Profile for Jo Summers > Reviews

Content by Jo Summers

Jo Summers "slugabedz" (Bournemouth, UK)

New Power Clutch Pro YoYo (YO YO) with Carry Clip
New Power Clutch Pro YoYo (YO YO) with Carry Clip
Offered by Bargin Billies

5.0 out of 5 stars My 8 year old loves it, 2 Nov. 2013
I bought this for my son's birthday. He was very impressed as it comes with a belt holder! It's a long string (adult size) so he yoyos from a stool but will happily spend ages practising. My hubby and I have had great fun playing with it too. I can make it spin at the bottom and am now trying to make it roll along the floor. Great stuff!

48 Lego Batman Cupcake Toppers
48 Lego Batman Cupcake Toppers
Offered by Belle Toppers

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Rice Krispie toppers and fast delivery!, 2 Nov. 2013
If you are after lego batman cake toppers then these are great. They arrived very quickly. Seller said they would be here on Thursday and they arrived on Monday. The quality of the images are excellent and the rice paper is nice and thick. We put these onto Rice Krispie cakes so I can't comment on what happens when you put them onto icing but they stuck firm and fast and looked great. My 8 year old loves them. Only thing is, as mentioned by the other reviewers is that they aren't pre-cut out. Cutting out perfect circles is difficult so I cut them into squares instead! Much easier. Would have been 5 stars had they been pre cut. Enjoy!

Angry Birds Knock on Wood Board Game
Angry Birds Knock on Wood Board Game
Offered by Home of Shopping

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant fun for all ages!, 5 April 2012
Firstly the product sold on amazon is not a fake, it's definitely the real thing. Secondly, this is endless hours of fun. It arrived yesterday and my boys haven't stopped playing it.
In the pack you get 3 angry birds (all different), 4 pigs, a star, an egg, 14 building blocks, a launcher, 40 mission cards and 16 bonus point cards. The premise of the game is that the mission cards show a diagram which you have to build, level 1 = 100, 2 = 200 & 3 = 300, freestyle = 200 or 300. You can pick your level but it gets harder the higher the number! If you knock over all the pigs, you keep the points on the card, if you don't, you lose and it's the next players turn. If you knock over all the pigs and also either the star or egg, you get a bonus 100 points. The first to 1000 points wins! Last night my eldest and I played it and it took an hour for him to win.
It's brilliant fun. My 6 year old likes to play it properly according to the rules as bossy 6 year olds do! He complained that one of the pigs doesn't exactly resemble the image on the diagram on the cards (it's missing a crown) but hey-ho. My 3 year old plays it how he wants, he builds what he wants and knocks them down. It's great fun either way.
It doesn't have much educational value but then that's not why you buy it. It definitely does help with manual dexterity for little ones. My 6 year old can't build some of the diagrams as they require balancing but he gives it a good go and my 3 year old is learning too. It also teaches turn taking and helping and sharing like any other board game does.
Bear in mind that it needs to be played on a flat surface so if they want it for their bedroom and have carpet, it's not going to work. We play it on our fireplace which also has the bonus of a fire surround background so if the bird misses, it has the chance of hitting the pigs from behind. The boys love it and it speeds up the game a bit.
The quality is great, I can't fault it. Okay it's made of plastic but but what isn't made of plastic these days? Wooden blocks would be nice but would make the game heavier and harder to play. The cards will probably be bent quite quickly by my youngest though but he's only 3 and the game is for 5 year olds. The box is sturdy and it's very well designed and packaged. A lot of thought was obviously put into it.
My advice is if you love angry birds, you'll love this game. A handy hint is to quickly take a snap on your phone of the box contents when you open it so you can fit the bits back in again. We didn't do this and it took ages to figure out.
The thin ice version of angry birds is now on all our wish lists :)

Catching Fire: 2/3 (Hunger Games Trilogy)
Catching Fire: 2/3 (Hunger Games Trilogy)
by Suzanne Collins

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't wait, just buy it, 27 Mar. 2012
If you liked the Hunger Games, you will love this. It is the perfect second book in the series. The story idea is great - probably stronger than the first, the characters are good - you already know some of them so this develops the existing with the addition of some new ones. I couldn't put it down and I don't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Without doubt not the weakest book in the series which they usually say the second in a trilogy is. That would be mockingjay :(

Mockingjay (Hunger Games Trilogy)
Mockingjay (Hunger Games Trilogy)

