Profile for HarvardAlum321 > Reviews

Maximuscle Cyclone 2.7kg Strawberry
Maximuscle Cyclone 2.7kg Strawberry
Offered by Activecare Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Overall - Even for Beginners, 6 Jun. 2013
I've only been taking protein shakes for about two years, and at first, the process is overwhelming. With so many different types on the market, choosing from so many options is overwhelming. I've at first tried some USN, but I prefer Maximuscle (that's just personal preference). But if you're trying to decide between Cyclone, Maximuscle Progain 2000 g Chocolate Size and Strength Shake Powder or Maximuscle Progain Extreme 2083 g Strawberry Size and Strength Shake Powder, CHOOSE CYCLONE!

I was on Cyclone for a while and then switched to Progain, as I was interested in size not necessarily strength. I was shocked because I started losing weight. But I spoke to a personal trainer, who gave me two important points. First, your body needs creatine to increase in size. Second, your body needs glutomine to recover and grow back stronger (and larger). These two ingredients are key. Progain does not have either, and Progain Extreme has only a small amount. Cyclone has the best mix of creatine, glutomine and protein. If you're trying to get bigger take two scoops (rather than 1.5). There are plenty of calories in this shake.

I highly recommend it.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great American Food / A Bit Pricey Tho', 23 May 2013
This is the real American stuff. It's a great syrup. It might be a bit too sweet for Europeans, but I loved it. Of course, it costs four or five times the price of what it would cost in the States, but it's better than not having it at all.

Samsung UE40EH5300 40-inch Full HD 1080p Smart LED TV Wi-Fi Ready (Old model) (discontinued by manufacturer)

2.0 out of 5 stars Freeview HD Channels Don't Work, 20 May 2013
So I have to admit, this is a decent TV. It's got a good picture, and you can get smart TV features if you buy the additional dongle.

But the product description clearly says that you should be able to get Freeview HD channels (without having to buy a Freeview HD box). Many of the negative descriptions on here seemed to be the result of Amazon getting the TVs from Germany -- and the German models weren't quite working properly here in the UK.

So I thought I would buy this TV from another company, where I was fairly confident it would be a normal British model. Unfortunately, I still have an issue. I live in a strong TV signal area. I also have an LG TV LG 42LM620T 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LED Cinema 3D Smart TV with Freeview HD and 4 Pairs of 3D Glasses(see my other reviews), and it picks up the Freeview HD channels just fine.

This Samsung TV does NOT pick up the Freeview HD channels. I've done a software update, re-tuned the channels about six times, but nothing works. The Guide feature shows all the channels receiving a strong signal, but it's always patchy and often just black.

My other criticism for this TV is that it makes an annoying beeping sound whenever you flip channels or adjust the volume. This is a minor point, but I don't know why the TV needs to beep every time I change channels or adjust the volume.

Overall, if you care nothing about Freeview HD, then do consider this TV. I haven't tried all the Smart TV features, but the BBC iPlayer does work. If HD TV is important to you, you might want to consider another product.

==UPDATE==
I called Samsung who walked me through a barrage of tests. I live in a strong signal area of 97 to 100% signal strength. We reset the TV several times, but the channels still didn't come through. I exchanged this TV for another one, and the SAME PROBLEM occurred. I assumed the channel issues on Amazon were due to the TVs being shipped in from Germany. There is just a flaw in these TVs whereby they have a harder time picking up HD channels. If that means nothing to you, then give this TV a shot. But I have to say that I much prefer LG.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2013 8:58 PM BST

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Parts 1 and 2 (Blu-ray 3D)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Parts 1 and 2 (Blu-ray 3D)
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the Best 3D Blu Ray on the Market, 18 April 2013
So like me, you're probably looking at the price (2 for 22) and you're thinking why not. Well, in this instance, you get what you pay for. This is NOT a very good 3D Blu Ray disc. The movie appears as if they put it into 3D as an after-thought. The characters don't really have "depth". It seems more like the 2-dimensional characters in the foreground are just slightly larger than the 2-dimensional characters in the background. It's a bit like a puppet show with paper dolls.

