Profile for Hillsman > Reviews

Content by Hillsman

Hillsman "Game Veteran" (Belfast, N. Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Orb - History Of The Future
The Orb - History Of The Future

1.0 out of 5 stars Rip-Off Release, 28 Aug. 2014
I would describe myself as an Orb fan - I have been listening to them since Ultraworld and I too can remember them playing chess on TOTP! As well as a load of bootleg CDs, I even have most of their early albums on vinyl (including FFWD, which I understand is quite rare).

However, the only Orb releases I have bought since Orblivion are U.F.Off (bought as a completionist at the time), Okie Dokie and Baghdad Battieries - the latter two were mostly done by Thomas Fehlmann.

I haven't been too impressed by most of their post-Thrash releases and I am appalled at this 25 year "celebration" which is nothing more than a lazy cash-in. 90% of this content has been released before. There is little in the way of new remixes - I would've liked to see some new, remastered live recordings on there or perhaps 12" versions of some of those U.F.Off tracks. Sadly, it just seems that the ability to produce either no longer exists within "The Orb" as, contrary to popular belief, Mr Paterson is not a musician - he is merely a DJ and an "ideas" person.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2014 11:12 PM BST

Ytre Rymden Dansskola
Ytre Rymden Dansskola

5.0 out of 5 stars A Really Great Album, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Ytre Rymden Dansskola (Audio CD)
I'd never heard of this before. It was mentioned in the Amazon Music Forum and I duly checked it out. Very glad I did! This is a purely instrumental CD so no vocal tracks at all. Each track has a progressive, easy listening house vibe with several tracks featuring a disco sound that stays firmly away from cheese and funk. Nice variety in the tracks and perfect for chilling out at home or buy the beach (quite a summery vibe actually). Highly recommended.

The Musketeers - Series 1 [Blu-ray] [2014]
The Musketeers - Series 1 [Blu-ray] [2014]
Dvd ~ Luke Pasqualino

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite shows, 20 Mar. 2014
It may be a bit CSI / NCIS at times with the Musketeers having to solve some sort of mystery (often involving murder), but BBC's Musketeers is a tremendous amount of fun. I always end up smiling at the end of each episode. The plots can be a bit daft, but for me, this is light entertainment - turn the brain off and enjoy. It's well made and the casting is simply perfect - all 4 leads are likable and love the sense of friendship and camaraderie between them - ironically, the show actually does suffer a little from a lack of shared screen time with all 4 Musketeers together; hopefully this will be addressed in the next series.

Superman Action Comics Volume 1: Superman and the Men of Steel TP (The New 52)
Superman Action Comics Volume 1: Superman and the Men of Steel TP (The New 52)
by Grant Morrison

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disappointing, 11 Sept. 2013
I am not a comic-book collector, but I am no stranger to graphic novels and comic collections, with Batman and Judge Dredd being my favourites. I have never read Superman before, though I have seen the animated series, all of the recent DC films and even managed (somehow) to sit through 10 seasons of Smallville - so I have some knowledge of Superman lore.

I saw this New 52 Action Comics "reboot" as the ideal way to start collecting Superman (and Batman) for my children when they are older. Of course, I was planning to enjoy reading them myself! However, I found the main story (non-flying Superman v Brainiac) to be hard-going. While I eventually made sense of it all, I found myself re-reading certain pages several times in order to clarify plot developments and links. The whole thing feels a little rushed or disjointed. A few extra frames would not have gone amiss.

It looks great and what is there was been done well - it was all just a bit underwhelming. I did appreciate the introduction of Metallo, but I also felt that Lex Luthor, Earth's "finest scientific mind" was a bit silly. I always appreciated versions of Luthor that allied menace with malice and intelligence - this version of Luthor came across as a bit of an idiotic genius with some fairly irrational behaviours and outbursts.

What really bothers me is that when the Brainiac story ends, there is no immediate follow-up / continuity. We move onto the Krypton back-story (which does set up Krypto's appearance in the future at some point) and the Kent's first encounter with Kal-El / Clark.

We then move onto a short, complicated time-travel story involving The Legion of Superheroes and The Anti-Superman army which is similarly disjointed and awkward to follow. Basically, a huge jump from where the Brainiac story ended (strange for a character reboot) though not entirely unrelated to that story.

When all is said and done, I do NOT feel that this collection justifies the hype and the rave reviews - and it will certainly be some time before my boys are old enough to read and understand it!!

5 in 1 (Pack of 5) LCD Screen Protector/ Cover/ Guard /Film Includes Cleaning Cloth For New Sony Xperia SP (2013)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Fit For Purpose, 9 July 2013
These fit the Xperia SP perfectly, though they do cover the microphone - the official screen protectors do not.

