Profile for Quirkle > Reviews

Content by Quirkle

Quirkle (West Sussex, U.K.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Virgil Fox Plays the Wanamaker Grand Court Organ [DVD] [2006] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Wagner

5.0 out of 5 stars Two greats for the price of one, 1 Nov 2009
The Wanamaker Organ is the largest organ in the world in playing condition. It also makes an incomparable superb majestic sound. To hear it live is a lifetime experience for lover of organ music. Virgil Fox was, many say, the best organist of the 20th century. The combination of The Wanamaker and Virgil Fox together make this a golden oldie and set a benchmark in listening. We are so lucky that this high quality recording is available on digital media. The quality of sound on this DVD is exceptional and will require high quality sond equipment to do it full justice. For me the 'Kaleidoplex' digital collages are a distraction. A collectors item. Highly recommended. Sit back, close your eyes and enjoy.

Brighton & Hove Bus Names
Brighton & Hove Bus Names
by Mike Cheesman

4.0 out of 5 stars What's in a name, 1 Nov 2009
For those interested in Brighton and Hove's excellent bus service who want to know the history behind the named buses 'Brighton and Hove Bus Names' will provide an added dimension of local knowledge. For a small book I think it's a trifle expensive, but well written and illustrated. From time to time the bus names are changed as alterations to the fleet are made so some current names may not be included.

London in the Twentieth Century: A City and Its People
London in the Twentieth Century: A City and Its People
by Jerry White

2.0 out of 5 stars Full of facts but not bedtime reading, 1 Nov 2009
A good reference source for social history students but I found it too heavy going to keep my interest.

Braun Oral-B Professional Care 5000 XL Rechargeable Toothbrush
Braun Oral-B Professional Care 5000 XL Rechargeable Toothbrush

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than my last Braun, 20 Aug 2009
So far the first charge is holding up well having lasted more than a week. My last Braun rarely held charge for more than one day. The cleaning action is very effective and at this price the Braun 5000XL represents good value.

1 Kg Salveo Indian Soap Nuts Eco-Friendly Laundry Detergent Vegetarian Society Approved
Offered by Salveo Wellness

4.0 out of 5 stars Good natural value, 30 July 2009
We were introduced to these by our Daughter in Law in the U.S.A. who uses them for most of her normal garment washing. During a recent visit I was doubtful at using them for my shirts but once tried I was surprised at the good result and the fresh smell. My wife is picky about her washing and sets a high standard but even she has no complaints so far. They don't do everything, so dont throw away the stain remover or the biological just yet. We also found that when dry fabric had a slightly rougher feel, but that may be because we have used fabric softener for so long and now don't. They are economic. In the U.S. A. the kernels are left in and you can get 4 or five washes out of one batch. Remember to remove them before putting the washing in the drier !

Bach Book
Bach Book

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for lovers of Bach's organ music, 30 July 2009
This review is from: Bach Book (Audio CD)
If you love Bach and 'The King of Instruments' then this is one for your collection. E Power Biggs was around at the same time as Virgil Fox and there was some rivalry. Several delightful pieces from Anna Magdalena Bach's family music book are played with such delicacy and perfection. Bigg's was renowned for this style of interpretation. The Biggs version of 'Now thank we all our god' is, dare I say it, probably better than Virgil's - but I enjoy both for different reasons.

KMS DIRECT Black USB 1000MA Car Charger
KMS DIRECT Black USB 1000MA Car Charger

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware - not as illustrated - and no lead, 30 July 2009
A very poor quality item and not as illustrated. The USB socket on mine is warped and the contact button is bent. Although a lead is shown (and this was the item I wanted) this was not delivered with my charger. I'm reluctant to use this item in case it damages the car or my Zen. You get what you pay for and this is junk. The supplier works from a P.O. box and no telephone number appears on the invoice. Amazon should not front suppliers of this type.

Chasseur Casserole, round, 20cm, 2.5ltr Cream
Chasseur Casserole, round, 20cm, 2.5ltr Cream

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value and a useful size, 27 Dec 2008
If you love cooking this is a quality item that you will have for a lifetime and grow to love for its usefulness. Compared to the Le Creuset of the same diameter the Chasseur is about 30mm shorter in height, that extra 30mm makes a lot of difference in a bubbling pot.

Do not use bleach in the pot or vinegar unless you want to want to disolve the vitreous coating. Ours has none, after 30 years a seasoned patina has developed and it is still a great pot for sealing meat, a curry or any 'one pot' main meal on the hob or in the oven.

You need strong wrists if you store this pot on a top shelf because it is no lightweight. Cast iron also holds the heat, so careful handling (oven gloves) and heat resistant surfaces are needed.

Added 5-9-11
We paid about half the current price when we bought one of these for our Son. These things never wear out, you just shelve it for something lighter. It might be good but at over £70 its very very expensive. We still use some of our smaller Le Creuset brand items which are of slightly better quality.

Creative ZEN 4GB MP3 Player (discontinued by manufacturer)
Creative ZEN 4GB MP3 Player (discontinued by manufacturer)

2.0 out of 5 stars Reliability of Creative Zen 4GB, 27 Dec 2008
I received mine in August as a birthday gift. Up to the time of total failure, after four months careful use, it had provided responsive listening pleasure. Attached to the USB today (27.12.08) for a re-charge and to add some tracks and it died completely. No response in the unit, (dead screen) and no attachment recognition from the PC software.

Being a relatively simple device in October it was 'frozen' by a file it couldn't recognise and had to be reset and reloaded (a pain), but this time during a normal event it appears to have turned its toes up completely. It is being returned to Creative but I have lost confidence in it after a minor and now a major malfunction. Obviously temperamental, vulnerable, but not cheap.

Do you really need to spend this much to play a tune or two ? The screen is really too small for any sensible viewing and the radio sensitivity is questionable. It also has many openings for dust entry and even a very good case cannot protect against this. It is externaly very well constructed, user friendly and excellent when working, but I wish mine had been reliable. Solid state devices like this are generally rock solid dependable. Have I just been unlucky with a quality issue ?

Creative EP-510 Sports Ear-hook Earphones
Creative EP-510 Sports Ear-hook Earphones

4.0 out of 5 stars A 'Sound' Buy, 6 Sep 2008
I bought the Creative EP510 earhook earphones to use with my Zen because the phones that came in the Zen pack, although good, kept falling out.
Having used many earphone types I have very surprised at how good the EP510's are. The frequency response for such a small earpiece is excellent,no tinny hiss and good bass reproduction, much better than earphones costing twice as much. I originaly bought these as 'cheapies' just to see if the earhook style was comfortable before buying a better pair. Having found that the fit suited me I bought some more expensive earphones, Philips SH8000/00's - a bad move. The sound produced by the Creative 510's is so much better that I will continue to use them. They may not be the best for convenience or style but they beat others for sound quality and at this price you will be hard put to find a better buy

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8