Profile for lizzie > Reviews

Dualit NX Nespresso Compatible Variety Pack - 50 Capsules
Dualit NX Nespresso Compatible Variety Pack - 50 Capsules
Offered by Selectric London Limited

2.0 out of 5 stars Compatible?, 12 Jan 2014
I have a Nespresso Citiz and these capsules were compatible with it, though it took a lot of strength to push down the lever to make it work. The first time I tried I couldn't get it to work.
The capsules, IMO, are over packaged(as each is individually wrapped and sealed in plastic wrapping) and are plastic unlike the Nespresso ones which are a foil. The teeth that pierce the small end of the capsule have a hard time with the thick plastic and sometimes the capsule catches on the mechanism and either needs to be guided in or afterwards pushed/popped out. The coffee is ok, a bit bitter to me, but perhaps it is the strength, a 7, that I find a bit strong.
I did not buy these from Amazon, my local supermarket sells them for £2.50 for 10.

Denon DHT-T100 Soundbar for TV - Black
Denon DHT-T100 Soundbar for TV - Black
Offered by Superfi

4.0 out of 5 stars It Works!, 21 Dec 2013
I wanted something to improve the dialog on my TV, I'm not into hi tech stuff and don't care about booming base or blasting action films. I tried a soundbar, but the height of them usually interfered with the infrared sensor on the TV, so it was a bit of a hassle. I looked at the Bose Solo, but found it was too small for my 40" TV, both size of the base and weight of the TV. Looking around for an alternative I stumbled on Denon and also read reviews of the Maxell. I dithered between the two, but went for the Denon (61cm long) because the unit is smaller than the Maxell (94cm long). The Denon takes up to 27kg of weight and up to a 50" set with a wide base. The sound is very good and can be switched between 5 different modes, as well as day/night. OK, it's not a 5.1 surround system, but I didn't want one. The speech mode is great but TBH the other ones all sound alike to me. I love the fact that there are no lights glaring at me, but subtle on the top of the unit. It was easy to connect and easy to "learn" my Sky remote, so volume can be controlled from that remote. The default of the machine is that when it detects a tv signal it turns on and therefore also automatically turns off when the tv is turned off. You can easily change this feature to manual if you wish to. So, I would only need the Denon remote to change the modes. It was also easy to pair up my Bluetooth devices and stream music. It looks neat and tidy and does the job.
Update: after a day's use I am concerned that the Denon remote, needed to change modes and switch from tv to Bluetooth, is very unresponsive. Tried it right next to the unit, as I wondered if it was too far away, no difference. Changed battery, no difference. I have managed to get it to work by bending the contact in the remote.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2013 2:59 PM GMT

Sonos PLAY:1 White - The Wireless Hi-Fi
Sonos PLAY:1 White - The Wireless Hi-Fi

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab speaker!, 20 Dec 2013
I already own a Sonos Play 3, so this was an addition for the kitchen. Great speaker! Hefty, so it won't accidentally fall over, looks great. Not very big, so it's not intrusive. Great!
I have knocked 1 star off more for Amazon than Sonos. This item does NOT come with a free Bridge, you have to add one to your basket manually and then the cost is deducted. If you don't read the fine print you might miss that and not get the Bridge. I already have one, so not needed, but others might. Deal needs to be made clearer, Amazon!

Vicious - Series 1 [DVD]
Vicious - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ian McKellen

5.0 out of 5 stars I think I get it..., 19 Dec 2013
This review is from: Vicious - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I think Vicious is a superb piece of theatrical comedy and makes more sense when you watch the special interviews with the actors and writer included with the DVD. After listening to their thoughts it is even more enjoyable. Wonderful, hoping for a next season.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!, 19 Dec 2013
Great pen! classy design, as the barrel pulls out in the middle and that extends the tip. Love the fact that my porous tips fit this. Great weight to it, well balanced and feels nice in the hand.

Cross Sauvage Onyx Lacquer and Zebra Pattern Rollerball - Black
Cross Sauvage Onyx Lacquer and Zebra Pattern Rollerball - Black
Offered by A.T Cross Company

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect!, 19 Dec 2013
I love most things about this pen; the style, the weight, the ability to change the tips, the price, the screw cap. The only thing I find a niggle is that the cap doesn't cling on to the pen barrel when in use...like in the picture...it is loose and falls off. Other than that, perfect!

Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor - 50th Anniversary Special [DVD]
Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor - 50th Anniversary Special [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matt Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Hype?, 19 Dec 2013
Was it worth the hype? I don't know...it was good, very good, but we had been hearing about it for so long expectations were off the scale. It was good because it explained some missing bits of storyline and it was well done. Being of a certain age, the best bit for me was the last few minutes when the "caretaker" arrived. Good special features, though I am REALLY disappointed that the best short film of the 50th, "The Five(ish) Doctors Rebooted" wasn't on the disc. It was terrific!

Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Acting (But Were Afraid To Ask, Dear)

5.0 out of 5 stars a Hit!, 21 Nov 2013
I'm not a luvvie, but I loved this book! I thought it was very informative should I ever want to become an actor. I now have all the tips I need to become a West End star. All I am missing is talent, but according to WEP that may not be a deal breaker. Amazeballs, is all I can say, dear.

Twelve South BookArc Stand for iPad 2,3,4, iPad Air & iPad Mini
Twelve South BookArc Stand for iPad 2,3,4, iPad Air & iPad Mini

3.0 out of 5 stars A Lot for What?, 20 Nov 2013
At nearly £35, this is a lot to pay for a piece of metal. OK, it was well packaged and looked very neat, but I found the silicone inserts fiddly to get in and out. And my iPad Air, with a case on it, just didn't fit either of the inserts. I could get it shoved in with one, but it was absolutely upright and not easy to read without a tilt. Like so many things I have tried, they work great if you don't have a case on the ipad.

Clickfree CA3D20-6CBK2-G1Z 2TB C6 USB 3.0 3.5 Inch Desktop Backup Drive
Clickfree CA3D20-6CBK2-G1Z 2TB C6 USB 3.0 3.5 Inch Desktop Backup Drive

2.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, sort of...if you're lucky, 17 Nov 2013
This is my second Clickfree, the first being a 500gb portable one. The desktop unit is large, heavy, but is easy to plug in and get set up. The box does contain instructions for Windows 8 as well as older operating systems. I had no trouble setting up and running the first backup. I bought the C6 because I wanted to backup my whole system rather than just the files, which my old one did. I don't have a huge amount of stuff on my computer, but the first backup took almost 18 hours. OK, I started it off around 6pm and it finished the next day after 10am, and it wasn't an inconvenience. Since then, I have used the scheduler to have daily backups done when my computer is on. I have tried, but it will not automatically back up. When I manually backup it can take an hour and a half and that is, according to the space info, with less than 25% of the 2TB space taken. I have emailed Clickfree and have had no response. So, it does the job; is much slower than my old one, will not backup itself, but it has backed up the whole computer and has better rescue options than the old one.
Update: I decided to return this for a replacement, to see if the slowness and lack of scheduling was a fault. Amazon were very prompt and sent out a replacement, great service. Unfortunately, this one was even worse! It would not load, when it finally did after many tries it would try to update and then get a "programme not responding". It would sometimes show both device and storage, sometimes not. Would not launch itself, but had to be manually tried and I could never get it past the start page. It would stick on Loading for 10 minutes and then just stop. If it took more than 2 hours to get it to the start page I am reluctant to do the backup. It's going back, I suppose if I were more technically minded I could sort it out, but that's not the point of the whole thing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 28, 2014 3:21 AM GMT