Profile for nevaduh > Reviews

Content by nevaduh

nevaduh (Belfast, United Kingdom)

Political Science Research Methods
Political Science Research Methods
by Janet Buttolph Johnson

4.0 out of 5 stars Must-have for PG students, 10 Dec 2012
If you are a post-graduate student doing research in political science, this book is a must. It very clearly explains the concepts and methods you will need to know to have a successful MA, MS, PhD. The authors attempt to present the information in as fun a way as possible for a topic such as this.

The material presented is clear and informative. The topic can be intimidating, but the book is set out in a way that it is easy to understand and follow.

I definitely recommend this to fellow post-grad students or high-level u-grad students pursuing extensive political science research.

Critical Thinking: A Concise Guide
Critical Thinking: A Concise Guide
by Tracy Bowell

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for UGrad, bad for PGrad., 10 Dec 2012
I was required to purchase this book for a Masters level research design course. While the book is useful in explaining important concepts of critical thinking and analysis, it does so in a very, very basic way. It is equatable to something you would learn in a 100-level undergraduate critical thinking course.

If you are an undergraduate student, this book is definitely oriented to you, so it might be the right one for you. I am not in a position to necessarily recommend it to an undergrad, but certainly consider it.

If you are a post-graduate student, steer clear. This is not the critical thinking book for you. There are much better books geared toward post-graduate study.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2014 10:24 AM GMT

Time To Run High Visibility Armband With LED Pack Of Two
Time To Run High Visibility Armband With LED Pack Of Two
Offered by Time To Run Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful, but not remotely water resistant., 10 Dec 2012
I bought these for both running and cycling. I do both early and late during the day when the sun isn't always shining and it's nice to have a bit more reflection, even if it is extremely dorky.

These arm/legbands are simple and don't really need explanation. You press the button and the LEDs flash, you press it again, they stay on solid and press the button again, they're off. The 3M reflective material is high quality and does a good job at catching headlamps and alerting cars.

The only problem is that the wiring for these is in a little elastic pouch which, if it's raining, will get wet and your batteries will short out. Mine dried out and started working again, but it's something to be aware of.

Overall, if you need something like this, buy these because they're no more expensive than they need to be and they do just exactly what they're supposed to.

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder Drink Mix Double Rich Chocolate 908g

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Whey Protein Supplement, 10 Dec 2012
I have used a variety of protein supplements in my quest for aesthetic greatness (joke). Optimum Nutrition is by far the best I have ever used. The nutritional information is good enough, the price is good and the taste and mixing is good.

In the past, I've used MaxiMuscle, MuscleMilk, generic "health food" protein, soy protein, and this is my first time using ON 100% Gold Standard Whey. There's a reason it's called 100% gold standard; it's the standard to beat. Sure, the other protein's I've tried do the job, but ON is just better and you don't have to pay more.

Optimum Nutrition products are generally great. I've used the creatine supplements and now the Whey. This whey has good taste and mixes well, unlike some previous other brands I've used. Taste isn't a big deal because, be honest, you're not taking this stuff because it tastes good.

Bottom line: forget the other brands and buy Optimum Nutrition.

Philips Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock HF3510/01 with Sunrise Simulation - 3 Sounds and Radio Function

4.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative alarm clock with 1 minor flaw., 10 Dec 2012
I live in a part of the world where the sun doesn't always rise until hours after I've crawled out of bed. Waking up in the pitch black dark to the shrill scream of most traditional alarm clocks is not a great way to wake up at 5am. My brother, an MD, suggested I look into sunrise simulation lamps to avoid seasonal affective disorder, with the apt abbreviation SAD. I did a lot of research and decided on the Philips since I have owned their products in the past and they are always high quality. This sunrise sim lamp is no different.

I have owned the Philips HF3510/01 for about 2 1/2 months now and I have noticed a difference. I feel more alert in the morning and I am actually more willing to wake up earlier since it's a less traumatic experience. I do sometimes find myself waking before the light has reached its full brightness, but this is bound to happen since the wake-up process is more natural and less forced.

The unit is very user-friendly and intuitive. The interface is high quality, easy to understand and attractive. I use both the sunrise and sunset simulations, which leads me to the reason I only gave this 4 stars.

I would really like if the LED bulb could be changed by the user when it burns out. Granted, the expected life on the bulb is 6,000 hours, but I would use it more as a general lamp if the bulb were changeable.

Pros:
-Easy to use
-Much more pleasant wake-up process
-Compact unit
-Provides nice light
-Nice, dimmable display

Cons:
-Expensive
-LED bulb not user-changeable
-Not suited for heavy sleepers