Profile for lizzie > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Sage by Heston Blumenthal the Smart Toast, 2 Slice, 1800 Watt
Sage by Heston Blumenthal the Smart Toast, 2 Slice, 1800 Watt

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Toaster!, 24 Mar. 2014
I tried the longslot version of this first and found it was faulty. it almost put me off, but I figured I would give Sage another try. I am glad I did, because this 2 slice toaster is great! Looks fab, doesn't take up a huge amount of room on the countertop, a discreet beep, and - at least so far - it toasts very well. What I didn't realize with the different function buttons is that you can use more than one at a time. For example frozen crumpets. The sides on this one are completely cold after use. I knock 1 star off for the price, but the toast is great!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2014 10:31 AM BST

Sage by Heston Blumenthal the Smart Kettle, 1.7 Litre, 3000 Watt
Sage by Heston Blumenthal the Smart Kettle, 1.7 Litre, 3000 Watt

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 24 Mar. 2014
What a gorgeous kettle! Not as huge as I thought it might be, looks fab, does beep but it is a gentle beep. Boils quickly, could shut off a bit quicker but that is a minor point. This does not have cool wall sides, so care is needed around children. Love it!

Love on 42nd Street
Love on 42nd Street

5.0 out of 5 stars What Excellent Talent!, 19 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Love on 42nd Street (MP3 Download)
The young writing duo of Dan and Laura Curtis are just spectacular, this new music is very emotional and in varying styles, all relating to love. I was particularly touched by Lea Salonga's song, the words are so true. And in addition to some wonderful new music there are 8 spectacular voices to sing it. Loved the quasi rock of John Owen Jones and the gospel of Katy Treharne, the light operatic of Sierra Boggess. Every number a hit!

Melissa & Doug Plush Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Melissa & Doug Plush Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

4.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, but not perfect, 15 Mar. 2014
This was the third Melissa & Doug plush I ordered. The other two suffered from poor quality control. At least this one isn't obviously lopsided and the legs seem to be the right length. The longer "fur" hides the seems, though it comes out quite easily. I wouldn't say this looks exactly like a Cavvie, but it will do.

Melissa & Doug Yorkshire Terrier - Plush
Melissa & Doug Yorkshire Terrier - Plush
Offered by The Global Trader

2.0 out of 5 stars Learned my lesson, 15 Mar. 2014
This was the second Melissa and Doug plush I ordered and I have learned my lesson. They have the potential to be really good and so cute. But the one I got was put together badly, apart from having one leg shorter than the other it also had the left side ear and eye lower than the right, a very lopsided look.

Melissa & Doug Plush Jack Russell Terrier
Melissa & Doug Plush Jack Russell Terrier

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality, 15 Mar. 2014
I bought this on the strength of the reviews and I was not impressed. It was a good size and not too hard to the touch. The seems were poorly finished, were brown bits in the white and seems very obvious. My main problem with it was one leg was shorter than the others, so it looked like it was cocking its leg. I've never had one of these before, so is it supposed to be like that? Impression of movement or something? Sorry, not a good look.

Sage by Heston Blumenthal the Smart Toast, 4 Slice, Brushed Metal Finish, 1650 Watt

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality, but...., 6 Mar. 2014
Often when a celeb chef puts their name to something it sells lots, but isn't worth the price. Not so with the Sage Smart toaster and the rest of the range, with the Heston Blumenthal name attached. This is a quality piece of equipment. It is die-cast metal not plastic and very well built. I like the "quick look" and "a bit more" functions. I like the long and wide slots for artisan breads and rolls. Because the controls are on the end rather than side like many long slot toasters,this sticks out about 15", though it is only about 7" wide. This model also has a variable volume beep that tells you the toast is done, which you can switch off if you wish. This model, as opposed to the 2 and 4 slice standard slot versions, has a Fruit loaf button which toasts at a different temperature than standard, for those breads with a higher sugar content. It also has a crumpet/bagel button which will toast more on one side than the other. They are actually the same button, pressed once or twice.
I am slightly surprised that given the price it only has a 2 year guarantee. It is an eye-watering price for a toaster.
UPDATE: after using this for a few days I am disappointed. The sides get quite warm, I would not call this a "cool wall" product. But the major issue for me is that while it toasts evenly, it seems to either burn or be too light. I wanted to use this to toast bagels, delighted to have a bagel button, but it nearly burns on the lowest setting. Not what I expected for the price, I will investigate to see if it's faulty, or return. (it was faulty and was returned)

Le Creuset Stoneware Mug, 350 ml - Marseille Blue
Le Creuset Stoneware Mug, 350 ml - Marseille Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Mugs!, 1 Feb. 2014
Bought on an offer of 3 for 2, I bought different colours for a bit of brightness. They look much better than in the pictures. Not cheap, but have a 5 year guarantee and will go from freezer to microwave to dishwasher.
Sad that Amazon ended the offer early, as I went to order some more and though the promotion info was there it wouldn't show in the checkout. Might have something to do with the fact that Amazon lowered the prices a bit.

Magimix 11529 Vision Toaster, Black
Magimix 11529 Vision Toaster, Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected more for the money, 31 Jan. 2014
I bought this toaster to replace an old Magimix one, so I know how they work. I also know how well built they are. I drooled over this Vision toaster for a long time before buying. 5 stars for the build and the look! But it's a clever gimmick, I think. The toast was unevenly done, to the point where the top was almost burnt and the bottom was barely brown, the middle was crispier but not browned. Not too good for a toaster, my old Magimix is far better. A couple of thoughts... my old Magimix had a bell that dinged when the toast popped up, this machine doesn't. The plus is it's quieter to use, the negative is that the toast goes cold if I haven't heard it. I agree with a previous review that said because of the "glow" produced when the toaster is on it is hard to tell what colour the toast actually is, until you pop it up. The glow makes it look darker than it is. And as much as I love the idea of the glass to see the toast, most people have a toaster against a wall, so you only see one side anyway. Is it worth it? TBH, not really.

Bodum Pavina Double Walled Thermo Glasses 0.35l x 2
Bodum Pavina Double Walled Thermo Glasses 0.35l x 2

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, But..., 30 Jan. 2014
These are nice glasses; nice design, nice to hold, great size. Unfortunately, one of the two arrived with condensation between the glass. Can't find a crack and have put it through the dishwasher with no disaster, but I do notice it doesn't hold the heat as the other one does.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17