Profile for lizzie > Reviews

Content by lizzie

lizzie (north of north)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13
Altec Lansing Octive 450 iPad Speaker System with Dock (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Great Idea!, 4 Aug 2011
I think this is a great design innovation and perfect for the IPad! It swivels portrait or landscape, it charges, the sound is very good - especially for films and spoken word. I have an IPad 2 and it fits well, but I have it docked with a back cover and the smart cover in place. Without those it would probably be loose. The Apple store desciption of the same product, which they are selling at a vastly increased price, says it includes an additional connector arm for the IPad 2. This was not included in the box I purchased from Amazon and the Altec Lansing site does not mention it. I don't think it is needed, though. It would be more of a hassle to take off the back cover every time I wanted to dock it, so it's fine as it is.

Chapelwood Jet Black Ultimate Peanut Feeder 12"
Chapelwood Jet Black Ultimate Peanut Feeder 12"

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite the same and does not quite work, 1 Aug 2011
I bought the ultimate peanut feeder, it has a black top and bottom, but the metal in the middle is stainless steel. No perch, no tray at the bottom. it is very sturdy and easy to clean. It will last a long time, especially as the birds won't use it. Not a peck in 4 days, while my other feeders are empty. Is it the shiney steel surface? Is it the size of the holes? Is it not having a perch? No idea, but, as with all of the Chapelwood feeders I bought recently, the birds don't like them for some reason. I would love to know why.

Chapelwood Heavy Duty Suet Ball Feeder
Chapelwood Heavy Duty Suet Ball Feeder
Offered by Sam Turner & Sons

3.0 out of 5 stars Should be great, but..., 1 Aug 2011
I bought this after replacing yet another wire mesh one which the larger birds pryed apart. Ah, I thought, this is great! Holes for them to get at the fat balls, but really strong and sturdy. Yes it is. But for some reason the birds won't use it. The fat balls that would be eaten in a morning are still there 3 days later. My only guess is that it is shiny metal - does it frighten them off? Don't know, but it has been a waste of money so far.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 23, 2013 2:48 PM GMT

Chapelwood Heavy Duty Sunflower Heart Feeder
Chapelwood Heavy Duty Sunflower Heart Feeder

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks nice, but...., 1 Aug 2011
Looks really nice, heavy duty and solid. No perch or overhang for weather. I must have the wrong kinds of birds in my garden, they won't use it. Cling on for a few seconds and look at it, then fly off.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2013 5:37 PM GMT

Pretty Good Joke Book (Prairie Home Companion)
Pretty Good Joke Book (Prairie Home Companion)
by Garrison Keillor

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, clean jokes, 30 July 2011
This is a great book for jokes. They do have a USA bias, though, and some will not be relevant to other countries. The buyer should be aware that this is the 4th edition, with new jokes, but it encompasses the first 3 editions. It is not a whole new book, so if you have a previous one, this will have some new material in it, but is largely the same.

Skagen Ceramic White Label Women's Quartz Watch with White Dial Analogue Display and White Ceramic Bracelet 572SSXWC

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had bought from Amazon!, 21 May 2011
I bought this watch from the USA at a cheaper price, but when the customs charges were added on - which I was expecting - it cost more than the Amazon price! I love the watch, however, and wear it all the time. I wanted a sleek, clean, unfussy watch that looks great and I got one.
Buyers should be aware that the band length is long - it fits my 8" wrist perfectly. It closes with a deployment buckle, but links can be removed by a jeweller. Skagen told me directly that links could be added if it was necessary, I assume from them. This is classed as a medium dial size, not petite but not big and chunky. Looks great, sleek and classy with the trademark Skagen slim case, only 6-7mm. I always wanted a ceramic watch and this classic one will last long after the trend is over.

Sony XDRDS12IP iPod/iPhone Speaker Dock with Clock Radio Function
Sony XDRDS12IP iPod/iPhone Speaker Dock with Clock Radio Function

3.0 out of 5 stars Works for me, but..., 10 Feb 2011
Bought this elsewhere for a cheaper price, but happy with it. Lots of DAB stations and it set up automatically. I have a Touch 4th gen and have had no problems, though at the moment I don't have any of the adaptors in place. Neither of the ones provided works with a 4th gen Touch and the no. 20 that Apple says works with it doesn't. Seems to work fine without one, though. Good buy for a dock, charger, radio and DAB radio.
Update: I now have the problem of a previous reviewer. When the Ipod is docked and not shut off the DAB sounds like it's going in and out of tune, a bit like gurgling. Doesn't die, but not clear. When the Ipod comes out it is fine. Hmmmm.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 24, 2011 2:42 PM GMT

Beurer Health Care Set - BC08 Blood Pressure Monitor & FT-09 Digital Thermometer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great service, but..., 27 Jan 2011
Great service from the seller, fast delivery and well packaged. Unfortunately the product was very inaccurate. Returned for refund.

Les Miserables - 25th Anniversary [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Les Miserables - 25th Anniversary [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Matt Lucas

5.0 out of 5 stars Different, but just as good!, 27 Dec 2010
I have been a Les Mis fan for 25 years and have seen many productions over the years. I also have the Symphonic Version and the 10th anniversary concert dvd. As with all things, there are strengths and weaknesses here. For me, Alfie Boe was miles better than most Valjeans I have heard, but Nick Jonas was weak as Marius. Yes, Philip Quast was the best Javert imo, but Norm Lewis wasn't bad. I thought Matt Lucas was great and it was wonderful to see Lea Salonga in the more mature role of Fantine after all these years. She still has a terrific voice. As for the DVD, it was more of a show than the 10th anniversary which was more concert in feel. All principles were in costume and there was more acting. The Valjean quartet at the end was wonderful. My only real niggle with this is that there was no information about the production and who was playing who, some of these names mean nothing to me and I wish I knew who they were - for example the person who played Enjolras was very good, but got no idea who he is from the DVD. Everyone will have their favourite versions of the show and their favourite actors in the roles. It rarely means one version is better or worse than another, just different.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2010 6:12 PM GMT

HTC Wildfire Sim Free Mobile  Phone - Metal Mocha
HTC Wildfire Sim Free Mobile Phone - Metal Mocha
Offered by GSM-Fonz (We are taking orders of Apple iphone 6 and 6 Plus)

2.0 out of 5 stars Such high hopes, 13 Nov 2010
I am not a complete technophobe, but I found this phone SO frustrating! I bought it because of the great reviews here and elsewhere. But in reality it was not for me. I could not get it to connect with Google to set up an account, or any pop3 accounts, could not get the top-up card registered, everything I put in was invalid. The screen/keyboard was so sentitive! No manual, just a quick start guide that told very little. I guess it's back to a querty keyboard for me, just couldn't manage this.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13