Profile for Matt182 > Reviews

Content by Matt182

Matt182 (Wales, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
EvoDigitals 4GB Red MP3 WMA Player (samsung memory) USB With FM Tuner, Voice Recorder + More
Offered by EvoDigitals
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it!, 4 Mar 2012
I bought this 4gb mp3 player because my one I had for 6 years with 256mb of memory doesn't hold enough songs anymore so I decided to get something with more space. Well 4gb will apparently hold 1000 songs which is definitely enough for me! I chose this one because it looks good and has fairly positive reviews and I can see why.

The mp3 player is fairly easy to use, looks good and I really like the soft feel of it. I had no problems using it but I did read up on the instructions which was well worth doing because this gadget has a lot of features and it can be a lot to take in at first if you want to explore them all. If you want to just use it as it comes then it's simple to use! You just push the mode button and the music appears.

The only issue I have is that the mode button is a flimsy lever which I am not a huge fan of as I'd prefer just a push button. You have to use this lever to skip tracks and select music. Also to put the battery in you have to take off the cap for the USB. These are minor flaws with what is a very good device!

I saw a review where a customer complained that it 'corrupted' the music files! Well it explains in the instructions that if you don't remove it safely then this is the risk you take but if you have any common sense and remove all USB devices safely then it's not a problem so don't let that put you off! Recommended!

Tiger Chromatic Guitar Tuner
Tiger Chromatic Guitar Tuner
Price: 5.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent tuner, 27 Feb 2012
My first tuner lasted a couple of years and was an excellent device but unfortunately broke so I decided to buy something similar to this one - an Eno clip on tuner. It was awful and I threw it out after about a month because I couldn't take it's inability to recognise the strings anymore! I took a risk with this one because I thought it was a similar style but had reliable reviews compared to other similar tuners.

It paid off because this is a very good quality tuner and one I would recommend. My guitar was far out of tune and this tuner did take a few minutes (a little longer than I'd like!) to recognise and tune all strings but as a tuner when strings are just out this is brilliant and takes less than a minute. It can tune a number of instruments, has a nice, clear, green display and the clip on has a soft rubber cushion (quality!) that my other one didn't have. The only issue I have with it is that there's no option to tune manually. You can't input the string you wish to tune; you have to wait for the tuner to recognise the string, which although takes longer, didn't seem too difficult for it.

The tuner is all well and good for guitar but since I got a bass I must warn against buying this tuner if you want to tune a bass. I highly recommend you buy another tuner if you want to tune a bass because although this tuner boasts that it supposedly tunes guitar, bass, ukulele and violin it doesn't! I tried to tune my bass guitar and what happened was it took around 10 minutes of plucking and fiddling to recognise the G string, then it finally recognised the D but it refused to recognise the other strings and then after around 20 minutes of perseverance I completely gave up because it refuses to recognise bass strings! Avoid for the bass!

It's got a 2 year warranty and it's a quality device for the price to pay!

Don't Forget Me Collectors Gold
Don't Forget Me Collectors Gold
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Never forget a rock n' roll legend!, 7 Feb 2012
As a big fan trying to collect everything the boy ever recorded I just had to buy this album because it had a few tracks that I didn't have. This 70th anniversary collection aptly titled Don't forget me is a great collection of his lesser popular songs and live recordings. Instead of presenting an album with his popular, well-known songs that you can get on many other `best of' albums this looks at the true talent of Eddie with a back catalogue that leads up to one of his very last live appearances in the UK before his tragic and untimely death. The album's booklet has some pretty informative notes by Stuart Coleman; telling Cochran's story and the album has a cardboard sleeve with some nice pictures of Eddie that I haven't seen before and also a bubblegum card (random!).

The album begins with Don't bye, bye baby me which features a train sound that I hadn't heard before on a previous version. Some of the more well-known tracks like Jelly Bean, Pink peg slacks and Skinny Jim are included. There are 4 instrumentals showcasing Eddie's guitar talent with Scratchin', Strollin' guitar, Guybo (named after Eddie's bass player), and Song of New Orleans (a happy sounding track and probably my favourite). There are some older tracks here from before Eddie went solo; Gambler's guitar is one of his first recordings which has Chuck Foreman (a friend Eddie new from school) on vocals with Eddie playing lead guitar. I'm ready is a similar affair this time with Hank Cochran on vocals and what follows is a few tracks from the duo the Cochran Brothers. Yesterday's heartbreak which I hadn't heard before sounds like a weaker version of My love to remember. Eddie showcases his low and moody vocals on the brilliant Dark lonely street. Mighty mean is the early version of the more polished Mean when I'm mad. Crusin' the drive-in is a ballad featuring some `doo wops' from a few backing vocalists. Nervious breakdown here is the early version with the trumpets. Amazing song but not my favourite version, but the trumpets do give it some flavour!

