Profile for hakki808 > Reviews

Content by hakki808

hakki808 (Aurora, Colorado USA)

Doctor Who: The Space Age
Doctor Who: The Space Age
by Steve Lyons

4.0 out of 5 stars Space Age : Wonderful West Side Story in Doctor Who Style, 21 April 2003
At the first time, I was bit confused about what the back cover said and what I had read some few first chapters.. Just tell any would-be reader to ignore the back cover plot at the first. The major story can be surmarized into the British-Doctor Who Style "West Side Story".. I guess most of would-be readers may can predict the major plot.
However, the story itself is well written. I kept reading it to the end. Lyon created the excellent charcterizatsion of each non-regular characters of mods and rockers. The real West Side Story the movie has a real sad ending based on a Shakespean Tradgety. On the other hand, Lyon has created the story of two young lovers, Alec and Sandra as the West Side Story Lovers.. if they may have survived in the future and transported into the futuristic city which the Time-Alien, Maker had offered to them as a gift..
I do not want to disclose any storyline no more though... I believe that Lyon has represented his own psycho-social interplay of each mods and rockers.. The story is waven with their psycho-social interactions of two groups. Their 19-year war between them showed the major tradgic human drama when they kept maintaining their human aggressive patterns. I feel so sad that they have had some chances to evolve into the better. They brew them so big, and so humanly.
At the backgrond of the futuristic City, their so-human aggressive emotions and so-humane stupidity have caused ironically thier own distruction of the City which had taken a care of them very duitefully.
Three regular characters, Doctor, Fitz and Compassion, were wonderful ones. The Silent Presence of Compassion was really the impressive one through the novel.
If any reader wants to read this Lyon's West Side Story in the Doctor Who Style, I recommend this book as a great study of character social-cultural interplay and interplot of those who have failed for their better social evolution and choices.

"Doctor Who": Eye of Heaven
"Doctor Who": Eye of Heaven
by Jim Mortimore

4.0 out of 5 stars This book is a best one for Leela fans, 7 Oct 2000
At first, I was bit uncomfortable about characterization of strongly savage nature of Leela at the first half book. However, I realized that this book is uniquely based on Leela's story telling. The reader may have to adjust the attitude of very unique and innovative structure of all chapters. As the reader keeps reading carefully each of them, each of them will reveal very vivid charcterizations as well as motives of all main characters from her point of view.
And I admire the long-term DW writer, Mortimre took a chance to write a very dramatic as well as innovative story tellings from Leela's point view. As I was reading the second half of the book, I found myself amazed about the best characterization of Leela and her relationship with other characters beside Doctor himself.
I will recommend all Leela fans to read this book. Moritmre successfully researched her personal history, that is the highlighted key for resolving the mystery happening in Easter Island.