Profile for Bookworm > Reviews

Bookworm "Bookworm" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad design, 26 Feb. 2011
This was recommended by numerous people. I looked at the picture and had doubts. Razor arrived - doubts confirmed.
Whoever designed this has never used a razor, or looked at old safety razors.
What you want of the handle is that you can grip it securely when your hands are wet and slippery with soap. Since the invention of the safety razor I doubt you will find one with a smooth handle. This handle is the smoothest most highly polished piece of metalwork I have ever see - it is slippery even when dry!
Very sharp blade, handle which can't be gripped securely, tender face.....I put it in the bin unused.
A mad piece of design-work.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2013 9:58 PM GMT

Moanin' at Midnight: The Life and Times of Howlin' Wolf
Moanin' at Midnight: The Life and Times of Howlin' Wolf
by James Segrest

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well written biography., 30 April 2009
I fully agree with the other reviews.
As a youth in the 60's I listened to a lot of the old blues men, but over the years I moved away musically. My interest was renewed when I saw old film clips of Wolf in action, listening to a record is only half of the performance.
The amount of detail in this book is astonishing. It creates a vivid picture of the life of a country blues man before the Second War. Reading the details of life in the Southern USA is alarming (even though we already know all about it). Little wonder that men like Wolf could sing 'the blues' whilst so many blues-men today are going through the motions.
This book is extremely well researched, and very well written. It is essential for anyone who has even the slightest interest in the roots of pop, rock & roll, soul, rap.
What a character Wolf was, they don't make them like that anymore!

WAR
WAR
by Ludwig Renn

4.0 out of 5 stars Forgotten classic, 29 Mar. 2009
This review is from: WAR (Paperback)
Ludwig Renn's (pen-name) book is a novel telling the experiences of an NCO on the Western Front from 1914 through to 1918.

Although the book is written as a novel it is clearly autobiographical. Check 'Renn's' details and you find that he was an officer on the Western Front for four years. It's not clear why he wrote it as a novel from the point of view of an NCO rather than as a straight memoir of an officer. Memoirs may be 'spiced up' somewhat anyway. It's very clear from the small details he describes that it is based on his experiences. 'War' was published some years after Junger's 'Storm of steel', it is similar and perhaps Renn was inspired by Junger's book.

After I had read a little way I nearly stopped. The writing style is a bit jagged in places. Thankfully I persevered and it is clear that the main problem is failings in the translation. Perhaps as I got further in I adjusted to the style. What I discovered was a book in the same class as Junger's 'Storm of Steel'. Junger rewrote his book numerous times to 'improve' it and went on to become a well-regarded writer, and thankfully there has been a very good new translation of his book. Although 'War' would benefit from some minor editing and a better translation it is well worth reading and stands as a forgotten classic. Strongly recommended in order to get the view of the front-line experiences from the German side.

It is odd how 'All quiet on the western front' is regarded as the only German book, particularly since I have seen English veterans openly doubt that Remarque was ever in the front line.

Death's Men: Soldiers of the Great War (Penguin history)
Death's Men: Soldiers of the Great War (Penguin history)
by Denis Winter

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding., 20 Feb. 2009
This book, like 'Tommy' by R. Holmes, aims to reveal what it was like for the ordinary fighting man involved in the Great War. Most memoirs were written by Officers, so this is an illuminating book. I found it far more succinct and revealing than the Holmes book. Whilst a good deal of the book draws on previously published material, there is also material from new interviews with survivors. If you are widely read on this subject you will find sections which you have read elsewhere, but there will certainly be many new gems in here. I found this book priceless for it's description of the emotional roller-coaster ride from standing in the trench to going over the top, something I have not seen elsewhere. There are some extraordinarily interesting photographs. An absolutely essential read. This is another book I bought after reading a library copy.

