ARRAY(0xa845ea08)

Valtari
Valtari
Price: 8.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe my expectations were too high., 6 Jun 2012
This review is from: Valtari (Audio CD)
I'll state from the start that I am a fan. A big one. I am a Sigur Ros fan, a Jonsi fan, a Riceboy Sleeps fan. I've seen Sigur Ros live, and Jonsi live.

I assumed this would be a five star review before I'd even listened to the album but it's not.
This is half a great album. The first four tracks, particularly track three 'Varú' which gets me right in the chest. After track four, I could take or leave the album.

For those who thought Me Su Í Eyrum Vi Spilum Endalaust was too 'poppy' (I didn't, as it goes, I thought it was a nice change of pace; I don't want to listen to the same thing on every album) and not enough like their other albums, this is more a return to form but it doesn't hit the high points of (), Ágtis Byrjun and, for my money, Takk.

I will listen to Valtari but I doubt I'll set the album on repeat as I have done with all other Sigur Ros offerings in the past. I'm much more likely to cherry pick the best songs and skip over the rest.

I would probably give this three and a half stars if I could but 'Varú' along with my love and loyalty will knock it up to four rather than down to three.

Versailles
Versailles
by Valrie Bajou-Charpentreau
Price: 16.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A welcome addition to my bookshelf, 12 May 2012
This review is from: Versailles (Hardcover)
I bought this after reading a review of it in Lonely Planet magazine.

I have visited Versailles four times and, whenever I go somewhere like that, I like to buy a book or at least a guide book to take home with me. With Versailles, I have always been disappointed on that front. The last time I went, I bought nothing. The time before that I had to walk down to the Tourist Information Centre in town to get a decent guidebook.

This one is what they should be selling. I can't believe I bought it on Amazon for 12.99. If this had been in the gift shop in Versailles I would have paid about 35 Euros without a second thought.

The binding is a bit strange. It's hardback on the front and back but not the spine. The paper is good quality and the amount of photos you get for your money is brilliant. It's photo-heavy. If you want something with more text and information I would look elsewhere.

It's not perfect. For me, there isn't enough focus on the gardens and the two Trianon palaces. The quality of the photographs is not as good for the gardens and the only picture of my favourite fountain (Enceladus) is so pointless it shouldn't be in there.

Overall, though, and for the money, I'm really glad I've got this. Now, if they could make a similar one about Vaux-le-Vicomte or Chambord, I'd be really happy.

Silk - Series 1 [DVD]
Silk - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Maxine Peake
Price: 7.82

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, could be great, 24 April 2012
This review is from: Silk - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I'm having a bit of a legal/courtroom drama splurge at the moment and stumbled across Silk for about a fiver. I knew Maxine Peake to be a wonderful actress so I thought I'd give it a go.

It's an easy watch - perhaps more simplistic than its creators intended. The acting is of a good standard all round but some of the characters are a bit one-dimensional. I think I would have preferred if they had made the episodes longer - an hour and a half like Wallander - and been able to give the plots a bit more time to develop and the chance to put a bit of flesh on the bones of the stories.

I'm sure it's not a completely accurate representation of the business of law, and I think Maxine Peake's talents are slightly wasted on a series which could be brilliant. Nevertheless, it is an enjoyable watch and I'll probably stick the next series on the Sky+ when it's on.

Thyroid Disorders (Understanding) (Family Doctor Books)
Thyroid Disorders (Understanding) (Family Doctor Books)
by Anthony Toft
Price: 3.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Good starting point and handy reference, 24 April 2012
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about eight years ago and, at the time, bought a couple of books about the condition. Both were incredibly patronising (particularly, and I hate to be stereotypical, the American one). Neither contained anywhere near the amount of information I wanted despite being at least three times as long as this book.

As I said, I have been dealing with hypothyroidism for a long time and, unfortunately, in the last year or so developed complications which have sent me back to the drawing board as it were. It was this change in my health that prompted me to look for a new book to keep handy. After all, some of my symptoms mean my memory and concentration aren't brilliant at the moment so a pocket sized book like this seemed to have its uses. It has a simple layout, not too wordy, not crammed with unnecessary information.