Track 20 onwards are the live recordings. Sittin' in the balcony and Twenty flight rock are from Herb Sheldon's studio party from 1957 broadcast by New York TV. One minute to one is very similar to Sittin' in the balcony but it's a really great ballad with some sweet lyrics. Listening to the last live recordings from ITV's Boy meets girls broadcast on 16th and 23rd of January 1960 was a very bittersweet experience for me. Yes these are great live versions of some well known hits as well as a very nice cover of Money Honey (with backing vocalists) and Milk cow blues (the last track), but these are some of his last live recordings which brought on a sort of melancholy and sadness to me. Track 24 and 28 are introductions by the show's presenter Marty Wilde which gives a more authentic feeling to experiencing these live songs. There is a hidden bonus track after 31 of Live fast, love hard, die young. You can tell how old this song is by the quality of the song but disregarding that this is a standout track! It's kind of a celebratory track but also brings us to a shocking reality that Eddie certainly practiced what he preached! He definitely did `leave a beautiful memory'!

After experiencing all the talent on this album it leaves me with such a sadness thinking about how this guy could have gone on to make so many more great songs. He had so much talent and even though it seems such a waste that he died at the age of 21, what he has left behind for us are some of the greatest rock n roll songs from the 50's. It's an album to cherish and one that I thoroughly enjoyed, even though I'd heard a lot of the songs before. Be warned though that this is not an album for a casual fan and not really one for those just starting out to explore his music. It really is collector's gold!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 10, 2013 2:33 PM GMT

Telegraph
Telegraph
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 5.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth sending out a telegraph for!, 31 Jan 2012
This review is from: Telegraph (Audio CD)
I first came across Drake Bell on the Drake and Josh show when I was about 14. When I discovered he had a couple of albums out I was definitely eager to check them out. I bought Telegraph first which was released on September 27th 2005 and then re-released on August 7th 2007. Drake didn't record this with a famous music label, it was recorded with co-writer Michael Corcoran in a newly built studio named The backhouse. Therefore it is released on Backhouse records, a minor label.

The album artwork is hardly high budget with Drake lying on a bed on the cover with bird wallpaper and the inner booklet has pictures of him in a Ford Mustang. Even though the making of the album seems to be cheap the music definitely doesn't reflect that! For Drake's second album It's only time; released on December 5th 2006 he was signed with the major label Universal Motown records. I think this is album is actually the more solid of the 2 although I've only given It's only time a couple of listens. It's a really good album, some songs are better than others and with some strong and weaker points. Drake is clearly an accomplished songwriter and what we have is a pretty solid album. The guy is talented - he sings, writes, and plays guitar and keyboards. He clearly had plenty of help from Michael Corcoran and a few other writers and musicians but I give him an E for effort!

The album starts off with an intro of 27 seconds with what sounds like coins being inserted into a machine and then some guitar noise. Found a way (the Drake and Josh theme tune) is the standout and strongest track on the album. It's got a great sound and a power to it that all of the other tracks either lack or just fall short of. Circles has guest beat boxing from Josh Peck. The song is about a party and Drake comes on with his usual swagga. Somehow is the deepest and darkest song on the album. It seems to be about a woman who went mad after being in a bad relationship and it implies she killed him! The chorus is pretty powerful. In the end sounds like a kind of break-up song. It's pretty good but not one of the best. Don't preach shows Drake's rougher vocals with Drake's revolutionary proclamation that `everybody's paid for'! Another pretty good one but not one of the best. Hollywood girl I like. The title kind of says it all and it's got little speeches (kind of a conversation with Drake) in the intro and outro from this girl that Drake's supposed to be singing about. Golden days is a pretty mediocre but upbeat track about Drake's idea that we're living in the `golden age'. Down we fall is more impressive with a strong chorus. It's a song about his redemption for a girl. The backhouse is just a 19 second track with a speech about how The backhouse is `the place to be'! Highway to nowhere is probably my favourite after Found a way. It's a clever song about his feelings of going around in circles back to someone who treats him wrong. It's catchy with a cracking chorus and a nice guitar solo at the bridge. Telegraph is the slowest, most mellowed down song on the record. The whole song is backed with just a piano. It's pretty good but not a highlight for me.

