Profile for Mr. R. E. Smith > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. E. Smith

Mr. R. E. Smith "RobWolf666" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Rise of the Blood Legion - Greatest Hits (Chapter 1)
Rise of the Blood Legion - Greatest Hits (Chapter 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm...., 5 May 2015
As much as I love In This Moment (and I highly recommend them to anyone who likes their Metal loud and screamy), I've never liked it when bands put out compilation, or "Greatest Hits", albums - it just smells of an easy way for a band, or more likely label, to milk fans of more money. So...

***** for In This Moment
* for the fact it's a "collection" album.

Y'know... buy it if you're curious about the band - if ur a fan and already have the songs, just make a playlist ffs.

Football Director (PC CD)
Football Director (PC CD)

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the hype, 1 May 2015
This review is from: Football Director (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
I would've given this a 3 as it's an easy game to learn, compared to some other football management games, however I'm giving it a 1 because they blatantly lie about its features - both in the description and on the box it says there's an "Edit Mode" to change player and club info, however this does NOT exist, and they've (the ppl who made it) ignored all my emails regarding it.

Edit: OK, after many emails the ppl who made it they finally forwarded a game update that enabled "Edit Mode", and while appreciated, it is sadly flawed. For example, you can only edit names before the starting a new game, you can't during an active, saved game. Plus your changed name/s don't display during match commentary, the original name/s do. Still, it's better than nothing.

Blueblack Hussar In Marrying T
Blueblack Hussar In Marrying T
Offered by Sent2u

2.0 out of 5 stars Adam Is Quite Pants... This Time., 9 Feb. 2015
I've been an Adam And The Ants/Adam Ant fan since 1980, and stayed a fan through the good times and bad... his songs were always hit or miss with me, thankfully mostly hits... Even this new album has it's moments - sadly though, the vocals and harmonies are so godawful at times it makes you wonder if it's deliberate, it's like it's so bad it's can't be an accident, I was actually forced to skip songs 'cause I couldn't take the torture any more. It's a pity really, I was very excited when I heard he was making a new album.... I'm writing this early 2015, so I hope the new album coming out this year will be better, but I'll be listening before I buy next time.

Dark Souls II (Xbox 360)
Dark Souls II (Xbox 360)
Offered by Base

1.0 out of 5 stars annoying as the first one, 13 May 2014
If I were to base this on things like graphics I'd give it 4 stars... However, it's getting a 1 because, like the first, it's ridiculously hard to play with almost every battle stupidly mismatched. The worst thing though is the camp fire checkpoint system that has you replay everything you've done should you die between two points.... enemies respawn and you lose anything you collected along the way - this game would've been better with a free save system. As a result it just makes for a worse experience. My advice, only buy this if you have the patience of a saints, or you'll just angrier and angrier with it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2014 4:34 PM BST

Fringe: The Complete Series [DVD] [2013]
Fringe: The Complete Series [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Anna Torv

3.0 out of 5 stars Could've been better, 27 Mar. 2014
I pretty much have the same opinion about Fringe as I do about every other series Abrams has been involved with, which is, while the basic idea can be fascinating it rapidly descends in to the ridiculous. You see this not only with Fringe, but also, most notably, with Alias and Lost. The first two seasons are very interesting, but when the third season comes along it starts getting bizarre, and by the end it's become absurd. It's a pity really because all three had the potential to be amazing shows.

Of course, that said, if you like weird and absurd, you'll probably like them.

Dead Rising 3 (Xbox One)
Dead Rising 3 (Xbox One)
Offered by EVERGAME

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the hype, 15 Jan. 2014
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
While I'm a fan of "zombie" games, early RE for example, I've never been a fan of "zombie horde" games - and sadly DR3 pretty much keeps that opinion alive. The fact the horde is so large makes the game virtually unplayable at times, it feels so chaotic that while the game, apparently, has a story, you never feel like you're part of it because all you're doing is hacking your way through zombies, which gets boring real fast.

That's not the only problem though - character movement isn't very good either, for example if you try to stop, the character carries on for a few steps... it just doesn't do what you want it to.

