Profile for Gareth Brooke > Reviews

Content by Gareth Brooke

Gareth Brooke (Leeds, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Rockferry
Rockferry
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 3.73

5.0 out of 5 stars [] Rockferry, 24 Feb 2008
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
Duffy is absolutely brilliant and I love her soulful voice. There are obvious comparisons with Amy Winehouse but why act like thats a bad thing? I'm sure Duffy will have the same success as Amy Winehouse and I'm loving the fact that quality soul acts are coming out of the UK recently.

Rockferry - 5/10 - Not exactly my cup of tea but Duffy does give a good vocal performance on this song which is enough to save it from being a title track filler.

Mercy - 10/10 - I absolutely love this song and it is quite rightly placed at number 1 in the UK charts at the moment. I love the old soul sound and Duffy's voice is perfect for this type of song. Absolutely brilliant.

Warwick Avenue - 10/10 - Another brilliant song that has some Amy Winehouse qualities to it which certainly isn't a bad thing. I personally feel this should be a single.

Serious - 8/10 - Again, another good song from the album and I like it a lot. Something about the begining of the song makes me think its some sort of Natasha Bedingfield song until the chorus hits and then Duffy just takes over the song and makes it all hers.

Distant Dreamer - 4/10 - Not the best song on the album at all. Its ok but certainly isn't my cup of tea.. just seems like a little filler track for the end of the album?

Syrup & Honey - 10/10 - I've only heard a live recording of this song which wasn't the best quality but it was still enough to lure me to the song. It's a proper soul acoustic song and Duffy is again on top form and could easily be my favourite (if it wasn't for Mercy or Warwick Avenue lol)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2008 1:54 PM GMT

Sleep Through The Static
Sleep Through The Static
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 12.29

5.0 out of 5 stars [] Sleep Through The Static, 7 Feb 2008
This is the first Jack Johnson album I've purchased. I've obviously heard of him before but never actually been motivated to buy his music and see what it's like for myself and after listening to this album I can't think why?

This album is absolutely excellant and I love his soft rock/soul/acoustic style its just the type of music I love and after hearing this album I just had to go out and get his other albums!

Great album & it's a must-have!!

Price: 6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars []19, 10 Jan 2008
This review is from: 19 (Audio CD)
This debut album from Adele is absolutely excellant. Not only has she got a great soulful voice but she also has great material and can sing live which I think makes this the best debut since Lily Allen back in 2006!

If you love witty lyrics (Lily Allen, Kate Nash, Arctic Monkeys) that are sung in a soulful voice (Amy Winehouse, James Morrison) then this is the album for you.

Stand out tracks =

Daydreamer
Melt My Heart To Stone
Hometown Glory

Back To Black [Deluxe Edition]
Back To Black [Deluxe Edition]
Price: 11.32

5.0 out of 5 stars [] Back To Black: Deluxe Edition, 6 Jan 2008
all i can say is WOW. i love her style. i love her music. i love her voice. i love her soul sound. i love everything about Amy Winehouse. the UK has finally found an excellant soul singer who does soul music and is proud of the fact and im so glad. i love this album!!!

to be honest i didnt really hear much of her first album, Frank... i heard a few songs but i wasnt hooked but this album is excellant and i love it a lot its easily one of the best albums this year and album sales show this.

stand out tracks =

My Conscience & I
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 4.39

5.0 out of 5 stars [] My Conscience & I, 18 Dec 2007
This review is from: My Conscience & I (Audio CD)
Forget Lily Allen.
Forget Lady Sovereign.
Forget Arctic Monkeys.
Meet the new ambassador of witty and clever lyrics.. Remi Nicole.

I heard her demo songs a while back through her myspace page so I knew straight away what I was gonna be hearing on her debut album and I weren't dissapointed.. a wonderful collection of cleverly lyriced songs on funky indie/urban beats!

I love this album and I usually name the stand out tracks on an album but I seriously cant with this release it is flawless and a great debut from a great artist.

Offered by cd_lp
Price: 9.41

5.0 out of 5 stars [] Chasing Pavements, 17 Dec 2007
This review is from: Chasing Pavements (Audio CD)
Meet Adele, a girl who mixes Lily Allen-type lyrics with an Amy Winehouse-like soul voice and you have a unique artist indeed which is shown indefinately on her debut single, Chasing Pavements.

This is an excellant song and Adele sings it so well and shes even excellant live too (Jonathan Ross show).

A definate star in 2008 so watch out for Adele.

Alan Carr - Tooth Fairy LIVE [DVD]
Alan Carr - Tooth Fairy LIVE [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alan Carr
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT
Price: 2.70

5.0 out of 5 stars [] Tooth Fairy LIVE, 8 Dec 2007
After recently watching this DVD I knew I just had to complete a review of it on here. In my opinion this is the best piece of stand up comedy I've seen in a long time.

Alan Carr has the energy to keep you interested in what he is talking about and when he includes aspects of his life into his routine (previous jobs, his fathers ambitions for him etc) it gives the act a more dynamic and personal feel and it leaves you wanting more.

I've always liked Alan Carr (The Friday Night Project) and I was so pleased that he chose to do a stand up comedy act because it is absolutely excellant and I can't wait for more material from him!

Heartbroken
Heartbroken

5.0 out of 5 stars [] Heartbroken, 29 Nov 2007
This review is from: Heartbroken (Audio CD)
It is so good to see that a bassline track is finally gaining interest from the general public.
As a big fan of the bassline scene I have obviously heard this track many months ago when T2 & Jodie Aysha first brough it to the clubs but it is a credit to the bassline scene to see this track released and doing so well in the charts (currently number 2).

Sadly I see this as being a one-time thing and I don't see other bassline songs gaining as much interest but it is good for the artist and the scene whilst it lasts.

The song is excellant and deserves every success!

Spirit
Spirit
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.57

5.0 out of 5 stars [] Spirit, 12 Nov 2007
This review is from: Spirit (Audio CD)
Leona Lewis is everywhere these days and part of me wanted her album to be rubbish but it just isn't!

I downloaded her album and its absolutely fantastic every track is worthy to be a single... 2008 is going to be a massive year for Leona. I love her.

Stand out tracks =

Bleeding Love
Take A Bow

Blackout
Blackout
Offered by filmrollen
Price: 3.48

2.0 out of 5 stars [] Blackout, 30 Oct 2007
This review is from: Blackout (Audio CD)
To be fair, this album isn't as bad as some of the other rubbish that it out right now but to say this is meant to be a 'rebirth' of britney spears; one of the biggest recording artists of the last decade.. I was expecting a lot better.

Buy the album if your a die-hard britney fan but other people wont think much of this album.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6