The album has a varied sound and some catchy and strong tunes. I would highly recommend you buy it!

Hopes and Fears
Hopes and Fears
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.82

5.0 out of 5 stars The 254th review for a brill album, 30 Jan 2012
This review is from: Hopes and Fears (Audio CD)
I bought this album a couple of years ago after being so hugely impressed by Under the iron sea. When this album originally came out I remember hearing the singles on the radio and at the time I was a huge fan of the pop/rock outfit Busted so this kind of deep, piano driven music sung by an ex choirboy was something I kind of resented. It's funny how as you get older your taste in music changes and mine certainly has because this album is amazing!

The album has themes of hopes, fears, loneliness and relationship issues and it's not a difficult album to relate to. There are great catchy tunes (the singles) and some really good songs that didn't have the single factor but have something greater about them. The artwork is simple but effective - a lot like the music. Piano hammers surround the bands name and album title.

The album kicks off with Somewhere only we know, a song about the yearning for a special place. Bend and break is my favourite non-single. It is amazingly upbeat with a fantastic chorus. We might as well be strangers is a song about a partner changing hugely and the loneliness that results. Very heartfelt. Everybody's changing is about the feeling of being left behind and another great single. Your eyes open is another favourite; upbeat with a great chorus. She has no time is a pretty depressing but heartfelt and meaningful song where the title says it all. It's slow, with solo piano and very little percussion. The band show they can do slow, melancholy songs too. Can't stop now is another great tune, which brings us back to an upbeat song. Sunshine is a much slower, simple and mellow song. This is the last time bring us to another great single; this time about the longing for something more. It really represents the band's all round talent. On a day like today, although slow and repetitive it has a great sound. Untitled 1 has another fairly long intro, but because it isn't catchy and a single the band have experimented with different sounds and it's another good song. Bedshaped is the standout single for me. It has that eerie, beautiful sound to it. It's got something different to it over the other singles. It's Keane at their best.

Keane give us amazing piano songs, amazing vocals by Tom and beautiful, deep music. It's an album that really speaks to you as a listener. Keane are a very talented band which is clearly evident throughout the album. I think Under the iron sea is a development on this original style and I do prefer it. This album though is a classic album with Keane's original piano sound, memorable songs, catchy, expressive singles and an album I have listened to over and over.

The Definitive Singles Collection: 1984-2004
The Definitive Singles Collection: 1984-2004
Price: 4.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing A-ha, 23 Jan 2012
After hearing A-ha on the radio and seeing the video for The sun always shines on TV I bought this album back in April 2008. It's the ultimate A-ha greatest hits album. They are now one of my favourite bands so it speaks for itself! I loved it from my first listen back when I was 18 and I still love this album.

A-ha weren't just one hit wonders they were amazing artists and made amazing songs and albums. There are deep, powerful songs on here like The sun always shines on TV, Hunting high and low, Manhattan skyline, The living daylights (the fantastic bond theme!), Stay on these roads, Crying in the rain, Summer moved on and Lifelines to name but a few. I enjoy every track and even though some of the songs are romantic synth pop with You are the one and Touchy, they are catchy and brilliant songs. The album takes us through the band's back catalogue of singles from 1984-2004. The only albums after this are Analogue and Foot of the mountain. There's also the Take on me video on the enhanced CD. What's not to like?!

One of the greatest bands with a collection of memorable, impressive songs. The fact the band lasted for over 25 years expresses just how talented they are. They aren't just producing pop songs off a computer they are talented musicians and amazing songwriters. I thoroughly enjoyed this album and will continue to because it's some of the best songs from the 80's and beyond! It's hard to express just how good it is!

