Profile for Hillsman > Reviews

Content by Hillsman

Hillsman (Belfast, N. Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
History Of The Future Part 2
History Of The Future Part 2

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Ensemble of Post-Golden Era Output, 23 July 2015
5-Star Reviews? Seriously?! I could understand a 4-star review for the 4-disc deluxe package as with that, you are getting the DVD and 2 CDs full of very good music. The first disc is, in my opinion anyway, pretty terrible with only one decent track on there (Apple Tree) - and even that is fairly derivative of Little Fluffy Clouds.

Oh No! Another Troll review I hear ye cry? Well, there are 19 Orb albums, of which I own 15. Then there are the various compilations and bootlegs, most of which I also own. I've seen them live a few times and wish I could've seen them a lot more. For all intents and purposes, they are my favourite band and I am in a decent position to rate this release. But there is no doubting the drop in quality of their output since Orbus Terrarum.

If you are new to The Orb, there is plenty to look forward to here. As already mentioned, Discs 2 and 3 are of a consistently high quality. Alternatively, you could pop out and buy Okie Dokie, Orbsessions Vol 2, Baghdad Batteries (Orbsessions Vol 3), C Batter C and more of less forget all about this release - unless you really wanna see that DVD. Don't forget to pick up Moonbuilding 2703 while you're at it.

The aforementioned albums are probably the best that The Orb have come out with since Orbus Terrarum - and most of them were done almost entirely by Thomas Fehlmann. Coincidence? No. Of course, if you're new to The Orb, you should be buying Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld, The Aubrey Mixes, U.F.Orb and Orbus Terrarum before anything else.

4 CD Release - 2 Stars for Orb fans; 4 Stars for Newbies - Just bear in mind that rubbish like Vuja De, Prime Evil, Let the Music Set You Free, DDD, Sail etc were put out during a difficult transition period featuring numerous collaborators - collaborators who were absolutely vital as "Dr" Alex Paterson, despite delusions to the contrary, isn't much of a musician.

2 CD Release - 1 Star for Orb fans; 2 Stars for Newbies, since many of the better tunes are on the 4 Disc version.

Nutrient Wise Pure Forskolin Extract Diet Pills
Nutrient Wise Pure Forskolin Extract Diet Pills

4.0 out of 5 stars OK So Far, 14 July 2015
After much research, I decided to purchase these and I have been taking them for about 3 weeks. Progress is slow, but I seem to have lost a few pounds. That may be down to the fact that I am eating less - as an appetite suppressant, Forskolin seems to be extremely effective. I certainly do not exercise much outside of incidental walking and a weekly fitness class that I have just started.

But so far so good really - I will definitely be ordering more. There are lots of equivalent products. Just be sure that you are ordering pure forskolin extract with no fillers - 250mg daily dosage containing 20% forskolin. 125mg capsules are highly recommended so you can spread the supposed benefits over 24 hours.

I have taken them late at night on occasion and found that they do not interfere with sleep. Best of all, no side effects whatsoever.

Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free car kit for cars with aux input jack (3.5 mm)
Offered by BlueRigger LLC

1.0 out of 5 stars Good while it lasted - it just didn't last very long., 10 July 2015
I used this for a couple of weeks, during which time it worked very well. Great sound quality with the added bonus of being able to charge my phone at the same time.

I removed it from the car for a couple of months and stored it safely in the original packaging during this time. I put it back into the car at the weekend there and low and behold.....nothing. The bluetooth receiver won't come on and I cannot charge my phone either. I have 2 cigarette lighters in my car and the device is no longer working in either of them. £29.99 pretty much flushed down the toilet really.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2015 11:27 AM BST

Big Hero 6 [DVD]
Big Hero 6 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Don Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars I Am Satisfied With My Care, 14 May 2015
This review is from: Big Hero 6 [DVD] (DVD)
I took my 4 year old son to the cinema for this - I think it speaks volumes that the little guy hardly took his eyes from the screen except to say "This is brilliant Daddy!"

We have seen it a few times since and it has lost none of its appeal. It takes you through lots of emotional highs and lows, there are plenty of fun moments and dialogue plus some really great action sequences. Crucially, it manages to remain non-violent and therefore suitable for a young child.

The story is solid and while it was not possible to afford development for all of the main characters, everyone has their moment to shine and we do get to witness a blossoming and genuine friendship between Hiro and Baymax. And, of course, Baymax is just simply hilarious, especially in his earlier scenes.

Special mention to the music - brilliant - the first flight sequences are exhilarating! I shall go on no longer - this is a great movie. Easily one of my favorite Disney films and I cannot wait to buy the blu-ray!!

The Orb - History Of The Future
The Orb - History Of The Future

1.0 out of 5 stars Rip-Off Release, 28 Aug. 2014
I would describe myself as an Orb fan - I have been listening to them since Ultraworld and I too can remember them playing chess on TOTP! As well as a load of bootleg CDs, I even have most of their early albums on vinyl (including FFWD, which I understand is quite rare).

However, the only Orb releases I have bought since Orblivion are U.F.Off (bought as a completionist at the time), Okie Dokie and Baghdad Battieries - the latter two were mostly done by Thomas Fehlmann.

