Profile for Mr. R. E. Smith > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. E. Smith

Mr. R. E. Smith "RobWolf666" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Dark Souls II (Xbox 360)
Dark Souls II (Xbox 360)

1.0 out of 5 stars annoying as the first one, 13 May 2014
If I were to base this on things like graphics I'd give it 4 stars... However, it's getting a 1 because, like the first, it's ridiculously hard to play with almost every battle stupidly mismatched. The worst thing though is the camp fire checkpoint system that has you replay everything you've done should you die between two points.... enemies respawn and you lose anything you collected along the way - this game would've been better with a free save system. As a result it just makes for a worse experience. My advice, only buy this if you have the patience of a saints, or you'll just angrier and angrier with it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2014 4:34 PM BST

Fringe: The Complete Series [DVD] [2013]
Fringe: The Complete Series [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Anna Torv

3.0 out of 5 stars Could've been better, 27 Mar 2014
I pretty much have the same opinion about Fringe as I do about every other series Abrams has been involved with, which is, while the basic idea can be fascinating it rapidly descends in to the ridiculous. You see this not only with Fringe, but also, most notably, with Alias and Lost. The first two seasons are very interesting, but when the third season comes along it starts getting bizarre, and by the end it's become absurd. It's a pity really because all three had the potential to be amazing shows.

Of course, that said, if you like weird and absurd, you'll probably like them.

Dead Rising 3 (Xbox One)
Dead Rising 3 (Xbox One)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the hype, 15 Jan 2014
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
While I'm a fan of "zombie" games, early RE for example, I've never been a fan of "zombie horde" games - and sadly DR3 pretty much keeps that opinion alive. The fact the horde is so large makes the game virtually unplayable at times, it feels so chaotic that while the game, apparently, has a story, you never feel like you're part of it because all you're doing is hacking your way through zombies, which gets boring real fast.

That's not the only problem though - character movement isn't very good either, for example if you try to stop, the character carries on for a few steps... it just doesn't do what you want it to.

Anyway, I just hope DR3 isn't an example of what's to come on XBone, 'cause they can definitely do better.

Premier Manager 2012 (PC CD)
Premier Manager 2012 (PC CD)
Offered by M H TECHNOLOGIES

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 27 Sep 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
My advice is simple --- Don't buy this for a laptop running Windows 8, it doesn't work... crashes when going to the "Tactics" and/or "Match Day" sections.

Doesn't work on an older computer running XP either... won't even start on that one.

London 2012 - The Official Video Game of the Olympic Games (Xbox 360)
London 2012 - The Official Video Game of the Olympic Games (Xbox 360)
Offered by JosephGaming

3.0 out of 5 stars As usual, could have been better, 3 Aug 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Once again, sports fans are subjected to a pretty average sports game - I'd have thought, being the Olympics game, they'd make more of an effort to make something good, but I guess it's too much to ask.

The first thing you notice is that some of the more popular sports aren't even included, such as: football, tennis, hockey, badminton and basketball - neither is "normal" volleyball, even though beach volleyball is in there, figure that one out.

The second thing you notice is that women's events are short-changed... There are 31 men's events, and just 16 women's... same old story it seems.

Moving on - game play is relatively "easy" compared to most of these types of sports games, at least with some sports - there's not so much "frantic" button punching as there is "controlled" button punching, kind of hard to explain, but if you buy it you'll see what I mean. That said, events like beach volleyball where you play with an AI team-mate are problematic `because it seems there's very little "I" in the AI.

Graphics are actually very good for a game of this sort, which was a nice surprise - but, sadly, a game is more than its graphics. Oh, and while is says you can customise the athletes, don't take that to mean you can create athletes or make significant changes, because it's all pretty superficial with the appearance... although you can change the name - just make sure it's character 1 you change if you're playing single player.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2012 9:46 AM BST

Summer Stars (Xbox 360)
Summer Stars (Xbox 360)
Offered by SelectGames

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better..., 27 Jun 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
*sigh* I went in to this game with high hopes after playing the demo on Xbox 360, sadly though, like every other game out there it promises a lot more than it delivers.