If you like Harry Potter and you were going to buy the Blu Ray anyway, you might as well get 3D, but this definitely isn't a "must have."

Transformers: Dark of the Moon (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + Digital Copy)  [2012]
Transformers: Dark of the Moon (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + Digital Copy) [2012]
Dvd ~ Shia LaBeouf

5.0 out of 5 stars On the Edge of My Seat!, 18 April 2013
Others have said it on here, but this is a FANTASTIC 3D Blu Ray Disc. I had seen the movie before, and the plot is admittedly just okay. Large robots battle for control of earth. It's not Life of Pi in terms of depth and meaning. But the 3D effects literally had me sitting on the edge of my seat. I couldn't believe it. I had seen this movie several times before, but I found the 3D graphics to be amazing.

I was put off slightly by the high price on here. I did find it on another website for cheaper, so I would recommend that Amazon drop the price to 20 quid, but if you're in the mood to splurge on an amazing 3D movie, go for this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comparing 2012 and 2013, 14 April 2013
I've written a review on the 2013 model LG 55LA620V 55-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Cinema 3D Smart LED TV with Freeview HD/Built-In Wi-Fi, and I have to say that although I was disappointed with that model in terms of value for money, I am extremely pleased with this model.

I've compared both, and although I am not an expert in 3D or high-tech gadgets, the 3D and 2D both look equally stunning. I looked at 3D movies and high definition channels on both sets, and they look exactly the same. There's a reason that this product has so many good reviews. I know more people will explore greater details than I will, but if you're debating whether to get a 2013 versus a 2012, I would recommend that you save your money and go for the 2012 version.

The 2012 version has four HDMI inputs, whereas my 2013 only has three. I have no idea why they'd change that.

The 2012 requires an external dongle to access Wi-Fi and get BBC iPlayer, but by this point, that's been amply discussed in online reviews. The dongle is under 30 pounds, and that is by far cheaper than paying an additional 200 quid to get the 2013 model.

So buy the 2012 with confidence.

LG BH7430P 3D Blu Ray 5.1 Channel 1200W Home Cinema System
LG BH7430P 3D Blu Ray 5.1 Channel 1200W Home Cinema System

2.0 out of 5 stars Rear Speakers are NOT Wireless, 12 April 2013
I purchased this newer (and more expensive) version of LG's 5.1 home cinema system in part because the rear speakers were supposed to be wireless. Amazon's description says this twice, but it's not true. Just to make sure that I wasn't missing any thing, I called LG, who confirmed that this device does NOT have any wireless speakers. Somehow LG and Amazon have mixed this up.

Also, I confirmed from LG that there is NO NTSC to PAL conversion capabilities on this system also. So if you were thinking of using it to play any discs from North America, this is also not an option.

I'm not sure who was responsible for listing this misleading information (whether it was Amazon's fault or LG's), but it's a bit disappointing that you can't rely on the descriptions given here.

You may wish to consider getting the 2012 version of this, which is somewhat cheaper: LG BH7420P 3D Blu Ray 5.1 Channel 1100W Home Cinema System

****Update***

I did decide to try out the sound system itself. It is 1200 Watts so the speaker is very powerful--almost too powerful. If you live in a flat or in a semidetached house, you may not need the full 1200 watt system, because they are very powerful, and your neighbors will be hearing it as well. I've never even put the sound up more than half way, and at that level, my walls are literally vibrating.

Navigating the system is not as user-friendly as Sony's sound system. I've noticed that the special effects come through very loudly, but the character dialog gets drowned out in the process.

