Profile for June Little > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Black Hours
The Black Hours

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, compulsive, chilling., 14 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Black Hours (Kindle Edition)
This was such a gripping read. I almost read it in one go.
Set in the 17th Century, this fascinating story of ordinary women finding themselves persecuted due to rumour, ignorance and superstition, had some chilling resonances with recent historical events.
Unusually, the tale was told from the perspective of both persecutor and victim. For me, this racked up the tension to an almost unbearable degree - so much so, that at one point, I was sorely tempted to flick to the end just to make sure that all would end well.(I didn't - and no, I'm not telling.)
Brilliantly told.
A really compulsive read.

Sea Cutter: Book I in The Chronicles of Nathaniel Childe
Sea Cutter: Book I in The Chronicles of Nathaniel Childe

5.0 out of 5 stars Treasure on the High Seas, 11 Jun 2014
I really wish I'd had access to this book when I was teaching. All those rainy Friday afternoons with restless Year 5 & 6 boys!
Sea Cutter is such a captivating coming-of-age adventure, with audience appeal for all ages. A rollicking, rip-roaring story, with lovely flowing style and not a word wasted.
I discovered Tim on Twitter - (he has such a wonderful way with few words!) - and am really looking forward to Red Stone.

Call Nurse Millie
Call Nurse Millie

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great read., 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: Call Nurse Millie (Kindle Edition)
This was such an enjoyable read.
I loved that post 1945, East End setting - its bombed streets and overcrowding beautifully sketched in.
Historical fact never once overwhelmed this super story - just coloured it in, brought it to life.
Great characters, love, loss and life in all its post-war colours.

Zenzoris Returns (The Sophie Radcliffe Series Book 1)
Zenzoris Returns (The Sophie Radcliffe Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Roller-coaster read!, 9 Jun 2014
I have to say I was drawn to this by the author's quirky and appealing tweets!
It's not my usual choice of genre, but I'm so glad to have discovered such a fun read - exciting, fast-paced with really great, well-crafted characters and a good twist.
Early pages made me stop to check that I hadn't missed an earlier book (I hadn't, there isn't one) but I was quickly hooked.
Sophie is a really great character. I'll be looking out for the next in her series of adventures.

Song for a Butterfly
Song for a Butterfly
by Margaret Kaine

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, great setting., 29 May 2014
This review is from: Song for a Butterfly (Paperback)
This is a beautifully told tale, set against the quite unique character of the Potteries in the 1950s.
Such an interesting time, and there's a great feeling of time and place here, as we follow a young paintress through a series of dramatic and life-changing events.
Margaret Kaine has that story-teller's gift of grabbing the reader's attention, and holding on, throughout all twists and turns in the plot.

Romaniac Shorts: Fashionably Brief
Romaniac Shorts: Fashionably Brief

4.0 out of 5 stars Pick and Mix, 25 Mar 2014
I really enjoyed the wide mix of mood and voice in this collection.
The variety of styles worked well, and made up an interesting selection of good reads.
Great to dip into.

Playing Grace
Playing Grace

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, intelligent, charming., 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: Playing Grace (Kindle Edition)
A really great read from a new author to me.
Hazel Osmond doesn't hide her intelligence, but writes with wit and great charm.
The large cast of quirky secondary characters were so well-developed, that any one of them could have taken centre stage, at any time.
Very different, very enjoyable. Am going back to read the others.

A Change of Heart (The Heartfelt Series Book 2)
A Change of Heart (The Heartfelt Series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Romantic Adventure, 12 Dec 2013
Following on from The Hollow Heart - but a perfect stand-alone read, too - this author's second book takes us back to Innishmahon, a setting so seductive that you want to cross the water immediately, to find it.
Here we meet well-drawn, appealing Irish characters from the first book, along with some interesting - and in some cases, challenging - American additions. A combination of drama, suspense and intrigue is skilfully played out,alongside the deepening relationship between charismatic film actor Ryan, and journalist Marianne.
I loved it - was completely captivated and drawn in. Hope there'll be another. Long may this fabulous romantic adventure series continue.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2013 9:58 AM GMT

Dangerous Decisions (Choc Lit)
Dangerous Decisions (Choc Lit)

5.0 out of 5 stars Master Story-Teller, 25 Nov 2013
Soon after starting Dangerous Decisions,I realised I was in the hands of a master story-teller, and could relax and enjoy the tale.
I trusted all historical details,totally believed in the characters and liked the clever way their stories were drawn together - upstairs,downstairs and in a lady-of-the-night's chamber. Loved it.

Boot Camp Bride
Boot Camp Bride

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous follow-on, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: Boot Camp Bride (Kindle Edition)
Lizzie Lamb's latest, is a perfect follow-up to her brilliant Tall, Dark and Kilted - with added suspense and mystery for good measure.
It's that perfect blend of excitement, romance and humour, that she seems to do so effortlessly, but so well.
The relationship between Charlee, a trainee intern, and the mysterious but irresistible Rafael Ffinch is cleverly paced, and the twists and turns of the plot keep you guessing and page-turning.
Loved the funny, quirky chapter headings, and Lizzie Lamb paints as beguiling a picture of the magical Norfolk marshes,as she did of the Scottish Highlands.

Page: 1 | 2