Profile for steeve patrick > Reviews

Content by steeve patrick

steeve patrick (Manchester, UK)

The Man Who Killed the Hamsters - A Biography of Ian Moss
The Man Who Killed the Hamsters - A Biography of Ian Moss
by Stephen Dobson
Price: 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars "Down the memory lane" fun but..., 4 July 2014
I so wanted to like this book and am giving it 3 stars because ultimately the book itself (how it is written particularly) is a continuation of Moet's many missed opportunities the book itself exposes. It verges on middle class voyeurism, divulging all the drunkenness and violence in a matter of fact style the way school yard gossiping would have it. It's hard to truly understand the aim of this book other than feel as if the author simply mindlessly revelled in acquiring all the anecdotal cuttings from his living hero, carefully pinning each butterfly on a velvet board to dry for his own admiration. Very little attempt is made to describe the songs I assumed are yet unheard by the vast majority of readers and the names mentioned are never portrayed in a literal sense other than "(insert name) did (insert action and place)". Ultimately the tediousness of every chapter starting with booze/drugs and ending with a mix of body fluids covering the rainbow spectrum overshadows the few glimpses of Moet's character.

On the up side, It's an alternative perspective (at least from the glossy lickings of other topical books I've read) on the Manchester music scene of that period and this perhaps the only element that compelled me to read the whole thing through. Mick Middles surely should have ceased the opportunity to write about the man behind his current favourite band. Not. Too. Late. Mate.

Liquid Silk Water Based Personal lubricant - 250ml Bottle
Liquid Silk Water Based Personal lubricant - 250ml Bottle
Offered by Tiger Blue
Price: 10.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 26 April 2014
The best most versatile lubricant there is. Lasts and washes off easily. Never sticky and actually enhances sensation for both wether male or female.

Doc Johnson PVC Small Butt Plug Black
Doc Johnson PVC Small Butt Plug Black
Offered by BedtimeHeaven
Price: 8.45

1.0 out of 5 stars Not at all as described and not "small" either!!!!, 26 April 2014
6 inches? Not sure how they measured it but it's actually 7.5 inches around the larger part of the billiard ball. I have a 5 inch dildo that squeezes in nicely, thought I'd train up to 6 inch but this was a step too far. Also, the part between the ball and the stopper is so small that the exit is terribly painful. Yes, I've used LOTS of Liquid Silk, relaxed, went at it smoothly and slowly... I didn't just fall on it. If you are looking for a beginner's butt plug, this is not the one. It will make for a very nice door knob.

Hyundai Electric Wok
Hyundai Electric Wok
Offered by Hyundai
Price: 39.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not stir fry - slow cooker shaped as a WOK, 4 Nov 2012
This review is from: Hyundai Electric Wok
I though I'd save myself money buying a cheaper wok. I was wrong as it needs to stay one for so long before anything cooks that I'd easily spend the difference in electricity. A handful of prawns, raw, defrosted took me 30 minutes to cook and still the middle was still a little raw. It comes on for a few seconds then drops for minutes. I returned it and got one that did exactly the same thing. This should be under slow cookers. AVOID!

Classic Album Selection [1979-1984]
Classic Album Selection [1979-1984]
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior to the Rhino collections and Re-Mastered., 5 Dec 2011
I bought these thinking they were the original CD masters. I'm a massive fan and I had given the original CD away when The re-mastered series started to unfold. Unfortunately, the re-mastered version of The Top didn't feel right for two reasons: Shake Dog Shake's start was slightly cut and Bananafishbones sped up. I was therefore hoping that these would be the original CD releases the way Rhino releases cheaply packaged albums of the old masters (thin sleeves, no booklets) after re-mastered work is released (original album series). These are in fact the 2004 - 2006 re-masters including 8 pages booklets with lyrics and pictures packed in very attractive gatefold LP-like sleeves and as such I was pleasantly surprised.

As for The Top, well, Bananafishbones is still OTT whilst Shake Dog Shake has been "fixed" with the sound of the drums starting naturally without the odd "cut". Amazing value.

Geldof in Africa
Geldof in Africa
by Bob Geldof

5.0 out of 5 stars Poverty is not always about money..., 16 Aug 2005
This review is from: Geldof in Africa (Hardcover)
I saw the documentary on the BBC and admired Geldof's "in your face" approach to Africa's history. When it credited him for all the writing, I was happy to find this book and indeed, his diary style writing has more of an impact than most African history books written by scholars and historians who possibly never even visited our motherland. His comments are sharp and inspired and do justice to the complex situation in Africa through first hand experiences. At this price, it is clear to me that the money goes into the production of this big and picture intensive book (it is made in Germany, not Taiwan) and if there's any money left, well Geldof deserves it for educating us the way no other dares to, and hopefully will make sure he brings us more quality products such as this book in the future! Why would people criticise him for releasing such wonderful book when the same people won't mind paying for a Cola or a chocolate bar (both ingredients are still at the root of African child slavery)? The irony...