Profile for Chris Davis > Reviews

Content by Chris Davis

Chris Davis

Page: 1 | 2
CHOE UPGRADED Qi Wireless Car Charger Dock with Universal Orienting Windshield / Dashboard and Air Vent Mount for Nexus 6,SONY Xperia Z3V,Moto Droid Turbo,Nexus 5,Nexus 4, Droid Maxx/Mini,LG G3 , Samsung, HTC and Other Qi Wireless Charger Phones
Offered by CHOETECH

4.0 out of 5 stars Just works., 9 Jun 2014
I have to say, I hadn't heard of the brand before this phone holder/dock and £30 isn't exactly the cheapest punt. I am however very impressed with the item. The packaging was clean and crisp. The holder was easy to assemble (you have a choice of attachments in order to tack it to your car) and all the items feel well made.

I wasn't expecting the wireless charging component to work off-the-bat, however I was pleased to see that once I had plugged the cable in via the cigarette charging adapter, it started charging my phone before I had even locked it into place! I have a Nexus 5 and this charges my phone even through the Spigen Slimarmor case I have on it, which impressed me as well. The wireless charging component is quick to figure out a phone has been attached and has a respectable charging pace.

The locking mechanism is easy to use. You slide your phone between the two arms, then squeeze them until your phone is firmly locked into place; you will hear a "clicking" noise as it tightens up. It has not fallen out once for me. Unlocking the phone from the holder is again very easy - there's a button on the back that you press and your phone springs out. Your hand is already in a place to hold the phone when pressing the button so it will fall straight into your hand.

I have only used the suction attachment so far, however it is fantastic. You do not need to use any saliva to make the suction pad stick - all you do is put it in the desired place and then press the button near the rim of the mount attachment; this will then suction it to your windscreen nicely. I've driven well over 1,000 miles since purchasing this and has yet to fall off my screen.

This is, in my opinion a much more graceful approach to in-car charging than wired products. Yes, you still have to plug in the wireless module in order to power it, however it makes clipping and unclipping your phone whilst you're in your car so much easier and faster. It's definitely an ease-of-life product.

I am only dropping a star from this item as it has a tendency to produce a small rattling noise when driving over uneven/bumpy roads. This is a little bit annoying at times but you can pretty much silence it with music.

Overall: Fab product. Worth the money. Would purchase other items from this brand from now on.

Samsung I9205 Galaxy Mega 6.3 inch 8GB Sim Free Smartphone - Black
Samsung I9205 Galaxy Mega 6.3 inch 8GB Sim Free Smartphone - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the money, 2 Sep 2013
I've been using this phone for a couple of weeks now and I'm certainly not disappointed!

Just a note, expect some attention when using this phone. A lot of people I know have commented on my new purchase. Some bad, some good.

The body design is akin to the Galaxy S4, except on a much larger scale. Relatively thin bezels keep this phone from being unwieldy and I am able to hold this phone in one hand comfortably (although I do concede that you'll need both your hands for the majority of operations).

I can comfortably fit this phone into a pair of Topman slimfit jeans, which I was surprised about. It's actually pretty portable. It can be a little finicky whipping the phone out in a snap, but it doesn't bother me that much. I must admit I didn't take it out the last time I went on a night out as I didn't want to end up breaking it if I fell over in a drunken stupor.

Battery life is superb. I am confident that you can easily make it through a day of heavy use without needing to charge. With light use you could probably make it ~3 days without charging, without any battery saving tweaks. It's hard to believe that such a large screen wouldn't just suck up all that power, but since it comes in pretty light on the specs, the monstrous 3300mAh battery has plenty of juice to keep you going.

The phone isn't too heavy and feels comfortable in the hand. The thing that adds most of the weight is the battery, but when you have this much space, a big battery is a must.

The build quality feels pretty solid. Obviously the back is removable so you can access the battery and SIM tray, but again, the back is pretty solid (It is plastic, but I don't have a problem with plastic).

The phone is easy to adjust to. I swapped from an iPhone 5 to this and didn't feel overwhelmed by the size (surprisingly). Using any smaller phone than this now just feels tiny and cramped. The screen real-estate this phone offers is fantastic and I thoroughly appreciate every pixel!

Spec-wise, this phone is definitely mid-range. In real terms, the phone performs pretty well. It's relatively snappy and is overall a pleasant experience. I have experienced lag in some areas on occasion, usually when scrolling in an intensive app, or letting the homescreen load after booting up the phone, but it's easy to overlook. Can play games pretty well (handled Monsters Ate My Condo pretty well, not tried GTA or any similar game yet), which is nice considering the screen size.