1.0 out of 5 stars Gargantuan fail of a book, 27 Mar. 2012
I absolutely loved the first two books. I was hooked within a few chapters of reading the Hunger Games and quickly finished the second book Catching Fire. After reading the first quarter of Mockingjay I found it a bit long winded and disjointed which, considering the action had heated up, was surprising. By the time I got to chapter 25 I was so dissapointed in both the writing and the storyline I really wasn't bothered about finishing it. My advice is to buy the first two as you'll probably revisit them and borrow this one from the library or a friend. You probably won't want to re-read it, unless you enjoy feeling both depressed and dissapointed at the same time (....with a bit of anger thrown in and directed at the author for failing her fans so miserably). My only hope is that some clever screenwriter can do something special to transform it when the time comes to make the movie :(

The Da Vinci Code [2006] [DVD] [2007]
The Da Vinci Code [2006] [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful., 30 Mar. 2007
I absolutly loved the Da Vinci Code book and was looking forward to seeing the film after borrowing it from a friend..... oh how wrong I was!! Dreadful is the perfect word to describe it. I'm not sure about the casting.... I kind of had Tom Hanks as a great Robert Langdon but Audrey Tatou wasn't great and Paul Bettany wasn't either. I can't say either way about Ian McCellan as the film was so bad I turned it off before I got to him. It just didn't flow well.... was too rushed. If you enjoyed the book, read it again, don't watch this dreadful film.

RHS Grow Your Own: Veg (Royal Horticultural Society Grow Your Own)
RHS Grow Your Own: Veg (Royal Horticultural Society Grow Your Own)
by Carol Klein

5.0 out of 5 stars A fab start to my vegetable garden, 23 Jan. 2007
I bought this book as I have been watching the series and I was not disappointed as it is very well organised and informative. The first 50 pages or so are made up of sections about: plot (size, raised beds/containers, early/main crops); preparing the plot; a step by step guide to growing and extending the season; problems; and a seasonal calendar (what to do and when to do it). The rest of the book (some 150 pages or so) is about the veg. Split into different categories, each vegetable has 4 pages dedicated to it (although one of these pages is a picture). Each vegetable has information on: the best sites and soils; sowing and planting; cultivating; harvest; storing and cooking; pest and disease; recommended varieties (along with pictures). Each also has a useful small calendar showing which are the suitable times to sow, plant and harvest.

All in all I think it's an excellent book. It is well written (except for one typo I found in the potato section!) has beautiful pictures and all the information I wanted... even a glossary to explain all those terms I'm unfamiliar with. If you are new to vegetable gardening like me, you won't be disappointed.

New York ("Time Out" Guides)
New York ("Time Out" Guides)
by Time Out

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it!, 24 Jan. 2005
After booking my trip to New York I found myself unable to resist buying books on the place and bought the Brit's Guide, the Mini Rough Guide and the AA Spiral Guide to help me pick and choose what I wanted to do. I have to say I deliberately avoided the Time Out guide because of the review I read on this website; even though I was very much impressed by the Las Vegas guide I bought a few years earlier. Still, the temptation was too much and, as I was looking for a "hip" type of guide book, I went ahead and bought it anyway and I'm very glad I did.
I found that the book's sections were just the right size - you've got a small section on the 'history of NY' which is very well written, a small section on 'accommodation', a reasonably sized section on 'sightseeing' - half of which is about Manhattan, a quarter is the outer boroughs and the other quarter is on museums, a large section on 'eat, drink, shop and party', a large section on 'arts and entertainment' and, of course, the necessary directory and maps at the back!
I can't comment on the hotel section that another reviewer has mentioned as I picked my hotel after much research on the internet however I think the rest of the book which I did use is well laid out and very informative. I particularly bought it to check out the nightlife of NYC which I found very useful.
If you are familiar with the other Time Out books then you will know that this book is written from a point of view as if the writer has been there and needs to tell you the essential information about the place you are visiting and any hints about what to do or expect when you get there.
All in all, I liked this book. True, I wouldn't use it as my only guide book. I found the other three that I bought equally as useful; The Brit's Guide is a great guide, very informative with very handy hints from a Brit's point of view, The Mini Rough Guide tells you about the more dodgy/less dodgy areas of the place and is very good for your handbag and the AA Spiral guide gives you great information about sightseeing and gives you ideas about how to fill the days that you are there. If you are only after information about sightseeing then I probably wouldn't buy the Time Out guide (hence only 4 stars!) but if you want honest information about where to eat, drink, shop, party and generally be entertained then this is definitely the guide for you!