Profile for Sarah Dawson > Reviews

Content by Sarah Dawson

Sarah Dawson "Saz" (London)

Splendors and Miseries of the Brain: Love, Creativity and the Quest for Human Happiness
by Semir Zeki

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 26 Sept. 2009
ANyone who wants to understand how their brain tricks them into chasing things that they will ultimately find unfulfilling, so that's every human being alive then, should read this book. I'm not sure how good the neuroscience stuff is, I'm not hot on that subject, but it's definfitely one of the books I've read recently that changed the way I think about how I think. Absolutely riveting.

The Spoilt Generation: Why Restoring Authority Will Make Our Children and Society Happier
by Dr Aric Sigman

4.0 out of 5 stars jumbled but an important message, 26 Sept. 2009
It took me a while to navigate through the opening, I wasn't entirely sure of the premise. Presumably the title 'spoiled' is designed to entice then Dail Heil readers who will enjoy a book that moans about spoiled kids, but Dr Sigman doesn't mean that kind of spoiled. It's about neglected kids being spoiled to make up for bad parenting, I think. Having said that, once I'd got into it I found a lot of common sense. He'll get hammered for saying mothers belong at home though. I heard him on the radio once explaining how childcare for the under threes is damaging to them. The interviewer pointed out this statement was unfair to hard working parents and he exploded, 'but the purpose of this study is about what's good for children, not sating the guilt of absent parents!' or words to that effect. I like him and I liked this book.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2010 8:07 PM GMT

Sum: Tales from the Afterlives
Sum: Tales from the Afterlives
by David Eagleman

3.0 out of 5 stars hmm, 26 Sept. 2009
I bought this because everyone was raving about it and the premise is truly amazing, but it's too repetitive if you ask me, and it's not very long. It's one of those 'big idea' books where the idea dwarfs the content. Not sure I'd go along with all the hype.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 24, 2010 11:59 PM BST

Flashman (The Flashman Papers)
Flashman (The Flashman Papers)
by George MacDonald Fraser

5.0 out of 5 stars class, 26 Sept. 2009
I got the first one of these one Christmas and by the next CHristmas I'd bought and loved them all. Fraser is the greatest historical storyteller I've ever come across.

QI: Advanced Banter
QI: Advanced Banter
by Stephen Fry

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 26 Sept. 2009
This review is from: QI: Advanced Banter (Hardcover)
What can you say, these guys are on to something much bigger than a TV gameshow. The stuff of life is oozing from the covers. It's the only book of quotations I could ever imagine buying.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2009 11:13 AM BST