Screen quality is actually very nice. Yes, it has a low pixel density and is only 720p, but in reality, you probably won't notice. Coming from the iPhone 5 screen, I couldn't really pick much fault. Everyone I have shown the phone to has complimented the screen quality. The only people I could see disliking the screen on this would be spec snobs.

Call quality seems to be pretty good. I didn't have a problem holding this phone to my ear but if you feel you may look a bit silly doing so I'd suggest to invest in a Bluetooth headset.

If you like to tinker with your Android devices, this may not be the best phone to pick up (unless you're a developer of course). Developer support is pretty low on places like XDA, but there are working rooting methods if that's what you're in to. You'd be better off with the S4 or a Nexus if that's your main priority (although you do sacrifice screen size for it).

Unlike the S4, the Galaxy Mega does not (yet) support the App2SD feature (installing apps to the SD card), which makes 8GB a tight fit and your 64GB SD card rather limited in its usage. I am hoping that the App2SD feature will be supported in the future, but I can't find any information saying that Samsung will be doing so. There's not even a rooted option (beside FolderMount, but that isn't exactly the same as installing apps to SD card).

Overall, a top-notch phone for the price. It loses a star for the bit of lag I've noticed and the lack of App2SD. Besides that, a great for phone for those that are looking for a big screen at a not-so-big price.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2013 12:42 AM GMT

Kitchen Craft Home Made Deluxe Glass Preserving Jar, 1000ml (35oz)
Kitchen Craft Home Made Deluxe Glass Preserving Jar, 1000ml (35oz)
Offered by Indiabazaar

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 14 Jun 2013
Bought one of these to store some coconut oil in. Delivery was prompt (several days ahead of time in fact) and product came in a well padded package. Jar appears sturdy and the lid lock is much better than an identical jar I had a look at in Tesco. In fact, the one in Tesco was that bad, I thought I was going to break it by trying to fasten it back up! Lid feels a little flimsy when you're opening the jar, but that's probably just because of the flexibility in the hinge.

The jar was dirty on arrival, but the note on the lid gave instructions for properly washing the jar, which was nice. It also gave instructions on how to sterilise it.

Seems good value for money and does exactly what I want it to do. Couldn't ask for more!

Raw Health Organic Squeezy Romanian Acacia Honey 350 g (Pack of 2)
Raw Health Organic Squeezy Romanian Acacia Honey 350 g (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!, 14 Jun 2013
I'm not usually a fan of the taste of honey, but this stuff I could eat on its own just fine. It has a lovely, sweet taste to it and I've used it so far for adding a bit of sweetness to sauces and I put some on top of sweet potato and squash when I bake them. Would be a great sweetener for baked goods too.

Not cheap, but one of the better value products I've encountered when looking through raw & organic honey products.

Overall: great. Would purchase again.

Biona Organic Raw Virgin Coconut Oil 800 g
Biona Organic Raw Virgin Coconut Oil 800 g

5.0 out of 5 stars The only oil you should be cooking with., 14 Jun 2013
Coconut oil is a fantastic product, which is very versatile. It's great to cook with. I use it for frying and baking. It does not leave a (strong) taste of coconut on food cooked in it, so even if you dislike the taste of coconut (as my girlfriend does, unfortunately), you can still use this product without worry.

This product appears to be the best value for money, especially taking into account the Subscribe & Save programme Amazon runs too (extra ~£1.50 off if memory serves me well). The Tesco I shop at only sells the one brand of Coconut oil, which is £7.99 for 250g, so this works out much better value.

It smells lovely and coconutty! I usually have a quick smell of the oil before I spoon some into a pan for frying as I love the smell of coconut. Others have mentioned that the oil appears to be inferior quality in comparison to other products, however it seems to be of similar quality in my opinion.

I think most people have covered the point that Coconut oil is an extremely beneficial product to consume, with a multitude of health benefits. It is comprised mostly of saturated fats, but don't let that put you off - saturated fats are crucial building blocks of healthy, balanced diet.

For those that are concerned about the toxins from the plastic jar leeching into the oil, I would suggest investing in a glass preserving jar and transferring the oil on delivery to it. This is what I did and it was pretty easy. I read on another review's comments that the plastic does not contain BPA, but still, thought it might be a useful piece of advice to some.

In Car Holder for Apple Iphone 6 / 6 Plus / 5 / 4 / 4s / 3G / 3 and IPOD series 2015 Model
Offered by Best Digital Market

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, 4 Jun 2013
NOTE: Please read bottom edits with regard to my issues with the original product I received.

