Profile for L. Cavalcanti > Reviews

Content by L. Cavalcanti

L. Cavalcanti (Rome , Italy)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
LG 32LA620V 32-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Cinema 3D Smart LED TV with Freeview HD/Built-In Wi-Fi (discontinued by manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars 6 months of light use ... and broken !, 15 July 2014
I was very happy with my TV, until this weekend. After six months I bought it, it stopped working an hour before I was to see my country play the football World Cup final . Screen just went funny and spoilt the match I had been waiting to see for 20 years. If you need a tv for the next 6 months , go for it !

Popcorn: History Corner: Victorians
Popcorn: History Corner: Victorians
by Alice Harman

5.0 out of 5 stars Great History reading for young children !, 16 Sept. 2013
My child has just started Year 1 and it is somewhat difficult to find History books which will match her level in Reading and vocabulary , as these are usually intended for older children. This book presents a very clear , short but interesting text, has relevant matching pictures and curious facts. It was very enjoyable for her to read aloud ( her Reading level is Oxford Readers 6 or 7 ) and it keeps her interest till last page every time she reads it. There is a craft activity proposal on the last page and activity sheets to download on the website. Would recommend it !

Katie and the Impressionists
Katie and the Impressionists
by James Mayhew

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful !, 6 Jun. 2013
I have started sharing Katie's books with my daughter when she was three and now she is five and very much into art. These past two years we have been going to the National Gallery every time we are in London and both me and her love playing to " go inside" the pictures for an adventure of our own. It is wonderful to share my love for arts with her and to see her having the opportunity to play inside a museum ! These series of books have helped me to nurture in her the curiosity and the love for learning and were the start point of many interests she is developing nowadays , like travelling and languages . By far , most loved books in our library !

Crown Compact Fitness Balance Board - White (Wii)
Crown Compact Fitness Balance Board - White (Wii)
Offered by Clickforgamesltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great !, 5 Jan. 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have opted for the compact version of this board as it was intended for my 4-y.o to use . It is just her size and works well , no problem to sync ( ok , it was difficult just until we realized we had the board positioned the wrong way ! ) and has provided hours of fun so far !

Polly Pocket Hangout House
Polly Pocket Hangout House
Offered by Toy Vendor UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun !, 9 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Polly Pocket Hangout House (Toy)
My 4 y.o loves Polly Pocket and I have just got used to the fact the toys don't stand out for their quality . Yes , most of them are flimsy and probably not durable , so I am happier to get them at a discounted price than paying the full value they are not worth. My daughter has a regular Polly Pocket house and she loves it , but because of its flimsy nature and all the small pieces in it , I have to say this one has made a big difference .With the regular house , any small bump sends things into the air , and if the house happens to tumble over , then all the furniture has to be put back into place , what happens more often than I would like ( mummy is called to do the job every time ) . This one is brilliant , everything just sticks to the house ! And , it's fun , it has really gone well with my little one's silly sense of humour , sticking toilets in the ceiling and plates to the walls . Happy with purchase , would buy other sets to go with it.

Oxford Reading Tree Read With Biff, Chip, and Kipper: Phonics Flashcards: Rhyming Games (Read With Biff Chip & Kipper)
by Kate Ruttle
Edition: Cards

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, okay entertainment, 30 Nov. 2012
Cards are good quality and all but it takes a lot of " theatre " to make games entertaining to my 4 y.o who has started big school three months ago. I would say words in set 1 are too easy for her , so if I had got this pack when she had just started with phonics / reading it would have made more of a challenge but maybe it is still a good practice of the words she already knows well. Wish I had known the words in it before buying , so if it might help anyone considering this purchase:

SET 1 bed/red ,fox/box, ten/pen, dog/log, cat/hat, peg/leg, net/wet, van/man, pot/dot, up/cup, jug/mug , run/sun, map/cap, cut/hut, dad/mad, mop/hop, six/mix .

SET 2 nest/rest, hand/sand/, list/fist, bump/jump, camp/lamp, grin/twin, drip/skip, plum/drum, tent/ bent.

Also Biff , Kipper & Chip don't seem to appear much on the cards, so it does not make sense to buy because of the characters they get familiar with at school.

Sam Sheep Can't Sleep (Phonics Readers) (Usborne Phonics Readers)
Sam Sheep Can't Sleep (Phonics Readers) (Usborne Phonics Readers)
by Phil Roxbee Cox

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice for Beginners !, 28 Nov. 2012
My daughter has started big school three months ago and is on her first steps of reading . She has loved this book because she knows most sounds in it and has confidence to read most of it on her own . When I ordered I had expected more of a book concentrated only on the phonics , where the lines didn't make so much sense and the story didn't flow . But it was a nice surprise to get nice illustrations and a proper story book instead of one with loose sentences. . A lot of "ee" practicing, ( words need , week , sheep , asleep , see, street ) . Trickiest words and sounds that might need some help : jiggle , fright, down, yawn . I would recommend it to any 4-5 year old starting school now .

Please, Baby, Please
Please, Baby, Please
by Spike Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for new readers !, 19 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Please, Baby, Please (Paperback)
I got this book when my daughter was 2y.o and it seemed a bit boring. Although I found the illustrations gorgeous and the story sweet , the rhymes didn't seem to entertain her . She actually wanted to know why was baby acting so silly ! She is 4 now and has just begun reading at school and this book has come to life now. It is very easy for new readers , as the text has very easy words and the line "Please , baby, please " is perfect for her to " have a break " from the words she has to put more effort to read. She does not find the baby silly anymore , she finds it funny and can relate to the new baby arriving in the family . As a big sister , she will never let baby do all that ! :o)

Once Upon a Liverpool
Once Upon a Liverpool
by Maria Saunderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful !, 24 July 2012
This review is from: Once Upon a Liverpool (Paperback)
I simply fell in love with the textile work in this book ! It tells the story of The Beatles in delightful illustrations and has made my 4 y.o fall in love with the band & music. The text might be a little bit unaccessible for young children but the pictures give more than enough to talk about . A favourite !

Katie and the Sunflowers
Katie and the Sunflowers
by James Mayhew

5.0 out of 5 stars Big fan !, 25 April 2012
I have turned into a major fan of James Mayhew , for many reasons : his wonderful stories, his talented illustrations, his unique way of orchestra storytelling but most of all : he has made possible for me to share things I love most, as music and art, with my 3 y.o ! I don't only recommend this book, I recommend the entire collection to anyone who would love to share the arts with their little ones !
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2012 5:23 PM BST