Anyway, I just hope DR3 isn't an example of what's to come on XBone, 'cause they can definitely do better.

Premier Manager 2012 (PC CD)
Premier Manager 2012 (PC CD)
Offered by Pearls Books

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 27 Sept. 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
My advice is simple --- Don't buy this for a laptop running Windows 8, it doesn't work... crashes when going to the "Tactics" and/or "Match Day" sections.

Doesn't work on an older computer running XP either... won't even start on that one.

London 2012 - The Official Video Game of the Olympic Games (Xbox 360)
London 2012 - The Official Video Game of the Olympic Games (Xbox 360)
Offered by gamesgadget007

3.0 out of 5 stars As usual, could have been better, 3 Aug. 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Once again, sports fans are subjected to a pretty average sports game - I'd have thought, being the Olympics game, they'd make more of an effort to make something good, but I guess it's too much to ask.

The first thing you notice is that some of the more popular sports aren't even included, such as: football, tennis, hockey, badminton and basketball - neither is "normal" volleyball, even though beach volleyball is in there, figure that one out.

The second thing you notice is that women's events are short-changed... There are 31 men's events, and just 16 women's... same old story it seems.

Moving on - game play is relatively "easy" compared to most of these types of sports games, at least with some sports - there's not so much "frantic" button punching as there is "controlled" button punching, kind of hard to explain, but if you buy it you'll see what I mean. That said, events like beach volleyball where you play with an AI team-mate are problematic `because it seems there's very little "I" in the AI.

Graphics are actually very good for a game of this sort, which was a nice surprise - but, sadly, a game is more than its graphics. Oh, and while is says you can customise the athletes, don't take that to mean you can create athletes or make significant changes, because it's all pretty superficial with the appearance... although you can change the name - just make sure it's character 1 you change if you're playing single player.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2012 9:46 AM BST

Summer Stars (Xbox 360)
Summer Stars (Xbox 360)
Offered by FUN-N-MORE

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better..., 27 Jun. 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
*sigh* I went in to this game with high hopes after playing the demo on Xbox 360, sadly though, like every other game out there it promises a lot more than it delivers.

Chances are, if you already like this kind of game, then you'll like it... if, like me, you're not generally a 'fan' of chaotic buttong punching and L/R-stick twiddling, then you're probably going to get frustrated very quickly like I did. The only sport that I really liked was the archery, because you actually had to think and aim to get anywhere... the rest were the annoying kind of press this button here, twiddle your L/R sticks it opposing directions, in other words, annoying, repetitive and boring. The fencing sport is a joke, and no, I'm not joking.
Edit: I take back what I said anout the fencing sport - I'd been basing it on a "special" event rather than a competition event, it's actually ok.

The "career" mode is also extremely disappointing, as you really have very little control over it. You can't, for example, choose your gender or have any kind of control like that, you are just given a team of two people and tough if you don't want them. You can't choose which sport to make a career in either, you HAVE to do EVERY sport... in the real world how many archers do you know who are also swimmers or divers?

I don't know, maybe some of the 'sports' are easier on Kinect like they hint at, but on a controller, it's the same old tedious average sports game that's always released. My advice, stick to your tennis and golf games.

Slayer String Tribute
Slayer String Tribute

1.0 out of 5 stars The very depths of hell...., 1 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Slayer String Tribute (Audio CD)
I'm pretty open minded about music, and I'll give anything a fair listen, and as a result I very rarely feel motivated to say something bad about a band or CD - however, in the case of this Slayer string tribute one of those rare moments have arrived. I could tell from the very first notes that this was going to bad, I just never imagined HOW bad it would be. Either Slayer doesn't convert very well to string, or this album just sucks to the extreme. This album claims to be a 'string' tribute, yet anyone who's actually heard strings will realise immediately that they ain't REAL strings, it sounds more like some rubbish synth interpretation of strings, like my Yamaha electric keyboard, or like it's been done on computer and passed off as a 'string tribute'. If you don't want your ears to bleed, avoid this CD. Wish I could get my money back to be honest...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3