Profile for Valley Man > Reviews

Content by Valley Man

Valley Man (Cornwall, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Gladiator: Special Anniversary Edition
Gladiator: Special Anniversary Edition
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 10.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, 7 April 2012
A piece of music that is as haunting as it is captivating. The movie was released some years ago now, and a great movie it is to. But Hans Zimmer's achievement is in producing a score that just lives on and on. I believe good movies, are made great often by the music that accompanies it. Zimmer does that here.

This later edition of the CD includes the later released 'More music from Gladiator'. You may immediately have alarm bells ringing thinking rip off, well don't. True the main 'theme tune' does re-appear and run through the score, but this disc is enhanced by some great quotes from the film itself and Russel Crowes voice adding to the atmosphere created.

Lisa Gerrards haunting voice takes what is a great score, to the truly great level. The music may well live on longer than the film....

If you have some quality floor standing speakers, check the neighbours (and the wife) are out, turn up the volume, and you are there - in the middle of the colliseum wielding your sword taking on all-comers !! Turn to take your bow from Caeser, then turn it down before she gets back from the shopping or the dog dobs you in!

Along with 'Black Hawk Down' and 'Thin Red Line' this is one of the best scores produced by Hans Zimmer to date.

Stanley 077720 Stud Sensor
Stanley 077720 Stud Sensor
Offered by SUPADEALS
Price: 22.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Fine for stud wall, not for wires, 9 Jun 2011
Thought I might be on a sticky wicket with this as its quite cheap, and I was not disappointed.
Once you battle to get into the plastic packing you find why they're not that keen on you using it!
It takes on 9V battery (not included) and you need to read the instructions to get the calibrating part right each time you use it.
Once calibration was mastered I tested it on known areas of studs and wireing in my stud walls.
It seemed to find the studs quite well once I'd got the hang of it giving you a centreline for the stud after a bit of practice. Wires though was a disaster, It will basically tell if there is ac wiring somehwere in that wall!! The alarm sounded constantly when near any stud wall that contained wiring. In solid walls it sounded pretty much all the time to.

Although it does describe itself as a stud sensor, it does claim to do ac wiring too on the packet so should be able to perform much better than it does. I'd advise you'd probably be better off spending a bit more cash on a non-stanley product.

Cosmic Egg
Cosmic Egg
Price: 7.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Sabbath and Zeppelin live on...., 8 Feb 2011
This review is from: Cosmic Egg (Audio CD)
OK it sounds like Black Sabbath and Led Zep. But it does not only sound like them, it is not out of place beside them it is that good. I've had the album for 12 months and it just gets better and better with each play.
When I first heard Sundial on a mates system I thought it was Sabbath.
I don't care if people think its old fashioned, retro, step backwards or whatever, for fans of those bands and others like them from that era it is a breath of fresh air. Long may Mr Stockdale continue in the same vein.
Seems the Aussies are hell bent on keeping Classic Metal alive what with Airbourne who really must be AC/DC's illigitimate offspring!

Meet You There
Meet You There
Price: 12.33

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but not as good as earlier material, 2 Feb 2011
This review is from: Meet You There (Audio CD)
Obviously I'm in a minority judging by other reviews here, but I have all their albums and am a fan.
'Meet you there' for me just doesn't have the punch and raw sound and expression that Holy Bandits and especially 'The Shouting End of Life' had. Here we just seem to plod along, OK the songs are fine but none stand out for me apart from 'Just one life' maybe. The band claim they are growing up - for me this album sounds like hey are growing old.

Rubycon
Rubycon
Price: 7.53

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Great Three TD albums, 10 Jan 2011
This review is from: Rubycon (Audio CD)
For me one of the great three Tange albums. Along with Phaedra and Ricochet. The virgin years were their most original and other albums from the time zeit etc are not far behind and set the scene for what was to come. Some people say the 70's was a poor decade for music but Tangerine Dream's input alone nulifies that argument.
Yes they have gone on to produce a catalogue that would keep you in music for years but quantity does not mean quality I'm afraid and they have lost their way in later years. If you have none of TD's output and want an introduction of their classic output (in my opinion) then this album is a great start, but if I was you I would order all three!! At these prices they're a steal.
When delivered, lights down low - Full Volume (and I mean Full if you have a good system), and few beers and depart the planet. Your choice if you come back!! The wife will no doubt ask where you are and the answer will quite literally be just passing Jupiter! If I'm lucky enough to know the time of my checking out of this world, these albums will be on my headphones!!
Nobody has closely recreated the atmosphere that TD did with these early albums.