Fairly intuitive to use and a good design for a universal device holder, which is lucky considering the instructions are written in pigeon English.

The sucker is pretty good, it hasn't come loose apart from when I've removed it from my windscreen.

Fits my iPhone 5 well, haven't tried other devices but the clamp opens up to a decent width, which should accommodate all current popular mobile phones, or any other small electronic devices you may want in your peripheral view when driving (sat nav for example).

My issues with this product are twofold:

1. Despite reviews claiming otherwise, my phone can and will vibrate when inside the holder on journeys
2. The arm mechanism has seemingly become loose after a day of usage. This means that the arm will, at certain angles, be unable to support the weight of the phone and inevitably flops, leaving you with a displeasing viewing angle. I have to move it about until I find an angle where it stays in place.

Based on the other reviews, it appears I have received a faulty unit.

EDIT: The seller came back to me fairly quickly with the offer of a replacement or refund based on this review, which I am pleased about; therefore I have decided to up my star rating to 4 stars. Will re-edit my review when I have a fully functional unit to test.

EDIT 2: I received a replacement product very quickly after conversing with the vendor (less than 2 days), was impressed with the speed at which the company pushed out a replacement. I appeared to be sent a different model to the one I originally received. The replacement model is a matte grey colour with no aesthetic modifications, unlike the original product, which was a slightly glossy black colour.

The replacement model's arm works, which I am happy about as that was my main gripe with the original product I received, however there is still a distinct, noticeable vibration when using roads that aren't smooth as butter (so, most roads in the UK). I find that if you can clamp/tighten the arm with something, it will considerably lower the vibrations to a point where you can filter them out. I am reverting back to my 3 star rating because of this.

Philips Fidelio AD7000W SoundAvia Wireless Speaker with AirPlay
Philips Fidelio AD7000W SoundAvia Wireless Speaker with AirPlay
Offered by eHome

4.0 out of 5 stars Great way to get AirPlay into your house, 10 Dec 2012
I snagged this on the Amazon lightning deals for ~£76, and so far have been impressed with it.

When I first opened the packaging and got the speaker out, it immediately felt like it was built out of solid materials, which was nice. The instructions for setting this thing up are large and unwieldy, but it's actually easy to set up (I set it by connecting my device to the speaker's temporary WiFi network and setting up the network credentials for my home wireless network).

Sound quality is decent - I'd probably say it's good enough for the price-point, but don't expect it to rival the top-notch (and expense) speakers in that regard. You get what you pay for. Volume is good - it can get pretty loud if you want it to. It's most definitely better than trying to listen to some music on your iPad or iPhone.

The usability of this product is fantastic, although there is some noticeable lag with the controls. AirPlay is as simple as touching the AirPlay button on your desired app and selecting your new shiny speaker. Done. It will take about 3-5 seconds to start playing on the speaker though, which is a little annoying as you can't be completely sure whether you've mis-hit the button or it's just taking its sweet time. Volume control is instant but playing, skipping or selecting a new track invokes a delay. It really is so simple to use though. It's great.

Portability is a bit of an issue. It may not actually bear any relevance to most reading this, but if you have some music on and you want to move it to another room, you can't just pick this speaker up and take it with you, as it has to be plugged into the mains. I didn't think this would be a problem when I bought it, but I could see the benefit of having a small battery incorporated to facilitate playback without it being plugged into the mains. When you move rooms, you have to turn the speaker off, unplug it, move it to your desired place, plug it back in, turn it on, wait 30 seconds-1 minute until it connects to the WiFi in order to start playing music again. In terms of the actual logistics - it's not heavy so it's fine that respect.

Overall, I like it, but it has a few things stopping me giving it a 5 star rating. I don't think it's worth a RRP of £180. I still think £130 might be pushing it, but for £76 I definitely felt I nabbed a proper bargain. Lovely!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 10, 2013 7:34 PM GMT

Diesel LoverDose Eau de Parfum for Women - 50 ml
Diesel LoverDose Eau de Parfum for Women - 50 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't get enough., 25 Sep 2012
I bought this as one of a few presents for my girlfriend's recent birthday. She has worn it before and was running out, so this seemed like an ideal gift (and it went down well).

Firstly, delivery was top-notch and arrived on-time. No issues there.

Now, for the product.

Let me just say: wow. This is such an amazing scent. I've never smelt a perfume on a girl that smells quite as good as this. It's sweet, but I don't think it's overpoweringly sweet. It has a wonderfully feminine aroma that I find very attractive. My girlfriend owns several other perfumes, but none of them match up scent-wise, not even close. She knows to wear this stuff when I'm around because I love it that much (and so does she!)