Chances are, if you already like this kind of game, then you'll like it... if, like me, you're not generally a 'fan' of chaotic buttong punching and L/R-stick twiddling, then you're probably going to get frustrated very quickly like I did. The only sport that I really liked was the archery, because you actually had to think and aim to get anywhere... the rest were the annoying kind of press this button here, twiddle your L/R sticks it opposing directions, in other words, annoying, repetitive and boring. The fencing sport is a joke, and no, I'm not joking.
Edit: I take back what I said anout the fencing sport - I'd been basing it on a "special" event rather than a competition event, it's actually ok.

The "career" mode is also extremely disappointing, as you really have very little control over it. You can't, for example, choose your gender or have any kind of control like that, you are just given a team of two people and tough if you don't want them. You can't choose which sport to make a career in either, you HAVE to do EVERY sport... in the real world how many archers do you know who are also swimmers or divers?

I don't know, maybe some of the 'sports' are easier on Kinect like they hint at, but on a controller, it's the same old tedious average sports game that's always released. My advice, stick to your tennis and golf games.

Slayer String Tribute
Slayer String Tribute

1.0 out of 5 stars The very depths of hell...., 1 Jun 2010
This review is from: Slayer String Tribute (Audio CD)
I'm pretty open minded about music, and I'll give anything a fair listen, and as a result I very rarely feel motivated to say something bad about a band or CD - however, in the case of this Slayer string tribute one of those rare moments have arrived. I could tell from the very first notes that this was going to bad, I just never imagined HOW bad it would be. Either Slayer doesn't convert very well to string, or this album just sucks to the extreme. This album claims to be a 'string' tribute, yet anyone who's actually heard strings will realise immediately that they ain't REAL strings, it sounds more like some rubbish synth interpretation of strings, like my Yamaha electric keyboard, or like it's been done on computer and passed off as a 'string tribute'. If you don't want your ears to bleed, avoid this CD. Wish I could get my money back to be honest...

Home Movie [DVD]
Home Movie [DVD]
Dvd ~ Adrian Pasdar

3.0 out of 5 stars Home Movie, 28 Jan 2010
This review is from: Home Movie [DVD] (DVD)
To be fair, this is advertised as being the best documentory style film ever made, but I'd personally disagree with that, but that's me. It's also advertised as being a horror, but I didn't find it remotely scary, there were times when I'd sit forward a bit anticipating something bad was going to happen, only for what does happen to be anti-climatic. For a film that was supposed to be scary I actually found myself to be a bit amused by what was happening more than anything else, so i don't know, a black comedy maybe? Don't get me wrong here, it is an enjoyable watch, and the acting is good - although considering it's supposed to be about the kids, they don't actually DO much until towards the end of the film, they certainly don't say anything anyway, and you don't SEE the acts of cruelty etc.

If what the kid actors say in the 'making of' section is true, it sounds like there'll be a sequel, so I'd still buy that, just to see what happens. As for this film, if you buy it, go in to it with an open mind, 'cause I can almost guarantee it'll not be quite what you expected.

St Trinian's
St Trinian's
by Pippa Le Quesne

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not great either, 18 Jan 2010
This review is from: St Trinian's (Paperback)
I have to say this book starts out OK, but towards the ends it seems like the author loses interest and pretty much skips over the last section in the film, and it ends differetly to the film version as well. It's a pity this hasn't been novelised properly, as I think if it had been fleshed out in to a proper novel it would have been a good book to read. OK, so it is basicly a kids book, but I seriously doubt even a kid will find this particular book all that intersting to be honest.

As a fan of the original series of films, I always thought turning them into a series of novels would be a good move - but this book ain't that move.

An Acoustic Night At The Theatre
An Acoustic Night At The Theatre

4.0 out of 5 stars Acousticego...., 4 Jan 2010
I always have mixed feelings about otherwise good bands put out something like this, because to me it just looks like their ego has gotten so big they think they can release any old drivel and the fanboys/girls will go out and buy it - I had the same reaction to Black Symphony. Thankfully, the saving grace is that, like Black Symphony, it's actually a decent album to listen to... and it helps that Anneke sings on "Somewhere", frankly the only reason I bought it as I'm a huge fan of hers. However, the sooner WT get back to making a 'normal' album, the better.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3