Blood Of The Earth (Limited Edition)
Blood Of The Earth (Limited Edition)
Offered by nagiry
Price: 13.05

1.0 out of 5 stars Let down by dreadful Vocals, 28 Dec 2010
I love Hawkwind, don't get me wrong. But even I cannot listen to this anymore after several attempts due to the dreadful vocals. They can still make the music, but please there is no shame in getting some guest vocalists in.
I have even taken it off my itunes, it's that bad.

Passchendaele [DVD] [2008]
Passchendaele [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Paul Gross
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 3.52

2.0 out of 5 stars A poor portrayal of truly awful times., 28 Aug 2010
This review is from: Passchendaele [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
There have been some great films in the past set around this theme and period, and when I saw the cover I went for it without any real research. Mistake. Pretty much a one man effort by the bloke who used to be in Due South. I enjoyed that, but really Mr Gross this was not good.
A number of clichés, predictable storylines, following a love theme. Very mediocre acting from Gross, in fact some of the unknowns (at least outside of Canada I guess) were better than him.
I am sure that the Canadian forces, like the all the others in this tragic period were brave men, in a place they should never have been. But Canada did not win the war single handed, not all British were evil lying taskmasters, and the only mysterious thing about the Germans was their language compared to the Allies.

Come on Canada, you don't need to go down the Hollywood road of very loosely based historical inaccuracies to suite a home audience.

Rent if you must, but don't part with cash to own this. Disappointing.

Over The Top
Over The Top
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 9.26

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid NWOBHM type metal, 14 May 2010
This review is from: Over The Top (Audio CD)
If your a fan of Maiden, Priest, Dio etc etc and looking for some new bands to continue on the tradition then this is for you. Personally it grew with a number of plays on me, particularly the vocals. The opening track 'Over the top' sets out the stall for the rest of the album. You knwo what you're going to get with this and it doesn't disappoint!

Chained To The Nite
Chained To The Nite
Price: 10.03

3.0 out of 5 stars Traditional Metal but not quite there - yet., 1 May 2010
This review is from: Chained To The Nite (Audio CD)
I bought this on the back of some good reviews and recently discovering that there are a number of new bands out there continuing the tradition of the Classic Metal I like. The Maiden, Priest etc references are certainly there, and to be honest on first listening the rhythm guitar of Venom came to mind.
However, after a number of listens now I enjoy it, but it is average and not anything I haven't heard before. Of course originality is not really too much of an issue in Metal, but this didn't make me stop what I'm doing and enter into a bought of air guitar.
Jason Decay's vocals are in tune (no growling here) and OK, but lack the power that I would like with this kind of music.
Three or four tracks in and it is getting a bit monotonous, the rhythm guitar is a bit uninspiring only being occasionally punctuated by some good riffs. Highlights for me are 'Dreams die young' and the last track 'Chains around heaven' both good traditional metal tracks in the traditional of the old NWOBHM. I don't want to sound too negative as this a good album but it stops there. It's great that there are still bands out there making new Metal albums of this type. I still think that Cauldron could produce a great album, though maybe the three piece could be supplemented by a stronger singer. I hope they keep at it.

Easy Way to Artisan Breads & Pastries, The
Easy Way to Artisan Breads & Pastries, The
by Avner Laskin
Price: 8.78

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for UK readers, 24 Sep 2008
The idea for the book is great and the author is no doubt expedrienced in the field of baking. There are a number of different sections from sweet bread to sourdough bread. This book though is written for the US market. It is ONLY in american meaaurements ie cups etc. There is no conversion chart either. References use american names for products which I didn't understand. Some ingredients of which are not readily available in the UK or have other names I'm not aware of. The recipes look lovely though, but remember this is artisan bread making and not a five minute fix! The sourdough recipe looks great, still trying to get it right though!
The book is fine for the American market, in the UK it is too confusing and I would suggest a different book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3