For me, this is a good book for double-checking odd bits and pieces but for someone who has been newly diagnosed with either and under- or overactive thyroid, I think it could be incredibly helpful in the early stages of managing your condition.

I certainly wish I'd known about it eight years ago.

Go
Go
Offered by westworld-
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerising, 20 Sep 2010
This review is from: Go (Audio CD)
Firstly, I am a massive Sigur Ros fan and, though this is what led me to find out about Jonsi's solo album, it is not what made me buy it and not why I love it so much. Those people who say things like 'not quite Sigur Ros', frankly, irritate me. Why is the comparison necessary? I imagine if Jonsi wanted to make music similar to Sigur Ros, he wouldn't have gone off to do this solo album. This is an irritation which also occurs when I read reviews of Kele (Okereke, singer of Bloc Party)'s solo album. It's meant to be different! Just as Jonsi is different to Riceboy Sleeps (Jonsi's collaboration with his partner, Alex Somers), Riceboy Sleeps is different to Sigur Ros and Jonsi is different to Sigur Ros.
I saw Jonsi on tour last week and it was one of the best, if not the best, show I have been to. The amount of effort he puts into his music, performance and show is absolutely immense. I have had a massive grin on my face from the moment he came on the stage to now.
For the reviewer "laughingdog", even if you don't like the album, I really cannot understand how anyone can call this music shallow.
If you like Sigur Ros, give this a go.
If you don't know or like Sigur Ros, give this a go.
Most importantly, if you enjoy music with heart and depth which makes you physically feel something, please, give Jonsi a listen.

DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: France
DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: France
by Robin Gauldie
Edition: Vinyl Bound

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost a great travel guide, 14 Jan 2010
In general I like the Eyewitness Guides. They are well-presented and of a very good quality. However, considering the guide is intended as a guide to France as a whole, it could stand to be a bit larger.
It manages to include a huge amount of sights and attractions but doesn't give particularly detailed information for most. The Rough Guides are slightly more detailed though, arguably, not as user friendly. The Eyewitness Guide to France is a very good starting place for an overview of the country. Perhaps the lack of detail isn't a negative. After all, part of the fun of travel is finding things by yourself. If you can see and read everything about a place in a book, it takes something away from the actual visit.
Overall, I would recommend this as a guide to France but it is by no means the definitive one.

Love and Louis XIV: The Women in the Life of the Sun King
Love and Louis XIV: The Women in the Life of the Sun King
by Antonia Fraser
Price: 8.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and informative insight to a complicated man, 14 Jan 2010
This is the first Antonia Fraser book I have read and I am thoroughly impressed. She has a very readable style and manages to get a lot of information in without sounding dry as can happen with non-fiction.
With a quick overview it would be easy to dismiss Louis XIV as a womaniser - especially by today's standards - but this book gives a clearer picture of the man, who seemed to genuinely love women as friends, relatives and companions as well as lovers. In the context of the time, where most aristocratic marriages were arranged for reasons other than love and royal marriages particularly were mostly arranged for political motives, Louis XIV was merely honest about his intentions with each of the women in his life. By the standards of the day, I'd say he was quite a modern man.
Though the title suggests the book is only about the romantic side of Louis' life, it actually gives a very broad view of France - and Europe to an extent - and its people at the time. Louis' life plays out against a backdrop of wars in Europe, poverty amongst his own people and the growing splendour of the Palace of Versailles and the book pays attention to all these things and more.
Wonderful book about an intriguing subject, rekindling my interest in the history of Europe and the aristocracy. I would thoroughly recommend to anyone.

1001 Books: You Must Read Before You Die (1001 Must Before You Die)
1001 Books: You Must Read Before You Die (1001 Must Before You Die)
by Peter Boxall

5.0 out of 5 stars Temptation in paper form, 21 Sep 2008
I asked for this as a Christmas gift along with several other books and spent the entire day with my nose in this one.
It provides a surprising amount of information for each entry and is enjoyable to read in and of itself.
I don't know if I should be ashamed of all the books in it I haven't read but, also, I was pleased to see some of my favourite books are included.
This book does have one major flaw, however: You'll spend more time reading this than actual novels! My copy is covered in Post-It strips of all the books I intend to buy and read.
A great item for anyone with even the vaguest interest in books and reading.