Profile for lizzie > Reviews

Content by lizzie

lizzie (north of north)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15
Chariots of Fire (30th Anniversary Limited Edition) [Blu-ray] [1981] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Ben Cross

5.0 out of 5 stars BluRay does the job!, 18 July 2012
The film itself, Chariots of Fire, is an excellent film, as has been mentioned numerous times here. This BluRay version is new, only released in mid July 2012, and is a vast improvement from the old DVD transfer. The picture and sound are excellent. Most of the reviews here are old ones not of the new BluRay version, so check the review date to make sure you are looking at a review of the new release.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 6, 2012 2:44 PM BST

Dyson Digital Slim DC35 Multi Floor Lightweight Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
Dyson Digital Slim DC35 Multi Floor Lightweight Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
Offered by euroelectricals

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment, 14 Jun. 2012
I wanted to love this, I really did! But it was the little things that got to me in the end. Charged fine and was easy to assemble. I was concerned that it looked like a crack in the dirt collection cylinder - couldn't feel it on the outside, but did on the inside. Could also be a manfuacturing mark. What I didn't know was that the cylinder was sooo small! And the big thing for me was that with arthritis in my hands it was very difficult to use because you have to hold down the trigger button to make it work. The slower speed gave about 12 minutes on a charge and didn't pick up much. Used the max or turbo button and it picked up things better, but only lasted about 5 minutes. It is OK, should be better for this price, but for me the trigger was the deal breaker - my hand just couldn't do it.

Kindle Touch, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Touch Screen Display
Kindle Touch, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Touch Screen Display

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, but..., 25 April 2012
I bought the new Touch to replace my old Keyboard 3, thinking that it would be so much better. I am sure that in many ways it is. The print is as Kindle has always been; bright, clear and sharp. It is lighter and smaller than the old KK3, though some of that lightness will go when a case is put on it - especially if you need a light. The build quality is good, I liked the feel of the back, not just smooth, but a bit of grip. I appreciated that the USB cable was a good length, so many products have cables that are too short. I found the keyboard easy to use and the menu system was very much the same as my old version, so no problems there. I was afraid a touch screen would get dirty with fingerprints and make the whole thing hard to read, but no, it was great. Downloading books was a breeze as well. I found the page turning sluggish and often had to tap or swipe more than once to get it to work. My main disappointment with this new Touch is the ghosting on the screen. Even using the page refresh setting so it refreshed each page turn, I was still getting ghosting. It is very distracting. I have decided to return my Touch and wait for an updated version with some of the little niggles sorted out. It has great potential and the selection of books is the best. I just wish it was a bit farther down the line in development.
UPDATE: my Touch was faulty and Amazon has replaced it. No ghosting on this one, even on 6 page refresh, and the page turn is nice and fast now. So, I have changed rating to reflect this.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2012 7:06 PM BST

Unmasked
Unmasked

5.0 out of 5 stars Great songs, Great voice!, 16 April 2012
This review is from: Unmasked (Audio CD)
Having bought JOJ's second album and loving the selection I was ready for this new album. The vocals and arrangements are lovely, with some highlighting his wonderful voice with just accoustic guitar. The song selection is great because it isn't all from the shows. John's voice is terrific with wonderful tone and tremendous power - and what a range! Be sure to keep listening after the last song for a surprise...with a delightful Welsh accent! I hope, however, that his next album will get away from the West End a bit. With his fantastic voice he could sing so many different types of music brilliantly and I would love to hear more!

Love Never Dies [DVD]
Love Never Dies [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Lewis
Offered by b68solutions

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, could be worse, 23 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Love Never Dies [DVD] (DVD)
I have to admit that I didn't think this show was as bad as I thought it might be. Sequels are always dangerous because the audience has developed the characters themselves and are easily disappointed that the author's development of the story isn't what they would have done. The musical performances were very good, the costumes and dance and sound all good. I wish that there had been more wide shots so I could see the whole stage and more of the set, to get more of the feel of Coney Island. The music was more developed than Phantom and of a different style. It is interesting that the two big numbers, Love Never Dies and Till I Hear You Sing, as the romantic, lush pieces that filled POTO. The other music will not leave you humming, but it does stick in your brain in snatches. I admit that for me the big stumbling block was the whole premise of the child, which I found far fetched as a sequel, but that is my opinion on the characters. As a show it was good, but it isn't the mega musical that the original is and it will not run forever - but it would be nice to see it revived. As a DVD/BluRay it was well done and is a great opportunity for many, like me, who never got to see the show live to enjoy the experience.

