Profile for Partisan > Reviews

Content by Partisan

Partisan (West Yorkshire United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
FitFlop Lulu Canvas Womens Casual Sandals Mink 7.0
FitFlop Lulu Canvas Womens Casual Sandals Mink 7.0

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best!, 29 Jun 2014
The usual comfort and high standard of FitFlops and bought to replace my last pair which I had worn so much that they were looking a bit shabby! Highly recommend them for walking in as they look and feel stylish.

water butt stand made in uk)
water butt stand made in uk)
Offered by Keto Plastics Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value for money, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: water butt stand made in uk)
Very sturdy and looks like it will last for years. Well packaged and arrived on time. Very pleased with my purchase and would highly recommend this water butt stand.

Not Fade Away: The Life and Music of Buddy Holly
Not Fade Away: The Life and Music of Buddy Holly
by John Gribbin

3.0 out of 5 stars Incorrect Product Description. Nothing new, 7 Jun 2014
I already have several Buddy Holly biographies but decided to add this one because it promised to concentrate on the music, rather than re-hash the familiar biographical details PLUS, it said in the Product Description, "Not Fade Away" also includes - uniquely - a full and detailed account of every Holly recording session, which any Buddy fan will devour." - any Buddy Holly fan would devour that detailed account but it is not in this book!! Really disappointed.
Otherwise it's a so-so biography that doesn't add a lot to what's already out there.

I Could Have Loved You so Well
I Could Have Loved You so Well

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 29 May 2014
Ray Peterson is probably best known for "Tell Laura I Love Here" - so much better than the yucky British copy - but this ballad is outstanding and shows off his voice, tender but powerful, perfectly. The song itself is a Running Scared-type that builds to a climax - He's not Roy Orbison but this is still truly excellent.

69 for 1
69 for 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Gentle humour, 29 May 2014
This review is from: 69 for 1 (Kindle Edition)
Some fairly innocuous essays that are mildly amusing - certainly not laugh-out-loud. A nice easy read to fall back on between reading other things.

Monopoly Junior   Board Game
Monopoly Junior Board Game
Offered by Mytoyfactory

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game for beginners to Monopoly!, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Monopoly Junior (Toy)
Our 6 year old granddaughter soon picked up the game and thoroughly enjoyed playing it with us. She was not too disappointed when she did not win. Have only tried the simple game but she will soon be ready for the more advanced version!

Margaret Rutherford: Dreadnought With Good Manners
Margaret Rutherford: Dreadnought With Good Manners

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, 30 April 2014
I only know of Margaret Rutherford's work through her films (and that is only the films shown on TV so only a small part of her output) but I love watching her and thought this book would give me more information about her as an actress and as a woman and, as far as it goes, the book does succeed.
Her background and troubled family history are very interesting as are the descriptions of her life outside her roles - her regular swims in the Hampstead Ponds in all weathers, for example - but a large part of the book is, obviously, devoted to her acting, film and radio roles and the detailed descriptions of film and play plots do feel a little like padding, although I suppose they're useful in understanding her interpretation. She obviously felt most at home in the theatre and it is sad that those performances are all gone - seen only by the lucky few who were there.
I finished the book knowing her a little better but feeling that there was more - at the start of her career she is described as thin (indeed, she needed to wear a "fat suit" for one role) so, when did she become the portly figure we all now recognise? Overall, though the impression I came away with is that what you see in the films is, pretty much, her.
On a structural point, I was surprised when, in the book (I read it on a Kindle) her death came at 77% - I wondered what was going to fill the remaining pages. It's a list of performance and then an index that takes up 20% of the book!

Spirits Revived (Daisy Gumm Majesty)
Spirits Revived (Daisy Gumm Majesty)

3.0 out of 5 stars Running out of steam., 16 April 2014
I've read each of the Daisy Gumm Majesty mysteries with real pleasure, always looking forward to the next update. I must say, however, that this latest instalment seems to have run out of steam - there is a lot of what feels like padding, possibly because I've read all the earlier books, with the repetitious description of clothes and food and the back story hiding a fairly thin mystery that seems to solve itself. The romance is getting a little tedious as well.
Hope the series can get back on track.

The Book Thief
The Book Thief

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as involving as it should have been, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Book Thief (Kindle Edition)
This is a good book with a moving story at the heart - albeit an unremittingly bleak story. My main concern is the central "conceit" of the book that the narrator is Death. This seems to have the effect of putting everything at one remove from the reader and lessens the impact quite considerably. (I must confess being unable to shake the image of Discworld's DEATH from my head)
The author's habit of "announcing" things before they happen is another "look at me, aren't I stylish?" habit that diminishes the impact of the story.
Despite my reservations, a good and thought-provoking read that brings home the impact of Nazism on ordinary people in Germany and of the Allied bombing strategy.

The Soul of Man under Socialism
The Soul of Man under Socialism

2.0 out of 5 stars Utopian socialism, 28 Mar 2014
Interesting to read with our knowledge of the reality of "socialism", although the Socialism that Wilde talks about is not something that ever has been or ever will be a reality - truly utopian.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11