Where they fail completely and utterly is that there is a small sticker on the front of the protector which is supposed to peel off, but is instead nigh on possible to remove. My the time you have scratched it away, your screen protector is ruined.

I contacted the seller about this and they very kindly sent me a replacement batch, but these were exactly the same. I ended up buying official ones in the end from an EE shop. Expensive, but protecting the screen is of paramount importance.

Fabric18 - Baby Mammoth Beige and Solid Doctor:
Fabric18 - Baby Mammoth Beige and Solid Doctor:

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Awful Really, 4 July 2013
With a fair whack of Pork CDs in my collection, I was fairly excited when I sw this "mix" CD with tracks from Baby Mammoth, Solid Doctor and Momma Gravy, whose Dribble It on is brilliant.

This on the other hand is far from brilliant. It's not really a mix CD and it seems to be full of sub-standard tracks that weren't even good enough to be album fillers.

It ain't chilled, there's some nonsensical vocals and a bit of (c)rap in there and pretty much nothing to provide warmth and vibe usually associated with these artists. I am not even sure why I am awarding it 2 stars. POOR.

XPERIA SP Bendy Gel Case Cover Skin WHITE for SONY XPERIA SP SmartPhone (2013) - Includes BONUS: G-HUB Desk-Lounger (Desktop Support Stand)
Offered by G-Hub

3.0 out of 5 stars Not aesthetically pleasing, 4 July 2013
The quality of the cover is decent and it fits the Experia quite well, even managing to avoid obscuring any of the light-bar on the front.

HOWEVER, the pictured item shows holes for the power, volume and camera buttons - these buttons are clearly illustrated protruding through the cover. This is NOT the case. The buttons are still usable, but this takes away a lot from the look of the phone IMO.

SID Chip Sounds: The Music Of The Commodore 64
SID Chip Sounds: The Music Of The Commodore 64

3.0 out of 5 stars Veritable ensemble of C64 Composers, 30 May 2013
I say composers, because that is what they were. Writing original pieces of music, then coding it to exploit the possibilities of the C64's Sound Interface Device (SID) while also working within its limitations. It was an era of musical pioneering and creativity, with countless masterpieces to rival anything from the classical era.

This is an ambitious release since all C64 music is readily available for free - though software is typically required to play it. I wonder who the target audience is. Then again, there are people like me, who played these games as a teenager - my interest lies in the quality of the re-mastering and the convenience of popping a CD into the car stereo (and the packaging of course, which is nice).

This CD aims to provide a sample of a range of musicians, which is something I appreciate. Normally, legends like Rob Hubbard , Martin Galway and Jereon Tel dominate any playlists and Top 10's I have seen. On the downside, the track selection isn't great - there are better works by these artists and for someone like me, a few of these tunes are massively over-played. And admittedly, for the price, I would like to have seen a double-CD at least.

The chiptune scene seems to have really come into its own in recent times, with lots of original albums coming out via the likes of Ubik Tunes. If these C64 classics are new to you, then you're in for a treat. And if you like what you hear, tootle on over to C64Audio.com and pick up Project Galway for a true education.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2013 12:05 PM GMT

Dropsonde
Dropsonde

4.0 out of 5 stars Biosphere's last great album?, 20 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Dropsonde (Audio CD)
For me, this is Biosphere's last great album and definitely warrants at least 4 stars. Prior to Shenzhou & Autour De La Lune, I wouldn't describe any of his individual productions as purely ambient - more collections of different electronica genres, which is no bad thing as purely beatless ambience can quickly become rather dull, unless sufficiently laced with relevant samples and/or melodies of some sort.

Cirque is one of my favourite Biosphere albums in that it features more "upbeat" tracks with interesting beats and drum patterns that border on drum & bass at times - the combination of Algae & Fungi Parts 1 & 2 is an absolute highlight for me. And Dropsonde marks a return to this slightly more upbeat style - we've got heart-warming ambience of course (Sherbrooke), but as a fan of jazz-infused drum & bass, there is plenty on this album to make the heart flutter. Hugely accessible and highly recommended.

Tangled (Blu-ray + DVD) [2010]
Tangled (Blu-ray + DVD) [2010]
Dvd ~ Mandy Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Disney at their Brilliant Best, 31 Jan. 2013
My favourite Disney film is Aladdin - great story, superbly realised characters, an awesome villain and brilliant songs with clever lyrics. Tangled delivers in spades. There's a few bum notes humour-wise and not all of the songs are great - but many of the songs ARE great while everything else truly shines.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5