Wyatt Earp: The Life Behind the Legend (History)
Wyatt Earp: The Life Behind the Legend (History)
by Casey Tefertiller

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant piece of work., 8 Jan. 2009
This is an outstanding book on so many different levels. So good that I bought it after I read a library copy!
All those old cowboy films they used to show on the TV--- this is what it was all about. A very short period of time in the 'Wild West'. It makes a really exciting read if you just want to read a good story. But there is far more to it.
Earp was, and remains, a very controversial figure. Was he a good guy standing up to the criminals on his own, or was he a thuggish bent cop? If there was a lot of crime in Tombstone why didn't the citizens stand up against it and why were there so many corrupt local businessmen ready to make money from the bad guys. Were they bad guys, or was Earp the problem? Why didn't the Government act? Did Earp become a lawless rampaging vengeful murderer, or was he doing something that needed to be done but the authorities would not act. Why was Tombstone so divided in opinion? There are a lot of questions in this book that relate to criminality today. He was the Dirty Harry of his day!
Even more interesting to think that my grandfather might have read about the shootout at the OK Corral in the newspaper when he was a kid! This is real history. Fascinating photos, and information on the enigmatic Doc Holliday.
Generally I don't like the American way of telling history, but this is a really well written book. Do I convey enthusiasm?!
Two films on Earp were made based on this book, as usual Hollywood messed with the story. Earp was present in Hollywood when some of the early Westerns were made. John Wayne met him and based his image on Earp.
Worth more than 5 stars!

Her Privates We
Her Privates We
by Frederic Manning

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, 8 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Her Privates We (Paperback)
Yes it is a novel, as is 'All quiet on the western front', but it gives a great sense of what it was like for the ordinary soldiers. Most WWI memoirs were written by officers, and that gives them a very different point of view. The overall feel is very similar to 'All quiet..', but I find this a better read and I am surprised that it is not more famous than 'All quiet...'.
This book was quoted by a number of Great War veterans as being the best description of what it was like. In contrast, numbers of British veterans openly expressed doubts that Remarque was ever at the front -Wikipedia will give you some clues.
This is an essential read for anybody interested in WWI.

Doc Holliday: The Life and Legend
Doc Holliday: The Life and Legend
by Gary L. Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars Too long!, 8 Jan. 2009
Another vote for 'far too long'. This book would benefit from some serious editing.
The simple fact about Doc Holliday is that very little is known about him and his life. Repetition and waffle made it a very tiresome read, I felt that I was going in circles. A pity, because editing would make it very interesting!

The Forgotten Soldier
The Forgotten Soldier
by Guy Sajer

1.0 out of 5 stars Doubter........., 4 Nov. 2008
This review is from: The Forgotten Soldier (Hardcover)
This book just demonstrates that you can get any opinion you want on the internet.
Having read many WWI books I noted someone stating that this book was much better than Ernst Junger's 'Storm of Steel'.
I could not get a quarter of the way through this book. Having bought it I really did my best. As soon as I started, it did not feel right. When I see a memoir full of dialogue I immediately get suspicious. I could not get anything out of this book. I feel really annoyed by it. It is almost unknown for me not to finish a book. I could list any number of good war memoirs. This wasn't even good as a novel. I found it terrible, and I am astonished that it has ever been so highly rated, and surprised that it's authenticity has only recently been questioned.
A complete waste of time and money!!!
Wikipedia leads to articles on the matter.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 12, 2012 11:04 PM GMT

The German Army at Passchendaele
The German Army at Passchendaele
by Jack Sheldon

4.0 out of 5 stars Seen from the other side, 3 Oct. 2008
I have to agree with T.J Denman's review to some extent, though I had no illusions as to the source of the material. The reading can be rather heavy going, and it does seem a little stilted. However it is fascinating to read what was going on on the other side of No-man's-land. There is so much from the English point of view that your thoughts can become very lopsided. To get the full picture you really need to read what it was like from the other side, and there are relatively few books telling that. Well worth reading.

The Somme (Cassell Military Paperbacks)
The Somme (Cassell Military Paperbacks)
by Peter Hart

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally moving and well written, 3 Oct. 2008
This is an exceptional book. Very well written, and particularly moving because it is full of accounts of men who were there. The only downside is that it doesn't have sufficient maps and photographs. So if you combine this book with the outstanding one by Peter Barton with it's stunning photographs you really have everything you could want. An excellent piece of work, and easy to read. I bought it after I had read a library copy!

Page: 1 | 2