Profile for samfalc > Reviews

The Eerie Silence: Searching for Ourselves in the Universe
The Eerie Silence: Searching for Ourselves in the Universe
by Paul Davies

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeply informative and interesting., 22 Feb. 2012
I purchased this book after seeing a few segments of Paul Davies speaking on popular BBC science programs, specifically The Search for the Life: The Drake Equation with Dallas Campbell. The book provides a very broad and rich overview of the current state of affairs regarding SETI , never dwelling too long on a specific area, which keeps it constantly stimulating.

Perhaps the best testimony I can give is previous to reading this book I had a strong idea in my mind that life was overwhelmingly likely, given the sheer amount of stars and the growing evidence from Kepler of the normality of planets orbiting a large proportion of them. The Fermi Paradox was simply down to the size of the universe I ignorantly assumed. This book opened my eyes to many new ways of thinking about this issue and left me feeling very enlightened. I would highly recommend it to the curious layman.

The Magic of Reality: How We Know What's Really True
The Magic of Reality: How We Know What's Really True
by Richard Dawkins

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, 3 Oct. 2011
A thoroughly excellent and charming read. I would highly recommend this book to anybody regardless of age or experience. As a young man with a fairly good knowledge of popular science I still found myself learning a lot of knew things, and even if I hadn't, the sheer clarity of thought and beauty of the writing would make it more than worthwhile. Not to mention some outstanding illustrations from Dave Mckean.

It should be on the shelves in every household for so many reasons, but I can imagine for parents looking to educate their children in critical thinking then this would be perfect. I certainly would have liked a book like this to have been available in my younger years! I think particularly the structure of the book provides an excellent framework for the content, with each chapter asking one of the profound questions which we have all asked at some point. A must buy.