazing. The ending is very good(albeit a little rushed). However, I do have couple of minor issues. Firstly, it is incredibly predictable, at times I could have literally told you was going to happen next without having to read it. Also, the book jumped around alot. This is fine, most books have to jump around from place to plae to follow all the characters. The problem I have is that Horowitx would tell you about a character, we would have a big, exciting climax - and then he would whisk us off to some other place and the plot would slow right down. He neglected some of the characters, chiefly Jamie, whose story I found to be the most absorbing. Also, later on in the book, an entire army conviently makes its way to Antarctica to help the Gatekeepers (bearing in mind that very few people on the planet have ever heard of the Old Ones). However, this still is a stunning conclusion to what was an equally stunning series.

Deadhouse Gates: (Malazan Book Of Fallen 2) (The Malazan Book Of The Fallen)
Deadhouse Gates: (Malazan Book Of Fallen 2) (The Malazan Book Of The Fallen)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great plot, bad characters, 22 Aug 2012
I never really figured out why I read this book. I did not enjoy the first book as much as many of the other reviewers did, so why I decided to read DG is a mystery to me. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The book got off to a good start. One of the main problems I had with GotM was that half the time I had no idea what was going on. I did'nt have a clue what the Deck of Dragons was, what an ascendant was, or what the Warrens were. Thankfully, Erikson answered those questions in this book. The opening chapters were all very good but I think that it fell away and dragged on a bit in the middle. However, I still found the plot well put together and enjoyable. I do not mind reading very long books (and that is a skill you need when reading Erikson) but I found this length unnessessary. Even after all these problems, I still would have given the book 4 stars, had the characters been better. The good plot was ruined by awful characters whose only emotions seemed to be fear, hate, and an eagerness to kill anything that moves. they were all devoid of compassion and had a curious inability to be happy. If the next book (Memories of Ice) isn't better than this, I'll have to say goodbye to Erikson for good. several reviewers on Book 3 have called Erikson the best epic fantasy writer ever. I beg to differ. Compare him to the likes of George R. R. Martin and Robert Jordan. Erikson isn't even close to them.

The Lost Continent: Travels in Small Town America
The Lost Continent: Travels in Small Town America

4.0 out of 5 stars The Lost Continent, 8 July 2012
I have read several books by BB and this is definately one of the best. His style is funny, yet at times serious and sincere. it dosn't exactly inspire you to pack your bags and immediately fly to America, it gives us a more realistic view of the country.