Profile for DoYouHaveItInGreen > Reviews

Animal Playground
Animal Playground
Price: 12.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!, 14 Aug 2013
This review is from: Animal Playground (Audio CD)
Bought as a birthday present for an animal loving 3 year old so I haven't heard it, but I gather it has been very popular and that the music is really wonderful.

Thomas & Friends: All Star Tracks
Thomas & Friends: All Star Tracks
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 10.16

3.0 out of 5 stars I hate it, my son loves it! So I wish there was a 2 and a half stars rating., 14 Aug 2013
This is a case of what do I dislike more: My son getting bored in the back and distracting me from driving by letting me know loudly just how bored he is and asking when we will be there yet every 100yards? OR, have complete peace and happiness from the back seat and put up with the sound of 50 saccharin stage school choir kids whining at me from the CD player? Tricky one.
To be fair, some of the tracks are pretty good. They are up tempo, and different songs some of which, if you have a Thomas fan in your house, you'll recognise from the Thomas films and TV series. In the middle of the CD however is, what I can only describe as the "filler" songs. The same droning ballad which has been very slightly reworked each time in order include the name of a different character from the series, sung by children whose 1940's newsreader queens english diction has clearly been trained in to them at great expense to their parents by some elite stage school in the home counties. The lyrics of the filler songs are all nauseatingly P.C. Think along the lines of whole verses about how "patience is a virtue" and how generally proud and smug you'll be if you do your work diligently, and just as Sir Topham Hatt has taught you. Which I can just about put up with. Once. But there are probably 6 songs worth of it. Great. If you like that sort of thing. Personally it makes me want to vomit out of the car window! So, as with a lot of albums, there are a few fabulous songs which carry it through and a few more which have been added to make the number of songs on the playlist appear good value. Which it isn't. It is 3 times the price of most other TV show songs compilations.

However, I guess it probably doesn't matter what I think. My 3 year old can't get enough of it and on a long car journey, any port in a storm...or any garage in a breakdown...or something...;-)

WeeRide Deluxe Balance Bike Kids Balance Bike - Silver, 14-inch
WeeRide Deluxe Balance Bike Kids Balance Bike - Silver, 14-inch
Price: 69.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for taller children 3.5 years plus., 14 Aug 2013
I wanted a balance bike for my tall 3 year old but having seen him try a few friends balance bikes (for 18months/2years size) I felt he was too tall for that size and would get very little time on it before outgrowing it. So we got this. It is very well made and didnt take me long to put together from the box. However, it is definitely sized for the slightly older child. It is quite a bit bigger than the ones for 2 year olds. My son wasnt able to ride it right away as he was onthe balls of his feet or tippy toes and leaning the bike to get his foot down on one side, which is no good at all as the idea of a balance bike is to instill confidence in the childs own centre of gravity. So, we put it away for a few months (much to his disgust!). He has now just about reached the height where he can sit down on the saddle and confidently push along with the balls of his feet and almost the whole sole of his foot. For reference for other parents wondering if their child will be the right height for this size of bike, my son has just about reached the 1st stage of being able to ride and is 107cm tall and has an inside leg of approx 43cm. A bit tricky to measure with him desperate to leap off and play but this should give a guide, hopefully! Should last him a good while as the seat and handles are on their lowest settings.

Update May 2014: My son is now 4 and a half and 115cm tall. We've adjusted the handlebars up a bit but he was comfortable with the seat on it's lowest setting so have not adjusted that. Both are easy to do. He now rides with total confidence and great balance and is ready for peddles. The bike has been great and still looks like new. Hopefully will do just as good service to the next child too.

Collapsible Washing-Up Bowls with Grey Rim - Green
Collapsible Washing-Up Bowls with Grey Rim - Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking for Outwell Collaps Bowl? Don't pay Outwell prices, this one is the same!, 14 Aug 2013
We went in to a camping shop and saw an Outwell Collaps Bowl (Why did they leave the "e" off the end?!) and thought "What a great idea, but we aren't paying that for a washing up bowl!" (17.99). Found this one for 7.41 and it is exactly the same! Perfect for saving space on our camping trips and what a bargain!

Cybex Solution X2-FIX 2013 car seat group 2 and 3 Heavenly Blue ISOFIX
Cybex Solution X2-FIX 2013 car seat group 2 and 3 Heavenly Blue ISOFIX
Offered by La Nuova Culla del Bimbo
Price: 211.76

5.0 out of 5 stars After months of research, the best and safest I could find. Don't overlook this for a UK based "Big Brand", 12 Aug 2013
I am a parent with a specific interest in vehicle safety and car seat restraints for children. Over the years, the hours of research and in depth questioning of seat retailers and manufacturers to generate reports for parenting groups on car seat safety probably counts into the hundreds. As a result, my own son has been in a Britax extended rear facing seat until he recently outgrew it (for height before weight) at age 3 and a half. Turning him forward facing and putting him into a 3 point belt from a 5 point harness felt like the single biggest risk I have taken with his safety from the moment he was born. So, I need not tell you how much effort went in to researching the right seat to buy for group 2/3. I was just so unwilling to compromise on any aspect of his safety and while my research did show that many seat manufacturers have come very close to perfection with certain aspects of their seats (Britax XP SICT for low loads on the neck in a frontal impact but poor submarining potential, Britax Xtensafix for extended 5 point belting but poor height adjustment options, Kiddy Cruiserfix pro for adjustability but difficult installation, many US designs for the addition of an anti-submarining clip between the childs legs...etc) there is simply no such thing as "the perfect" seat. There are too many variables in terms of user, vehicle and price (although I did not consider price and went for safety above all else). I was convinced I'd end up with a Britax or a commonly big UK name in seat safety, but I was wrong. We got this.