We Started Nothing
We Started Nothing
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 2.91

4.0 out of 5 stars A girl and a drummer!, 23 Jan 2012
This review is from: We Started Nothing (Audio CD)
When I first heard the Tings tings it was way back in April 2008 when I saw the video for That's not my name. It was a song which I know a lot of people found annoying and I thought I should probably dislike it but I couldn't because it was so catchy and great sounding! After buying that single and then hearing the following singles I thought they were a pretty cool band. Nothing like my usual taste in music which is pretty deep stuff but the songs are fun and even exciting to listen to and that`s what`s so attractive about them. I don`t think the duo take themselves too seriously and I think that is what shines throughout the album.

The Christmas of that year I asked for this as a present and enjoyed it from my 1st listen. Great DJ, That's not my name and Shut up and let me go are catchy singles but Be the one has got a deeper meaning to it and is one of the best. Instead of the more joyous vibe it depicts a relationship where one is doing all the work and the other just doesn't care. Their last single We walk is another favourite of mine. Fruit machine has vague lyrics and a catchy sound, Traffic light is a lot slower but sounds good, Keep your head is another favourite (I love how Katie says `four'een, intimidated and she's just four'een!'). The music is awesome! Impacilla caprisung is an instrumental with double-dutch lyrics and We started nothing, which is the longest song on the record is the least catchy but a clever tune.

Like another reviewer said it's `unpretentious catchy pop' and that's what appeals to me. It's fun, no-strings-attached music that you can enjoy any time. It's a record that makes me feel good just because the songs are easy to listen to and aren't trying to tell you about problems or their view of life. It's not normal pop music, it's got that indie edge which helps it appeal to the masses and I for one am a fan!

Acoustic Hearts of Winter
Acoustic Hearts of Winter

5.0 out of 5 stars Like angels at Christmas time!, 23 Jan 2012
This is a fantastic Christmas album! It's an album of 11 Christmas songs, 2 originals and 9 traditional songs. The 2 originals are Greatest time of year which is a happy, rejoicing song about the Christmas period and Not this year which is the complete opposite. It was inspired by how they felt one year after their gran died and the lyrics are touching and melancholic. The girls voices sound angelic on the covers of the traditional songs and the instrumentalism is fantastic from the guitarists and musicians. It's sort of cheating calling it `acoustic' because 3 of the songs are not. The 2 originals and Little drummer boy are very pop-rock sounding songs with electric guitar. I do like how different the latter sounds to the traditional, somewhat boring version. The girls have put their own touch to these songs and did very well.

The album starts and ends with the original songs which although is a good idea because it puts the girls' stamp on the album, after hearing the melancholic Not this year it makes you want to go back and listen to track 1 again! However the album fits together very nicely and it's a perfect accompaniment to the holiday season. My favourite covers are We three kings, The first noel, I'll be home for Christmas and Deck the halls (which is an awesome take on the song!). There are some very nice liner notes from the girls explaining the 2 original songs and their thoughts and feelings about the festive season. It's a very enjoyable listen and I would highly recommend!

blink-182
blink-182
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Blinking incredible!!, 22 Jan 2012
This review is from: blink-182 (Audio CD)
One of my favourite albums of all time! I bought it after hearing Feeling this and I miss you back in 2004 when I was 14! I loved it from my first listen and it was like nothing I'd ever heard before. The atmosphere and feel of the album is incredible. It still appears to me that way and I still absolutely love this album now.

Blink 182 really grew up with this album incorporating a much more mature sound and leaving the toilet humour and the dirty jokes behind them (at least on the record). What we have are not just punk rock songs their truly deep, meaningful songs with genuine lyrics and a truly amazing sound! The band left this album untitled and that was an indication that this was a whole new Blink 182 with a brand new and improved attitude and a new sound.

