Profile for Gareth Brooke > Reviews

Content by Gareth Brooke

Gareth Brooke (Leeds, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Slumdog Millionaire - Music From The Motion Picture
Slumdog Millionaire - Music From The Motion Picture

5.0 out of 5 stars [] Slumdog Millionaire - Music From The Motion Picture, 17 Feb. 2009
A definate must have album, the Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack manages to capture the best music from the film and also present the genre to a much more wider audience.

Personally I think M.I.A's input is crucial and feel her tracks bring the whole interacial theme together!

Definately a must have!

Millionaire

Only by the Night
Only by the Night

5.0 out of 5 stars [] Only By The Night, 13 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Only by the Night (Audio CD)
Not usually a major lover of the rock genre, this album would of passed me by without any thought if it wasnt for the mega debut single that was 'Sex Is On Fire'.

After getting the album I've found that I love it. The songs are so catchy and I love practically every song. Definately a lover of Kings Of Leon now and cant wait for their next effort.

Closer
Sex On Fire
Use Somebody
Be Somebody

It's Not Me It's You
It's Not Me It's You

5.0 out of 5 stars [] Its Not Me Its You, 13 Feb. 2009
This review is from: It's Not Me It's You (Audio CD)
So here it is at last, Lilys sophomore effort and to be honest I think its well worth the wait!!

An obvious change in sound from that of her debut album but a much welcome change indeed. Lily is still on top form with her lyrical content (if not better) and this album is definately going to be as successful as her first effort.

The Fear
F**k You
Who'd Have Known
He Wasn't There

The Sound of Bassline 2
The Sound of Bassline 2

5.0 out of 5 stars [] The Sound Of Bassline 2, 19 Jan. 2009
This review is from: The Sound of Bassline 2 (Audio CD)
Well this is definately a better mix than the first CD than the original 'Sound Of Bassline' and it contains many more songs that fewer people will have heard. Theres still the odd tracks on the album that are quite commercial but definatrely more material that shows the bassline scene in a better light and giving more bassline artists the chance to become more well known (than your usual Jodie Aysha, H20 etc)

Brilliant album and I hope they make a 3rd volume.

We Are Together
We Are Together
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

5.0 out of 5 stars [] We Are Together, 3 Aug. 2008
This review is from: We Are Together (Audio CD)
After watching the documentary last night on TV I can't say I was suprised to find this CD at #1 on the bestsellers list.

The CD is a beautiful representation of South African music at its best. Not only that, the Children of Agape are such talented singers and I'm so glad a CD like this brings there music into more mainstream western society.

This is definately a MUST HAVE album!

Lessons To Be Learned
Lessons To Be Learned
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars [] Lessons To Be Learned, 30 May 2008
This review is from: Lessons To Be Learned (Audio CD)
Yet again, another songtress bringing back soul into their music and if im honest its not do as effectively on this album has it has on others (amy winehouse, duffy) but apart from this, i do like this album and i like the crossover effects of her songs and they work so well.

not my favourite album this year from this kind of artist but definately worth a mention as there is some good songs on the album.

stand out tracks =

Little Dreamer
Little Dreamer
Offered by The Music Warehouse

4.0 out of 5 stars [] Little Dreamer, 30 May 2008
This review is from: Little Dreamer (Audio CD)
So here we have another addition to the fast becoming, predominantly white uk soul music scene. After listening to this album I originally wasnt sure that it had the raw kick that I felt with Amy Winehouse and her voice wasnt as raunchy either but after a few more listens I began to feel the emotion she sings with and began to appreciate the soulfulness of her songs. As the amazon review states, she has played it safe with this album and I hope that any future albums she does will be more raw!

But don't get me wrong, this is a brilliant attempt for a debut album and I do like her music...

So Sublime
I Shall Be Released
Nobodys Fault But Mine
You Never Called Me Tonight

Hard Candy
Hard Candy
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

1.0 out of 5 stars [] Hard Candy, 8 May 2008
This review is from: Hard Candy (Audio CD)
When I originally heard that Madonna was collaborating with artists such as Justin Timberlake, Timbaland, Kanye West & Pharrell I was excited and couldn't wait to see what they'd come up with. Now I've heard the result I can confirm they've come up with a hideous record.
Hideous Beats
Hideous Lyrics
Hiedous Everything

The only thing that could save this album is the fantastic track that is '4 Minutes' and the good (but not brilliant) 'Miles Away' which both have Justin Timberlake credits on them.. everything else is hideous fake 'hip hop' filler.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 9, 2008 4:31 AM BST

Shine
Shine
Offered by positivenoise

5.0 out of 5 stars [] Shine, 5 April 2008
This review is from: Shine (Audio CD)
After recently listening to this album I can honestly say that this is only 1 out of 2 albums that I can listen to and absolutely love every song! (the other being Amy Winehouse - Back To Black)

Estelle had already made her mark in the UK with The 18th Day but Shine definately puts her out there for the rest of the world and she deserves all the success she is getting (#1 in the UK charts right now with American Boy)

Its a shame that she had to go to USA to get an album that she'd be recognised for world wide but she still keeps her LDN roots close to her and this is expressed with the various slang used in her songs so she hasnt totally sold us out *cough* joss stone *cough*.

All in all this is a classic album and even reminds me of a Lauryn Hill album (kind of a co-incidence seen as though Wyclef Jean produces some of the tracks on Shine) and I hope it takes Estelle far!

The Sound Of Bassline
The Sound Of Bassline
Offered by Mr Music

5.0 out of 5 stars [] The Sound Of Bassline, 29 Feb. 2008
This review is from: The Sound Of Bassline (Audio CD)
Well I've heard all these before in the clubs around Leeds (L DOUBLE EDS) so I can safely say this is the best collection of bassline songs..

Having been an underground scene for quite a while now I'm glad to see it becoming so popular although I do doubt it will be a continuous thing but its certainly a good thing whilst it happens.

If you love the recent bassline singles in the charts (T2 and H Two O) then this is definately the album for you to hear more of the good music that the scene is producing.

If your an old fan of bassline then this album is a great collection to have even though you probably heard the songs before.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6