Cybex are not a common name in car seats in the UK with Britax, Maxi Cosi, Recaro, Kiddy and others all having household name status. But Cybex deserves to be a name we all consider in the future both in this group and in lower groups with innovation at every stage. It is German engineering put to the best use and they have put a LOT in to this seat. It shows. Top marks for a child seat ever awarded by the ADAC (the German AA equivalent) whose crash testing is both more realistic (using a car shell mock up, not just a bench seat on a sled run) and exceeds the speeds and direction of impact tests required by the UKs own test standards by some way. The OAMTC (German RAC equivalent) were unable to site any weaknesses for the seat either. This seat was one of only a handful of group 2/3's to be awarded Which? Best Buy status and for good reason as far as I can see.
For those of you who do not have a Which? Subscription, here is their verdict and I've added my feedback in []:
"SAFETY:
When secured using the Isofix mounts, the Solution X2-Fix offers very good, four star protection in front crashes and excellent, five star protection in side impacts, for both Isofix and belted installations.

FITTING and USE:
It is very easy to install in the vehicle, with clear instructions and warning labels and well-designed belt routing. [Yes, it is instinctive and we liked the audible "click" and visual green indicators to show we'd installed correctly.] Once installed it is stable in the car, it is really easy to adjust, although it's tall back means you are likely to need to remove the car's head restraints to ensure it fits squarely onto the seat. [I think this would be true for once my son gets slightly taller, but I don't see that as a problem.]

It has good padding and offers excellent head- and leg-support. However, the large wings on the head support restrict the child's view from the car. [I think this is a very subjective statement. My son has no problems at all seeing all round without having to pull his head forward out of the "winged" area]. The seat is very light and finished to a high standard. The cover is easily removed and machine-washable.

The seat is quite wide, meaning it takes a lot of space up in the car, which could present problems if you need to carry several child car seats in the car. [The side impact protection pad only needs to be installed on the side nearest the door, which Which? did not seem to take into account.] Despite its large external dimensions, the space for the child is quite narrow - something that may present an issue as your child grows." [I would say this is something that would depend very much on the build of your child. Ours is quite slim and will probably remain so, but it is worth bearing in mind that as the head restraint lifts upwards with the childs shoulders, their widest part (the shoulders) will move above the fixed side impact area of the seat, automatically offering more room at the sides so I personally didn't feel this was a concern, but that could change as time passes of course.]

Pros: Really easy to use, light weight, low loads in a front and very low loads in our side crash, good belt routing, excellent head support, good leg support, excellent padding, easy to clean, good finish quality. [Agree with all of this].

Cons: Takes up a lot of space in the car [No more than others in this group that we tested in our car which may start out narrower but tended to be models which widened with the childs upward growth so would actually end up wider than this in the long term], quite restricted width for the child [Subjective, depends on the build of your child], limited view out of the car for the child [Not confirmed by our sons feedback].

One thing I must mention is that lots of parents whose 3/4 year olds still tend to fall asleep in the car will look for a seat which offers a recline function to prevent the child lolling forwards when asleep. It is a good intent, BUT PLEASE be aware that if you recline or angle the child, they run a much higher risk of something called "submarining" during an impact. This is where the childs legs and pelvis are thrown forwards and under the lap part of the 3 point belt in an impact resulting in sometimes fatal or long term life limiting injuries to the internal organs of the pelvis. Sadly, market forces mean that many group 2/3 seats DO offer a slight recline for the child despite this poorly publicised risks. But, Cybex have come up with a really great solution. They offer a tilt recline for the *head only*. I was sceptical if such a small angle would enable my son to sleep without his head tipping forward but it really does work! After a week of use, today he asked me: "After lunch Mummy, will you take me for a little drive? I am soooo tired." I need no further evidence of the comfort of this seat. It is a winner all round for us.
For information, we drive a 2008 Freelander 2 which is fitted with curtain airbags. The Cybex is approved for use in this car on either side of the back seat with isofix. For a complete list of compatible cars, see the Cybex website.

For those wishing to try something similar if this is not a good fit in your car or for your child, the Kiddy Cruiserfix Pro Isofix came a close second for us.

We purchased the black colour, but I'm going to post this same review under the other colours as I don't think the colour really makes any difference to the product performance!

Cybex Solution X2-FIX 2013 car seat group 2 and 3 Rocky Mountain grey ISOFIX

Price: 184.00

Cybex Solution X2-FIX 2013 car seat group 2 and 3 Poppy Red ISOFIX
Cybex Solution X2-FIX 2013 car seat group 2 and 3 Poppy Red ISOFIX

FITTING and USE:

Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2014 9:07 PM BST

Cybex Solution X2-FIX 2013 car seat group 2 and 3 Graffiti Green ISOFIX
Cybex Solution X2-FIX 2013 car seat group 2 and 3 Graffiti Green ISOFIX
Offered by TCF Trading
Price: 184.00

5.0 out of 5 stars After months of research, the best and safest I could find. Don't overlook this for a UK based "Big Brand", 11 Aug 2013

Cybex Solution X2-FIX 2013 car seat group 2 and 3 Natural Khaki ISOFIX