Profile for Glyn > Reviews

Glyn (UK)

Somewhere: Live At The Savoy [DVD] [2006]
Somewhere: Live At The Savoy [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Pet Shop Boys

2.0 out of 5 stars Great show let down by dismal sound. A very disappointing release, 23 Sep 2014
Brilliant show as only you would expect from the PSBs, however the sound on this DVD is beyond terrible. The picture isn't much better either. The concert deserves far more than this dismal release.

Such a shame too, because the show itself it rather brilliant and features a great, albeit rather short, setlist which features some rarely performed tracks. My favourites being The Theatre, To Step Aside, Hallo Spaceboy and the rather brilliant mashup of It's a Sin & I Will Survive.

I give the DVD an extra star thanks to the great 'Behind the Scenes' documentary which provided a few laughs. I just hope a re-issue is released sometime in the future. It certainly deserves one!

EiioX Wood Digital LED Alarm Clock Wooden Clock Desktop-USB POWERED-Time Temperature Date & Sound Control
Offered by VeeCome(UK)

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks great but doesn't have a snooze button!, 11 Jan 2014
I ordered this mainly because it looked nice and simple and was just what I was after. However...

The clock doesn't have a snooze function, or indeed any way of stopping the alarm without having the manually switch the alarm off at the back of the clock. There also isn't any way of knowing if the alarm has been set of not. Normally there is a signal to let you know, but nothing. Very bad design. I should point out that the clock does allow you to set 3 separate alarms, which I suppose could be set 5 or so minutes apart and act as a snooze, but once the 3rd alarm has gone off, that's it.

The temperature and date displays can only be seen by setting them in rotation, i.e. the clock shows for 5 seconds, then the date for 5 seconds, then the temp for 5 seconds. This is very irritating because the light is so bright it looks like a flashing disco in the corner of the room. Also, if you want the clock showing all the time (as I assume most people would) there isn't a way to see the temperature or date.

As I mentioned, the light is also ridiculously bright with no way to dim it.

Also, ignore the description above "perfect for travel use". Hardly... It's massive! Is it quite light though.

Overall, despite looking great, it is so badly designed and I decided to return it and look for something more suitable.

5 Classic Albums [1970 - 1973]
5 Classic Albums [1970 - 1973]

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Collection, 10 Mar 2013
This box is such great value for money. The box is sturdy, and the albums come in nice little slipcases. Unfortunately no booklets or lyrics are supplied, but the music itself more that makes it worthwhile.

I hope they continue the series and release his next 5 albums in a similar way - or perhaps all his albums. It's a nice affordable way of completing your collection.

Dance Again...The Hits [Deluxe CD/DVD]
Dance Again...The Hits [Deluxe CD/DVD]

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing..., 24 July 2012
J Lo has had so many incredible singles that her eventual Greatest Hits release was bound to be fantastic. However, some massive omissions from this collection means that what could be a truly brilliant collection actually becomes a bit of disappointment.

4 of her biggest UK hits are missing! The original Ain't It Funny (UK#4/USA#1) and I'm Real (UK#4/USA#1), plus I'm Gonna Be Alright (Trackmasters Remix) (UK#3/USA#10) and worst of all PLAY! (UK#3/USA#18). I have no idea why, but these tracks definitely deserved a place on this collection. Time constraints definitely wasn't an issue either.

Other omissions include the lesser hits I'm Glad, Hold You Down and Baby I Love You. Although these aren't missed quite as much.

The DVD is even more disappointing. Not only are the above tracks missed off again, but so are the 3 deluxe edition tracks (All I Have, Que Hiciste and Let's Get Loud) plus I'm Into You. P!nk released all of her videos on her accompanying DVD and it's a shame J Lo didn't do the same.

HOWEVER, looking to the positive... all of the songs which did make it onto this collection proves just why J Lo is a great singles artist. Tracks like Love Don't Cost a Thing, Jenny From The Block, The 2 Murder Mixes (Ain't it Funny and I'm Real), Waiting For Tonight and On The Floor are all classic pop songs and it's great to have them all on one disc finally.

So, what should have been a 5* album becomes a bit of a 3* disappointment. But it's still worth a purchase. I'd definitely stay clear from the 13 track standard edition though as that misses off a couple more tracks and doesn't even have a DVD, that IS a waste of time! Get the Deluxe, it's only a couple of quid more.

Magic Hour
Magic Hour

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 30 May 2012
This review is from: Magic Hour (Audio CD)
Been listening to this non-stop since it dropped through my letterbox. Highlights for me are Let's Have a Kiki (The best on the album. It's filthy, funny and reminds me of very early SS), Shady Love, Self Control, Year or Living Dangerously, Somewhere and the bonus track F*** Yeah. Every single track is great though. Definitely their best album since their debut.

Whilst I agree that Night Work was more coherent as an album, I believe that on a track by track basis Magic Hour just beats it.

My only disappointment is the lack of Ana. She only has one track on the album (Kiki) and a few verses here and there. I love her section in 'F*** Yeah' too. Talking of which, I think the remix is much better than the original.

Now I just hope they do an arena tour again. After seeing their Night Work tour I can't wait to see them again!

Oh, it comes in a rubbish card sleeve too. Thankfully that doesn't have any effect on the music, but I prefer jewel cases...

Glee: The Music, Volume 3: Showstoppers
Glee: The Music, Volume 3: Showstoppers
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than Volume 2 - Big ommision though!, 26 May 2010
I love Glee and i've got all 4 soundtracks they has released so far. After the fairly disappointing Vol. 2 I have to say this is much much better.

My favourites are I Dreamed a Dream, Safety Dance, Hello, Total Eclipse, Poker Face and Dream On. I'm not fussed on any of Kurts songs and although I LOVE Kristen Chenoweth i'm not too fussed on the songs she actually sings. Love her voice though... I hope she returns as April in future episodes.

However i was disappointed with the ommision of Run Joey Run. That is possibly my favourite Glee cover so far and it's shame it was skipped. I hope at the end of the series they release a CD with all the tracks that have been missed off the various volumes. (Halo/Walking on Sunhine, Push It and Hair/Crazy in Love are 3 more standouts which have been missed.)

Not keen on the new cover design either - but that hardly here or there - it is all about the music afterall!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2012 2:48 PM BST

The Collection
The Collection

4.0 out of 5 stars A great concept... but something important seems to be missing...., 11 July 2009
This review is from: The Collection (Audio CD)
This box deverves 5 Stars for the mere inclusion of Bad and Dangerous (Both 5* albums in their own right), but where the hell are HIStory and Blood on the Dancefloor?!??! Both contain some absolutely fantastic MJ tracks therefore the box loses a star for not including them...

Aside from this major mishap(!) this box is fantastic value for money. I actually think this was meant to be released to coincide with his tour and not to cash in on his death, but it seems right to release it now regardless.

Long live MJs music!!!

Friends - Season 1-10 Complete Collection (15th Anniversary) [DVD] [2004]
Friends - Season 1-10 Complete Collection (15th Anniversary) [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Jennifer Aniston

5.0 out of 5 stars It looks like the UK are FINALLY getting all the bonus features!!!, 28 Jun 2009
Every single year Warners re-release Friends on DVD and every single year i hope that all the extra stuff which has been released in the US will finally get a UK release... this year looks like it's finally going to happen =D

The BBFC have recently rated 'Extended Episodes', Commentaries and other bonus features!

Even though i own the individual season boxsets i will definately be getting this!