The first single Feeling this is about as close to the old sound as it gets I think. It has that pop-punk feel but it's a romantic song with some fantastic harmonies between Tom and Mark. I think the intro is one of those sounds which tells you it's unmistakably this song. Obvious takes the romanticism down a notch with serious lyrics and an edgy sound. I think Tom really shows his guitar talent in the bridge. I miss you is a ballad as such with jazz brushes and great lyrics. Violence is one of my favourite with almost musically silent verses (accept for the percussion) and a powerful, honest chorus. It's a powerful, relatable song. Stockholm syndrome has an intro at the end of Violence leading up to this amazing song. The intro read by Joanne Whalley is a letter from Mark's grandfather to his gran during World war II. The honest words really set this song up to be an epic. It's got amazing heavy drumming from Travis and an amazing sound to it, once again with honest, genuine lyrics. Down is about a boy in despair and it's kind of a love song. The fallen interlude kind of leads on from Down and is a very nice instrumental piece. Go as Tom puts it 'Deserves to be played loud'! It's a rock, angst driven piece with lyrics of despair from Mark. I didn't realise it back then but it seems like it's about domestic abuse. Asthenia is another favourite with actual NASA space transmissions in the intro setting up this truly epic song. It's about the loss of hope in space with truly genuine lyrics and an amazing sound from all band members. Easy target is a song about being tricked and being led by a girl. It's a punk rock anthem and has a kickass sound! Always is one of my favourite Blink songs with an 80's sound and feel to it. Like Travis said 'I think anyone can relate to this song'. All of this is a masterpiece with a guest appearance by Robert Smith from the cure. It's one of the best. Here's your letter is a Mark penned song about people's inability to communicate and it's got some powerful lyrics. I'm lost without you is a masterpiece and one of my favourites. It's the longest song and it shows the talent and how well these guys worked together bringing in different elements to create an epic sound. The drum solo at the end is jaw-dropping! Not now is another favourite and Blink's last released great song. It's got electronic sounds (but isn't overdone like the new stuff!) and once again honest, meaningful lyrics. The 2nd bonus track is a live version of Anthem part two (with an amazing introduction from Tom!). The enhanced section features 4 videos recorded by the band for Feeling this, Obvious, Down/The fallen interlude and Violence.

This album was massively influential while I was growing up and continues to be inspiring for me. This was when the band were at their peak and it would have been amazing to see what they could've created had they stayed together. The band hit their climax with this album and after breaking up I don't think they will ever create anything this good. Instead of meaningful lyrics the new album is self-indulgent and pretty boring to listen to. It's lost all the energy that this album has. The musicianship is astounding and really impressive throughout whereas a lot of the new album is drowned in computer sounds. It's also the last Blink album where you'll hear Tom's voice sounding amazing (with that slight roughness to it) instead of the slurred, gargled mess it's become. The guys sound fits together like a leather glove with a silk lining on this album. As the last great Blink album it's a piece of history and I can't recommend it enough!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 1, 2013 2:56 PM BST

The Young and the Hopeless
The Young and the Hopeless
Offered by gowingsstoreltd
Price: 3.97

5.0 out of 5 stars A punk rock powerhouse, 19 Jan 2012
This is one of my all time favourite albums ever! I grew up with this album and bought it in the summer of `03 when I was 13. Good Charlotte have made some pretty awesome music since but nothing as great as this album. It's a modern punk rock classic! I loved it back then and I love it now! It was a massive influence in my school years and continues to be so.

The album's artwork of 3 kids and a man sitting in front of a tv watching an atomic explosion is one of the best covers I have ever seen. You can tell the band grew up on punk rock with references to Minor threat and social distortion. This album is clean cut, awesome punk rock with a catchy feel to it. The album is a step-up from the self-titled debut and brings in a more mature punk sound with some awesome lyrics.

The album starts off with the instrumental A new beginning which has an epic atmosphere to set you up. Then there are modern punk rock classics like The anthem, Lifestyles of the rich and the famous, The story of my old man, riot girl and The young and the hopeless. Then there's what appears to be a love song Wondering but Benji apparently swears it's about his dog! There's songs for being fun Girls and boys, My bloody valentine (the loudest song, which appears to me as if it's either about a boy who's lost a girl and wants her back or a boy who is in love with this girl he can't get so he kills her boyfriend so he can have her for himself!), The day that I die (one of if not my favourite), ballads with Hold on (a hugely influential song about refraining from suicide in the darkest of times), Say anything, and Emotionless; which is a song about the hard times the boys endured after their father walked out on them. Then the final song Movin' on is an amazing anthem about life and inspiring lyrics about living how you want to.

The enhanced section of the CD is a mini autobiography of the band showing some of the making of the record, early shows and the band's opinions on their sound and each other. Pretty cool!

I think it's an album pretty much anyone can relate to. You don't need to be a teenage rebel to enjoy it (although it might help!). Although with a lot of pop punk bands back then and now who had a similar sound GC had something different to offer; meaningful lyrics, an inspirational sound and genuine band members. That's why I keep going back to it. I love it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20