This stuff has great staying power, too. If she sprays it on in the morning and we go out somewhere for the day, I can still smell it on her when we get back in the evening. It's brilliant!

Bottom-line:
Lads - if you're looking for a good birthday present/stocking filler, you can't go wrong with perfume. Especially this stuff. You'll love it too. Trust me.
Ladies - if you're looking for a sweet, feminine scent that lasts, look no further.

I thought some male approval would be useful here too.

Underworks Mens Extreme Gynecomastia Chest Binder Girdle T-shirt X-large Black
Underworks Mens Extreme Gynecomastia Chest Binder Girdle T-shirt X-large Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective, although a tad pricey., 14 Dec 2011
I bought one of these a while back as I'm carrying some excess weight around my torso. I struggle to find a clothing size that suits my physique. I need a size that sits quite tightly on my torso so as to bind it in, but at the same time it can't be too tight as it'll look pretty bad. Baggy clothes are a no-no too, as they make me look much bigger than I actually am.

Enter this product.

I was a little astonished at the great work this top can do when you put it on. It bound me in nicely, keeping any manboob sightings at bay. I was finally happy looking at my torso in a mirror with this thing on.

I wear this as an under layer t-shirt, usually when on a night out. I wore this underneath a fairly tight fitting Superdry shirt and the combination produced a multitude of compliments from friends about how thin I looked (in a good way). This was nice to hear and definitely boosted my confidence. It adds very little bulk and hasn't stretched since I've had it.

I did give it 4 stars so there's obviously some things I'm not crazy about. First of all is the price. It's quite expensive considering it's a plain t-shirt that you'll mostly wear underneath something else, but I guess if you don't consider it a 'true' piece of clothing and rather more of a tool to improve your appearance, it's not that bad.

Secondly is sweat. I know the previous review mentions that it soaks sweat quite well, but it really doesn't. Tight clothing can make sweat appear worse so I would say you'd need to watch out in this respect. On a night out to a few fairly warm bars (just sat down, no dancing or whatever) and my outer shirt had noticeably large sweat patches. I didn't notice at the time, but it made for some embarrassing viewing when I went through the photos taken throughout the night the following day. My advice would be if you sweat regularly or very easily, be aware that you'll probably need to wear a strong antiperspirant or a dark outer-layer.

Other than this, it's an amazing product.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2012 1:19 PM GMT

Perspi-Guard 50ML
Perspi-Guard 50ML
Offered by Greens Pharmacy

4.0 out of 5 stars Works, but not as effective as promised, 14 Dec 2011
This review is from: Perspi-Guard 50ML (Personal Care)
I suffer from profusely sweating from the underarms and have known the horror of sticking to mainly black clothes and completely ruining tops because of un-washable stains. I decided I couldn't stand it any longer and went to look for a product to help alleviate this.

I bought this, feeling quite sceptical that it'd make any difference. I applied 4 sprays to each underarm and rubbed it in as instructed. The next day, by lunch time, I was sweating. Whilst annoyed, I tried again. I applied several more sprays the following night (to make a total of 7 sprays per underarm), the day after I felt much drier. What a relief. It actually worked. Not great, but it still worked for long enough.

The instructions note that you should apply 3-4 sprays every 4-5 days. That is a pretty optimistic claim and I would say to ignore that right off the bat. I need to apply roughly 8 sprays to each underarm every ~3 days otherwise the sweat starts creeping back.

Let's also be realistic here, it doesn't completely stop you sweating, but if you're fairly sedentary like I am and still sweat, this WILL keep you dry for the most part. If you do any sport or go to the gym, expect to sweat like usual (which shouldn't be a problem, as that is half the point after all isn't it?).

I usually save this product for when I go out with friends or put on a colour shirt for work that will show up sweat badly. This way I don't use it up too fast. Since these usually coincide during the week, I'll usually end up with a coat of it on whilst at work anyway, so it doesn't matter too much.

The description also notes that you should put it on the night before, however in a pinch I'll usually just apply it before I'm going out (regular deodorant follows roughly after 5-10 minutes from application). It seems to work fairly instantly, which is great.

Overall, I would recommend this product but don't follow the optimistic claims it presents. It IS a life-changer, most definitely. I feel a lot more confident wearing some of the clothes that have been sitting in my wardrobe for ages and allows me to be more expressive in my future purchasing of clothing items!

Page: 1 | 2