Profile for Kevin > Reviews

Content by Kevin

Kevin

Corsair CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 High Performance 120mm Radiator All-In-One Liquid CPU Cooler
Offered by ShopCuscus

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent beginners water cooler, 20 Feb 2013
I must admit, this is the very first water cooler I have ever bought. Up until now, thinking about getting the right type of water blocks, the right sized tubing, radiators and all that seemed too much of a risk for my expensive custom built rig (mostly along the lines of water leakage). Then I saw on YouTube about an American show which talked about pre built sealed water cooling units. So some research brough up this.

I was sceptical about the other reviews about this regarding the noise it made but I was a lucky one because mine makes no noise (I can't hear it over the case fan cooling my hard drives). Before I bought fan coolers and replaced the thermal paste with MX-4 but hear, I decided to just use what I got given.

The pro's: this arrived very quickly and includes fittings for Intel and AMD CPUs. I use AMD so when I started fitting it, to me it was a doddle. From opening my case, removing the fan cooler, cleaning the paste from the CPU, fitting the water cooler and replacing the cover took me about 90 minutes. The case fan for my hard drives is quiet, but its still louder than the radiator fan of the water cooler. I have an AMD Phenom II X4 AM3 3.6GHz CPU and playing demanding games like Crysis 2, GTA 4, Arkham City never pushes the tempurature over 45°C. Granted the weather is cold at the time of this review so yet to test it in hotter climes. The CPU is already more than a match for today's games but with this cooler I overclocked the CPU to 4GHz. Not a great speed increase I know but I don't want to burn out anything too quickly too soon. But this still only increased the average tempurature by half a degree. For a complete, pre built and sealed water cooling unit at this price? This is excellent.

The cons: it ships with a 120mm fan with same size radiator to boot. My case only had space for an 80mm fan. Boo! My first attempt to fashion a way to secure it failed miserably. It fell off which caused the air to mix with the air flow from the PSU so for a short time the CPU temperatures was HIGHER than the fan cooler. My next attemp was a lucky find. I took off the side panel and rested the radiator on the outside. It's pretty secure there now and helps to keep the CPU pretty chilled out now. This is okay for my standards because my two Nvidia GTX550 TI's still have their fans attached and they still kick up a lot of heat so keeping the side off helps cool them. When I'm brave enough I'll go for a true water cooling solution for both the CPU and graphics cards.

This cooler would have gotten 5 stars if there was an 80mm fan option. However for what you get in this is rock solid and will future proof your rig for a few years when you delve into overclocking your system as well.

ARTIC Cooling Freezer Xtreme Rev.2 CPU Cooler
ARTIC Cooling Freezer Xtreme Rev.2 CPU Cooler
Offered by NORDPC

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good inexpensive cooler, 12 Feb 2012
While I have a lot of experience in building PC's, this was the first time I dealt with coolers and thermal paste as usually the stock coolers that come pre-supplied with some CPUs are satisfactory. But when I saw my CPU, AMD Phemon X4 2.2GHz Quad Core, started to reach 70+ degrees Celsius, I thought it's about time to upgrade the cooler.

First impressions are it's a very big item, though despite all that metal, it's also very light-weight. It will not cause any problems to full sized tower cases or strain on the motherboard, but beware: due to it's size it will only fit inside full sized ATX cases. If you only have a mini-ATX case, this cooler will not fit inside. It comes pre-supplied with it's own thermal paste, but I decided to remove that and use my own. I also cannibalized the stock CPU fan and turned it in to a case fan to help with the air flow. When I first booted up the PC, the CPU temp was at it's lowest it's ever been at only 6 degrees Celsius, and settling down about 5 minutes later around 15 degrees. Very good.

Next I played some demanding games, S.T.A.L.K.E.R Clear Sky, and GTA 4. Both these games pushed my CPU's temperature up to the 60's and 70's with the old stock fan, but using this cooler the highest the temperature the CPU got to was only 29 degrees and this was a good hours worth of playing on each game and with all the graphics settings maxed out at a screen size of 1,920 x 1,080 pixels. The log on the freeware program CoreTemp proved this.

It took a bit of effort getting the cooler fitted and the fan cable connected. If the holding brackets point up and down parallel to the memory banks then you most probably will need to remove the PSU to fit this, but I had no problems on my motherboard as the holding brackets pointed to the memory banks and rear I/O connectors.

The cooler comes with holding brackets for both AMD and Intel based motherboards, while I've never used Intel as a gaming platform I will not be able to review the Intel fittings, but the AMD fittings are quick and easy to fit. You just need a Philips screwdriver.

A highly efficient, quiet but not silent, inexpensive cooler most certainly deserving of it's price. It'll keep your CPU nearly just as cold as the current British weather (as of February 12, 2012). If you intend to replace your cooler anytime soon, certainly consider buying this.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2013 11:06 AM GMT