Proporta Impact Protective Crystal Case Cover for 6G iPod classic (80GB / 120GB / 160GB) with Lifetime Warranty

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit confusing, but it works, 26 Feb. 2012
This case has a nice feel about it on the back and the front is clear so you can see the ipod. It snaps together so you know it is secure. There is no cover on the click wheel, but the edges are bevelled, so it has a nice feel. All the openings are in the right places. The confusing bit is that the package says it is for the Apple iPod Classic 2G. Nowhere is mentioned 6G or the 80/120/160gb in the listing here. I was reluctant to take it out of the packaging if it was wrong and the answer I got from the vendor was confusing, so I did just open it in the end and it fits my 7G iPod perfectly. The other little niggle is that I wish the back were a little bit more textured so it would be more non-slip. On the whole a good case!

iGadgitz Silicone Skin Case Cover with Screen Protector, Lanyard for Apple iPod Classic  80GB, 120GB & 160gb launched Sept 09 - Blue
iGadgitz Silicone Skin Case Cover with Screen Protector, Lanyard for Apple iPod Classic 80GB, 120GB & 160gb launched Sept 09 - Blue
Offered by iGadgitz

2.0 out of 5 stars I am picky, 24 Feb. 2012
I have been looking for a good case/skin for my IPod and have yet to find the perfect one. I like the idea that this is silicone, feels great and is non-slip. Why have a cover over the click-wheel and not the screen? Why have two open bits at the back? I know they are for putting on a belt, but if you're not doing that then you get two bits of the back of your IPod scratched. Why open at the bottom? OK you have to get the thing on somewhow, but the whole bottom being open again means scratches near the docking port. I accidentally ordered this and another that seemed similar, they were the same but one was £5 and the other £2. The £2 is more suitable.

Sonos PLAY:3 White - The Wireless Hi-Fi
Sonos PLAY:3 White - The Wireless Hi-Fi

5.0 out of 5 stars Addicted!, 1 Jan. 2012
I put off buying into this system because I was afraid my wireless wasn't good enough, bigish house with thick stone walls over 3 floors. I finally gave it a try with the Play 5 and Bridge. No problems! I discovered that while the system needs the broadband it forms its own network within the house. No droppages at all! I then added on a Play 3 in the kitchen, same great sound. Lastly, thanks to Amazon's Warehouse Deals, I added another Play 3 in my home office. This is so simple to connect and sync the music library. I signed up for Spotify as well and am amazed at the quality of sound and the ease of use. Even the Play 3 is a weighty piece of equipment, the build quality is super. I find the Ipad app works perfectly well controlling them all. What a discovery, I feel like I have jumped into the 21st century with all this tech! It's not cheap, but look around for things like Warehouse Deals, it helps. My only teeny niggle is that it is designed to be "always on". It's not the power consumption that bothers me much, it's minimal. I just don't keep things switched on when I'm not around. Just me being an old foggey I guess.

Sonos Wireless Music Controller 200
Sonos Wireless Music Controller 200

3.0 out of 5 stars Great potential, but flawed, 22 Dec. 2011
I received this with my new Sonos system and was very excited! It is very easy to set up and the touch screen and controls easy to work. Unfortunately, the unit I received would not charge, nor would it go into sleep mode. Sonos support was a great help, but couldn't solve the problem. I have sent it back and will use my Ipad app, it will give me time to expand my system and decide whether or not the Controller is really a "must have". I can see its potential, but it seems lots of people in the comments (rather than reviews) have had problems with it.

Philips Sonicare HX9332/04 DiamondClean Rechargeable Toothbrush White
Philips Sonicare HX9332/04 DiamondClean Rechargeable Toothbrush White
Offered by Alex Shanks Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars I WAS going to send this back..., 28 Nov. 2011
I bought this in the Black Friday sale. I admit I thought about it and talked myself out of it after I pressed the button, after all even at the BF price it was alot for a toothbrush. TBH there is no way I would pay the regular price for this! I have had sonic toothbrushes before, but the cleanning on this one is the best I have had. I also loved the charger, a glass! It just sits in the glass and is charged. And a travel case is included, which also charges the unit, by USB! or a 2 pin shaver plug. You can also use an adaptor to charge from the mains, which is not included. At the start, for the first 14 bushes, it gradually ramps up the speed, which is great. The 5 speeds vary in time and the instruction book is great for those new to this. It IS pricey, I WAS going to send it back, BUT I just like it too much!

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15