Profile for Sicksam123 > Reviews

Sicksam123

Blue Microphones Snowball iCE USB Cardioid Microphone with Adjustable Mic Stand
Blue Microphones Snowball iCE USB Cardioid Microphone with Adjustable Mic Stand

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Professional, Pristine Podcasting, 8 Sep 2013
Step 1: Plug it into yo computer.
Step 2: Record an intellectual, family-friendly podcast.
Step 3: Enjoy lovely jubbly quality from this awesome product.
Step 4: Go to a restaurant for your birthday treat. It'll be great. (optional)

Game of Thrones - Season 1 [Blu-ray] [2012] [Region Free]
Game of Thrones - Season 1 [Blu-ray] [2012] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Sean Bean

5.0 out of 5 stars Great show, great set, 12 Sep 2012
Game of Thrones is one of my favourite shows. The cast, writing and music are all stunning- Sean Bean and Peter Dinklage are outstanding and there are also many new younger actors, all of whom are very talented. The show is so good it made me read the Song of Ice and Fire books (source material), and I rarely read at all (I highly recommend the books to anyone who enjoys the HBO series).

The set itself is worthy treatment for the show. Nice embossed cover with house sigils running amok on a border around Eddard Stark with a sombre black and grey theme.
It includes a map of Westeros to keep you oriented and a family tree to consolidate who each character is in relation to the others. Episode quality is sharp and the hi-def brings the beautiful landscapes to life. As a result of only having ten per season, the episodes are spread out across the discs pretty unevenly (some discs have 1, others 2 or 3) but this is no more than a bit odd and it doesn't bother me.

Special Features: Character features and some documentaries about adapting and making the series are satisfactory but the best feature for me in this box set were the commentaries. It was a nice surprise to find that so many episodes had them. There are very different variations too; writers, producers, actors alike though highlights have to be George R.R. Martin's and the one done by the kids of the show (they sing the theme tune). Episode six is accompanied by an 'Anatomy of an Episode' which is like a commentary but with visual stimuli (picture in picture style with storyboards, interviews etc).
There is also extensive archives of information about the fictional world- every episode has a guide which can be opened at any time for data on location and characters, and there are many Histories detailed with both text and 'Lore' videos which will make instant experts out of those who endeavour to explore every corner of the set.

Full marks, a great Blu Ray début for Game of Thrones. Let us hope Season Two's release is just as good.

Marvel's Avengers Assemble [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Marvel's Avengers Assemble [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Robert Downey Jr.
Offered by MediaMine

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice action, but weak script treated characters poorly, 1 Aug 2012
Before reading my review, note that I am not 'hating' or I would have given a lower score, but that I am merely expressing my views on the movie. Rather than venting anger in the comments, read some 5-star reviews- they'll cheer you up. Thanks for your understanding :)

I was surprised by this film as there was so much over-reaction involving what turned out to be a regular marvel movie other than one thing- it has even less plot. Characters are about as two-dimensional as shadows this time around, except Tony Stark- who is closer to cardboard cut-out and even had a tiny morsel of an arc. Loki was a far more interesting villain in Thor, here he is shown to be not only as shallow-written as the heroes but also rendered completely powerless again and again, resulting in absolutely no build up of suspense in the film. I would rather have one worthy villain than a million weak pawns on the battlefield.

The story is vaguely explained at the start of the film but it has no narrative depth and there were no literary techniques developed at all. Actors are well-picked but due to the script of one liners, the talent goes to waste. I can get why so many regular joes would give high scores to this average summer flick but I'll ever understand why the critics went nuts too (I can only theorise some money changed hands (I'm kidding!)).

As someone who enjoyed Captain America, The Incredible Hulk etc (not amazing films but still 8/10s), I was let down by this movie.

But to end the review on a nicer note, I'm a fair guy so I will say that the comedy was well-timed (even if there was way too much of it), action was well choreographed and special effects were grand in scale (but again, far too much of it).

6/10

But hey, this is what I took from the film. If you want an action film that requires no real attention this is a fun thing to watch and I recommend it. Thanks for reading.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 4, 2012 5:18 PM BST

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Extended Edition) [Blu-ray] [2011] [2001]
Dvd ~ Elijah Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much perfect :), 26 Feb 2012
Some people annoyed that each film is on two discs but I really don't mind. Guys, Blu Ray is made of advanced tech, not magic. The one thing that did disappoint me a little was that the special features were only DVD but on the other hand half of it is home-video style documentation so we're not missing out on much. I'm glad that they included the three rare footage compilation discs as they provided me with something I did not have before :)

The movie quality is superior! A few glitches but nothing to ruin the set.
The sound is also awesome, I suggest you listen through surround sound (the crow scene from Fellowship is particularly freaky and will make you feel like you left the window open).

The box is nice and I'm happy some effort went into the packaging but it isn't quite as good as the original DVD editions (but if you own them you can just switch the discs anyway).

10/10

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception: The Complete Official Guide - Collector's Edition
by Piggyback

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Uncharted 3 Collector's Guide, 25 Feb 2012
If you're only interested in content you may not want to shell out extra for the Collector's Edition, as the book seems to have even more than needed. But if you want nice presentation, the extra monies is well worth it, a great smooth cover gives it an amazing look and feel. 10/10

Rubies Costume Co. V for Vendetta Mask
Rubies Costume Co. V for Vendetta Mask
Offered by Tec Uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of V Mask, 25 Feb 2012
IMO looks better than the ones I saw at Forbidden Planet. Great for peaceful protests against SOPA, PIPA, ACTA and the like. 10/10 from me.