Profile for A. D. Hayward > Reviews

Content by A. D. Hayward

A. D. Hayward "Big Al" (Qatar)

David Bowie
David Bowie
Price: 13.87

4.0 out of 5 stars The Real Bowie?, 25 Oct 2010
This review is from: David Bowie (Audio CD)
Bizarrely, this was the first Bowie album I heard & got to love when I was 13 or so. I guess like most music 'when you hear it' has a bearing on your view of it. I also love punk rock,but maybe it's because I was there! I loved this album & I still do 33 years later. It's a nearly joyful listen throughout & always makes me smile. Songs like when i live my dream, rubber band, in the heat of the morning & karma man, may be considered twee by some but they are infectious & 'good songs' The standout classic is 'London Boys' recently covered by Marc Almond on his 'Stardom Road' cd, this song is in my top 20 Bowie of all time. I have everything that the great man has ever recorded but still enjoy this album from beginning to end. Imagine my shock on hearing Ziggy...(the next album I got my hands on), it was that one that seemed strange & un-Bowie like to me...I must confess that I was only really convinced by 'Starman' at first & took a while to 'get' the rest. No coincidence, as Starman is very much in the vain of this, his first really good album! Get it, I promise you that if you're open to it, you will love it from start to finish.

The Final Cut: Remastered
The Final Cut: Remastered
Offered by MUSIC4SURE
Price: 9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Still relevant today....Roger's best 'Solo' album, 23 Nov 2009
Understandably maligned due to a) it's dry, controversial content b) the discontent surrounding the band c) the fact that it is effectively a 'solo' album. Nonetheless, this is a classic album & contains 3 top 10 floyd songs for me: Gunners dream, Fletcher memorial & the magnificent 'Final Cut' itself. It comes down to whether you're a lyric type of person or not, musically it's dark but magnificent with one of Gilmour's best guitar solos (Fletcher memorial) but it's Water's INCREDIBLE words that have haunted me all these years. In many ways it's his most focused concept & with the madness of war & all the young lives needlessly wasted these days, it's as relevant as ever! Waters has always written about real issues, he's a national treasure and in my opinion our greatest ever lyricist.

Boston Legal - Season 4 [DVD]
Boston Legal - Season 4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Spader
Price: 11.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Still on top..., 3 Oct 2009
Ignore some of the negative reviews, I thought this was as strong as the first 3 seasons. There is one scene that's the funniest ever! not giving much away, but Denny takes Shirley for dinner & in a bid to show his sensitive side, he has water tubes taped to his face so he can 'cry' the result had me rolling on the floor & is up there with Del boy falling through the bar in fools & horses! Buy, what is still the greatest ever U.S comedy show.

Rising Damp - Complete Collection [DVD]
Rising Damp - Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Leonard Rossiter
Price: 11.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Still very funny...but skip the movie, 3 Oct 2009
Crazy price at the moment for one of the best comedys ever! I was amazed how the humour is still spot on & the comic timing of Leonard Rossiter reminded me of what a unique genius he was. All 4 series are very strong & laugh out loud funny. The movie rehashed many of the best lines from the 4 series, so (whilst not bad) it feels superfluous. Overall this is even better & funnier than I remember it..

Across the Universe [Blu-ray] [2007] [2008] [Region Free]
Across the Universe [Blu-ray] [2007] [2008] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Evan Rachel Wood
Offered by Rapid-DVD
Price: 7.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Stick with it..., 3 Oct 2009
Wow! As it started out I thought i was gonna hate this but stick with it & it really is a brilliantly effective piece of art. Being a Beatles fan certainly helps, but there's much else to enjoy (loved Bono as Dr Robert & Eddie Izzard for example). Great message, great visuals, great extras, stunning on Blu-ray. The yard-stick should be Moulin Rouge (which I loved), if you didn't get that, then this is not for you, if you did, then this is very highly recommended.