You can overcome this by going into the settings and turning down certain speakers and turning up other ones. There is also a special "clear voice" setting, but this helps only a bit. Other than sheer loudness, I'm not sure how this is an improvement over the 2012 model.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2013 1:18 PM BST

(Discontinued by Manufacturer)
(Discontinued by Manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars Stick with the 2012 Version, 10 April 2013
I was in the market for a 3D television. LG ones by far had the most four and five star ratings, so I decided to go for them. As the new 2013 model had just been released, I thought I would go for the latest one, figuring that there may be new and additional features not available on the 2012 version.

FYI - I also recently purchased a 2012 LG Smart 3D TV LG 55LM620T 55-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LED Cinema 3D Smart TV with Freeview HD and 4 Pairs of 3D Glasses for a family member, and so I was able to compare both versions.

The 2013 version has built in Wi-fi, which means you do NOT have to buy the USB dongle LG AN-WF100 Wi-Fi Dongle for Wireless Access to LG Smart TV required for the 2012 version. But to my knowledge, that is the only benefit.

The smart apps are all the same - ie BBC iPlayer.
The pictures are equally beautiful -- in both 3D and 2D.
The 2D -> 3D imaging is the same (in both 2012 and 2013 it's an interesting gimmick but still needs improvement)
Both come with four pairs of glasses.

However, the 2013 model has only three HDMI ports, whereas the 2012 has four. I can't imagine why they would change this. Also, the product description on Amazon does not make this clear. For example, I have a satellite box, an Apple TV, a Blu Ray Player and a Playstation. That's four items. I now have to go to the hassle of switching one around on a regular basis. This is not a huge deal; however, given the fact this newer version cost 400 pounds more than the 2012, I would have thought they would not have paired down this feature. So in essence, they are charging 400 pounds more to save you the cost of a 28 pound dongle.

That being said, despite my feeling that this TV is very poor value for money, the picture is superb. In 2D the colors are bright, vivid and crisp. And in 3D (with the right 3D films and players), the scenes are breath-taking.

So overall, I'm happy with LG, but I think it's worth sticking with the 2012 model for now.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2013 10:27 AM BST

Cheesey Pasta 190 g (Pack of 12)
Cheesey Pasta 190 g (Pack of 12)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not At All Like the American Version - Not Even a Decent Alternative, 24 Mar. 2013
If you are accustomed to the American version of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, this product is NOT for you. I saw that this got mostly positive reviews, and it is much cheaper than the original Kraft macaroni (which is increasingly hard to find), so I thought I would give this a try.

It was NOT good. It wasn't just different in terms of taste: it has a particularly sour or rank taste to it -- like the cheese powder had expired or gone off (but it's powder and I never got sick, so that can't be that a particular cheese batch was bad). But imagine you made the macaroni with expired milk, that's what this tastes like.

So I would either pay up for the real thing (even though it's ridiculously over-priced) or just stick with regular pasta or macaroni.

Skylanders Giants Scarlet Ninjini
Skylanders Giants Scarlet Ninjini
Offered by MICRO LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Get Ripped Off - Purchase from Amazon.de, 24 Mar. 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
If you take a look at all of the third-party sellers on here, you'll notice that most if not all are based in Germany. That's because Scarlet Ninjini is an exclusive for Amazon Germany. If you go to Amazon.de, you can find the figure there for 16 euros. Even if you don't speak German, you can use Google Chrome to translate the pages for you. Your Amazon UK account will work just fine, so you don't need a German credit card or shipping address. You will pay a few extra pounds for shipping, but in total, you'll get Ninjini for less than 20 quid -- rather than paying 32+. See the advert here:
(They run out from time to time, but they usually get stock in every few days, so check back regularly)

As a figure, this is probably the best all around Giant on the market. I'm not surprised that they saved the most powerful for last. Her sword and orb attacks make her unstoppable --even at a very early level. She's also much faster than the other giants -- although not as fast as some of the smaller Skylanders. She is a great character to have either in battle arenas or advancing through levels.

For parents who are being selective about which Skylanders to buy, this one is definitely worth it!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2013 9:05 AM BST