Profile for lizzie > Reviews

Downton Abbey: A Journey to the Highlands (Christmas Special 2012) [DVD]
Downton Abbey: A Journey to the Highlands (Christmas Special 2012) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugh Bonneville

3.0 out of 5 stars Ummm, a Christmas Special?, 27 Dec 2012
I am a Downton fan, I must admit. I have watched and enjoyed all of the previous episodes, found the writing witty and the characters interesting. This "Christmas Special" makes me feel that it was written by someone else, as it had little or none of the characteristics of previous shows. Where were Violet's one liners? Where was a story? What was the point? The scenery was very nice, being in Scotland, but it was about the best part of the whole thing. The DVD is good, as always, the quality is fine, but this will not be a memorable episode for me. Last year's Christmas special was terrific, this one seemed like a show that was setting up events for a future series and therefore had little of interest in it. And the ending was a real letdown. I realise Julian Fellowes had little choice, but it had none of the pathos of episode 5 in series 3. Once watched soon forgotten this one.

Canon PIXMA MG5450 All-In-One Colour Printer (Print, Copy, Scan, Wi-Fi, Touch control and Air Print)
Offered by Refillexpress UK SAMEDAY DESPATCH

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but Ouch!, 14 Dec 2012
This printer replaces another Canon which died after years of service. I am delighted in the size of it and it does all things well. I am especially delighted that it will wirelessly print from the computer, iPad or iPhone. The ouch is that at the moment the only ink you can get is Canon ink, no cheaper versions, as it is a new model and takes 550/551 cartridges which don't fit other machines. With cashback it's a great deal, about £60 for a great printer...until you figure in that a set of cartridges costs between £50-60. I'm hoping for cheaper ink compatables soon! My other little niggle with it is that it prints the last page first, I assume so when you are finished you have a document in the right order. But sometimes I don't need all of the pages and stop the print before the end, so it is a waste of ink and paper to do it this way.

UPdate: my niggle on the price of ink is increasing. I have had the printer 3 months, it cost (with cashback) £60. I have now replaced all the inks with XL versions (£65) in hopes that they will last longer. The black everyday (550) cartrige has been replaced twice already. £60 3 or 4 times a year doesn't make this as good a printer as I had hoped for, though it prints very well. I use it on fast to save on ink and the quiet mode is great. It does take a long time to print the first copy though!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2013 10:58 PM BST

Marathon Kensington Stripe 5 Pair Pack Men's Socks
Marathon Kensington Stripe 5 Pair Pack Men's Socks

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice enough, 1 Dec 2012
Bought these in the Black Friday sale, they are OK for £10, but would be totally overpriced at the usual Amazon price. 5 pairs, ok everyday socks, but nothing special.

Snugg iPhone 5 / 5S Ultra Thin Case With Lifetime Guranatee - Ultra Slim Profile, Non Slip, Protective and Soft to touch for Apple iPhone 5 / 5S (Black)
Offered by TheSnugg

3.0 out of 5 stars Snugg?, 30 Nov 2012
Love the look of the case, love the feel, but it isn't very snugg to me, slips on and off too easily and I am afraid it will fall off. Maybe that's the way it's supposed to be, but I am wary of it.

Aurora 13-inch Nature Babies Minty Soft Toy
Aurora 13-inch Nature Babies Minty Soft Toy

5.0 out of 5 stars Ooh....how cute!, 27 Nov 2012
This little lamb is soon cute! It's lovely and soft too. A bit smaller than I expected, but still works well.

Ice-Watch Unisex Winter Deep Red Analogue Watch SW.DR.U.S with Silicone Strap
Ice-Watch Unisex Winter Deep Red Analogue Watch SW.DR.U.S with Silicone Strap

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price, 27 Nov 2012
I like this watch, it's casual, it's chunky, it's fun. Only 4 stars because I have a large wrist-8 inch and I am on the last hole on the strap. If it' s unisex it's for a man with a fairly thin wrist. Worth the £20 I paid, but I'm just not trendy enough to pay £70+. Love the colour too, not bright red.

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Royal Purple  [will only fit Kindle Paperwhite (5th and 6th Generation)]
Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Royal Purple [will only fit Kindle Paperwhite (5th and 6th Generation)]

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good, but..., 24 Oct 2012
The new Paperwhite case is good. It is light, it is hard enough to provide protection for the PW unit, it has a great magnetic clasp to keep it closed and a space open for the charger. The lightness and hardness does make it feel a bit plasticky, not like the luxurious KK covers of a few years ago. But I am sooo disappointed with the colour! I ordered Royal Purple and it is not like the lovely colour in the picture, it is a dark plummy purple, not royal at all. Just don't like it, so am returning for another colour.
I returned it for a fuchsia one, it must be me because I don't like the colour of that either. It isn't as bright and good looking as the pictures, just makes it look cheap and plastic. It functions well, but just not for me I guess.

Is it Just Me?
Is it Just Me?
by Miranda Hart
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Try Something Different!, 12 Oct 2012
This review is from: Is it Just Me? (Audio CD)
I admit I am a book reader. I also admit I am a fan of Miranda Hart. I noticed that the audiobook was read by her and only £1 more than the hardback, so I thought I'd give it a try. Miranda's voice and phrasing are so special it makes the book even funnier. Try something different if you are not an audiobook listener, it is worth it!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2012 1:19 AM GMT

Rodgers & Hammerstein at the Movies
Rodgers & Hammerstein at the Movies

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been sooo much better!, 11 Oct 2012
I agree with the other reviews that compared to the fabulous live performances at the Proms, this recording is a bit flat. Perhaps not the best choice of music. I would also like to point out the the mp3 download has an additional number not listed on the CD, "I Enjoy Being a Girl" from Flower Drum Song.

The Chronicles of Downton Abbey (Official Series 3 TV tie-in)
The Chronicles of Downton Abbey (Official Series 3 TV tie-in)
by Jessica Fellowes

5.0 out of 5 stars A gorgeous book!, 15 Sep 2012
Another lovely book from Jessica Fellowes following the story of Downton Abbey. The photos are beautiful, the insights to the changing times of the early 1920's are well written and add to the characters portrayal we see on television. It's not deep, it's not a great mystery or thriller, it's just a great read if you are a fan of Downton. This is available as a Kindle edition as well, but the photos are such an important part of the book I think the real book is more useful.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2012 2:46 PM BST