Profile for Sam > Reviews

Nuaire Drimaster Condensation Ventilation Loft Unit
Nuaire Drimaster Condensation Ventilation Loft Unit
Offered by Platinum Building Chemicals

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody amazing., 12 Oct 2014
Nuaire Drimaster Condensation Ventilation Loft Unit.

We moved into our detached 2 bed 1950 built bungalow (with brick walls inside - only plasterboard is the ceilings, with floor boarding) 3 winters ago. We have never had problems with condensation in any other property. It seemed each winter the problems got worse and worse.

We have had various people round to check damp course/proofing loft insulation, cavity walling, even had our windows checked, every air brick is free flowing and unblocked. The condensation was running down every window as if a bucket of water had been thrown at them, would go through a towel per window, plus moping the window cills up, we had drips coming off the ceiling and along top of the walls - particularly a problem in our bedroom and front room (lounge) which are both north facing, not to mention having to pull the beds away from walls and checking behind wardrobes for mildew on the back of them, not one professional could give us any reason for the excessive condensation we had, Also our toilet cistern used to be coated in a mist of condensation all the way up to where the water level stopped - and i had to put kitchen paper on the floor to mop up the drips.

We spent a lot of money last year with extra fan heaters and also a De-humidifier. The de-humidifier was next to useless even though we brought quite a big and expensive model(De-Longhi) - as it cuts out when the tank is full, I can remember having to empty it 2 or 3 times during a day. Plus it was very thirsty on electric and also very noisy. I even brought a karcher window vac to help make it easier for removing the moisture - sometimes as soon as i had cleared the window, more condensation would appear!!!

Last year (autumn winter 2013 to early 2014) was when we first stumbled upon the Nuaire systems, but not many people had reviewed them - making our sceptism even more sceptic as it sounded far too good to be true.

But, after one fairly cold night early October 2014, we decided to re-research the Nuaire systems, more reviews this time all positive. We bit the bullet. When it arrived in a fairly large box, we though ok, no problem - took it out of the box, and assembled it - its HUGE, well bigger than both of our minds thought it would be even though it has dimensions. Its not that heavy, the "ears" and "trunk" make it look bigger.

The hole you have to put in the ceiling for the vent is quite big - 220mm just a smidge bigger than a Christmas cake tin - which we used to draw around. Fitting it, was fairly straight forward (my husband is an ex-builder with fairly good knowledge of electrics) He cut into the loft lighting wire and fitted a junction box, that the unit was then wired into, then he fitted part of the lighting wire to supplied fused socket. We have placed the unit on a loft board and its sat on top of an off-cut of carpet (we noted some peoples concerns about vibration and noise), the trunk was tucked in around insulation - we have kept it on "factory" setting modes - purely because that was for a 3 bed house - we have a 2 bed bungalow.

We can hear a slight hum with the loft hatch closed, and when i say slight, it is slight, my frost freezer makes about 5 times more noise.

The first 2 days after installing, we did notice our hallway smelled a bit "lofty", its not an awful smell - its just a loft smell - i hope you understand what i mean, but after 3 days that had gone.

After installation on approx day 5, we had a particularly cold night - well according to the local weather it went down to 5c, went to check on windows, as you do when you first have this installed, and no condensation. Looked out of the window to see our neighbours windows, and they were streaming. Actually i told a lie, there was a very light mist of condensation at the very bottom of the lounge bay window only (north facing) - approx 1cm worth.

Last week we put the heating on "to test it mind" not because we are southern softies....and i swear, our bungalow felt so much warmer than it ever has in the past - We do not have a room stat, just 0-5 on the boiler, with each radiator with a temp stat on them, we have them all on different settings, but on average they are on 2 and half, it felt nice and toasty.

Got the heating on this afternoon - with 2 loads of washing on airers, and it still feels warm and cosy. In fact you can smell the washing better. The air quality within our home feels clearer too, it is supposed to be good for anyone who suffers from dust and mite allergies,

In the mornings it does feel a little draughtier directly underneath the vent (which could be prettier) but we don't stand under that all day long, just walk past it, its in our hallway, when the heating is on you do not notice the draught at all.

Although we have a bathroom extractor, after 2 showers or a bath, the room stayed quite steamy for quite a long time afterwards - not now, maybe for 10 mins after the bathroom has been used by both of us.