I haven't been too impressed by most of their post-Thrash releases and I am appalled at this 25 year "celebration" which is nothing more than a lazy cash-in. 90% of this content has been released before. There is little in the way of new remixes - I would've liked to see some new, remastered live recordings on there or perhaps 12" versions of some of those U.F.Off tracks. Sadly, it just seems that the ability to produce either no longer exists within "The Orb" as, contrary to popular belief, Mr Paterson is not a musician - he is merely a DJ and an "ideas" person.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2014 11:12 PM BST

Ytre Rymden Dansskola
Ytre Rymden Dansskola

5.0 out of 5 stars A Really Great Album, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Ytre Rymden Dansskola (Audio CD)
I'd never heard of this before. It was mentioned in the Amazon Music Forum and I duly checked it out. Very glad I did! This is a purely instrumental CD so no vocal tracks at all. Each track has a progressive, easy listening house vibe with several tracks featuring a disco sound that stays firmly away from cheese and funk. Nice variety in the tracks and perfect for chilling out at home or buy the beach (quite a summery vibe actually). Highly recommended.

The Musketeers - Series 1 [Blu-ray] [2014]
The Musketeers - Series 1 [Blu-ray] [2014]
Dvd ~ Luke Pasqualino

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite shows, 20 Mar. 2014
It may be a bit CSI / NCIS at times with the Musketeers having to solve some sort of mystery (often involving murder), but BBC's Musketeers is a tremendous amount of fun. I always end up smiling at the end of each episode. The plots can be a bit daft, but for me, this is light entertainment - turn the brain off and enjoy. It's well made and the casting is simply perfect - all 4 leads are likable and love the sense of friendship and camaraderie between them - ironically, the show actually does suffer a little from a lack of shared screen time with all 4 Musketeers together; hopefully this will be addressed in the next series.

Superman Action Comics Volume 1: Superman and the Men of Steel TP (The New 52)
Superman Action Comics Volume 1: Superman and the Men of Steel TP (The New 52)
by Grant Morrison

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disappointing, 11 Sept. 2013
I am not a comic-book collector, but I am no stranger to graphic novels and comic collections, with Batman and Judge Dredd being my favourites. I have never read Superman before, though I have seen the animated series, all of the recent DC films and even managed (somehow) to sit through 10 seasons of Smallville - so I have some knowledge of Superman lore.

I saw this New 52 Action Comics "reboot" as the ideal way to start collecting Superman (and Batman) for my children when they are older. Of course, I was planning to enjoy reading them myself! However, I found the main story (non-flying Superman v Brainiac) to be hard-going. While I eventually made sense of it all, I found myself re-reading certain pages several times in order to clarify plot developments and links. The whole thing feels a little rushed or disjointed. A few extra frames would not have gone amiss.

It looks great and what is there was been done well - it was all just a bit underwhelming. I did appreciate the introduction of Metallo, but I also felt that Lex Luthor, Earth's "finest scientific mind" was a bit silly. I always appreciated versions of Luthor that allied menace with malice and intelligence - this version of Luthor came across as a bit of an idiotic genius with some fairly irrational behaviours and outbursts.

What really bothers me is that when the Brainiac story ends, there is no immediate follow-up / continuity. We move onto the Krypton back-story (which does set up Krypto's appearance in the future at some point) and the Kent's first encounter with Kal-El / Clark.

We then move onto a short, complicated time-travel story involving The Legion of Superheroes and The Anti-Superman army which is similarly disjointed and awkward to follow. Basically, a huge jump from where the Brainiac story ended (strange for a character reboot) though not entirely unrelated to that story.

When all is said and done, I do NOT feel that this collection justifies the hype and the rave reviews - and it will certainly be some time before my boys are old enough to read and understand it!!

5 in 1 (Pack of 5) LCD Screen Protector/ Cover/ Guard /Film Includes Cleaning Cloth For New Sony Xperia SP (2013)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Fit For Purpose, 9 July 2013
These fit the Xperia SP perfectly, though they do cover the microphone - the official screen protectors do not.

Where they fail completely and utterly is that there is a small sticker on the front of the protector which is supposed to peel off, but is instead nigh on possible to remove. My the time you have scratched it away, your screen protector is ruined.

I contacted the seller about this and they very kindly sent me a replacement batch, but these were exactly the same. I ended up buying official ones in the end from an EE shop. Expensive, but protecting the screen is of paramount importance.

Fabric18 - Baby Mammoth Beige and Solid Doctor:
Fabric18 - Baby Mammoth Beige and Solid Doctor:

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Awful Really, 4 July 2013
With a fair whack of Pork CDs in my collection, I was fairly excited when I sw this "mix" CD with tracks from Baby Mammoth, Solid Doctor and Momma Gravy, whose Dribble It on is brilliant.

This on the other hand is far from brilliant. It's not really a mix CD and it seems to be full of sub-standard tracks that weren't even good enough to be album fillers.

It ain't chilled, there's some nonsensical vocals and a bit of (c)rap in there and pretty much nothing to provide warmth and vibe usually associated with these artists. I am not even sure why I am awarding it 2 stars. POOR.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6