Hopefully no chest infections or any other associated complaints this winter from breathing in damp cold air.

We also have an electric smart meter fitted (we got that when we had our ancient gas meter changed) we have had that for about 18 months now. With nothing in use, other than things on standby, the electric consumption is totally miniscule - uses only 1amp. The write ups all say costs less than 1p a day (depending obviously on who you use to supply your electric) I would agree with that statement. It would be hard to compare even when we get the next bill as this time last year we were using a de-humidifer, which was costly, but i will update when i get the next bill (december sometime).

The only maintenance needed is to replace the filters "ears" every 5 years, if the "ears" seem a little dirty, you can remove them and hoover them.

We are over the moon with this product, and would like to thank everyone who has written reviews, and also those who have asked questions and those people who kindly replied. They really helped us make this monumental decision to purchase a Nuaire Drimaster Condensation Loft Ventilation system. We are now kicking ourselves for not getting it last year.

We would highly recommend this product.

Please note: we do not have the heat version...this is a review purely for the condenstaion loft ventilation.

If only i could show you a picture of it in situ...

Bloody Justice: The Truth Behind the Bandido Massacre at Shedden
Bloody Justice: The Truth Behind the Bandido Massacre at Shedden

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody Justice, The truth behind the Bandido Massacre, 12 Jun 2014
I was recommended this book by a good friend, it is not the genre of book I would normally have chosen to read hence my review. I admit, I know nothing about "bikers" and didn't really want to, but this book has brought about a good understanding of the brotherhood that are bikers, the author has explained the complexities of membership, the hierarchy within the group in a very clear and understanding way to the layman (or woman). This book covers all of the events wonderfully well and most descriptively, starting with the discovery of the 8 dead men, the early life of one of the accused, how he came about to be affiliated with the Bandido's, the background leading up to the events on that fateful night including in some graphic detail what happened allegedly, to the arrests and trial of all the accused. Ms Arvast went into great narrative concerning the prosecution and defence and explained what the Jury had to deliberate over and what form of sentence, if any, should be delivered. I was thoroughly enthralled by this telling of an awful incident in Canadian history, to the point that I have an interest in the soon to be upcoming appeals, I believe in September this year. You can tell that the author has spent many a long hour pouring over this case both physically and mentally, I admire that. Highly recommend this book, even if your not a biker chick/fella, but are interested in real life Justice.

Silverline Silverstorm 263511 Bench Grinder 150W 150mm
Silverline Silverstorm 263511 Bench Grinder 150W 150mm

4.0 out of 5 stars Silverline bench grinder - perfect for the "shed dweller" in your life, 2 July 2012
My husband has been wanting one of these for ages - over the years he seems to have accumlated many shaped/sized chisels, all of which are blunt. I saw him looking on the internet for one of these and brought this one. He is very happy with this purchase, however, one of the plastic see through guard flappy things has cracked (his own fault as he over tightened the screw - so do be careful - easily fixable) and on arrival the right side stone (the smooth one) the mounting plate for the guide bar was bent - big hole in the box, not postal fault as the amazon delivery box was in perfect condition - we believe it got damaged in the holding bay/type place where its stacked up...but my husband managed to bend it straight with pliers and a bit of elbow power. when you switch it on, is has a gentle hum which gets a little louder as the wheels speed up (i actually think its comforting sound - but don't tell OH i told you that) but it is not loud, it apparantly works really well, he has done half his chisels, he has cleaned up scrapers, my garden hoe, and attempted my shears - but he can't do the whole length of the shear blade as the grinding wheel space is too narrow but he only misses about 2 inches off the fattest part of the shear blade, he has told me he is going to persevere with it and see if he finds a better "knack". I am very pleased with this grinder and my husband is over the moon - its compact, not too noisy, does the jobs he needs it to do, and a very reasonable price. I opted for super saver delivery, and it came in 3 days.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2012 9:34 PM BST

Chimney C Cap Disused Terracotta Colour
Chimney C Cap Disused Terracotta Colour
Offered by Chimney Cowl Products Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Chimney C Cap for dis-used chimney, 2 July 2012
Recently we experienced very bad weather and we had an awful lot of rain water fall through our chimney pot and flood everywhere - so we found out the hard way our new houses chimney is not capped or blocked off. This cover, fitted the bill perfectly, it was easy to assemble with the 2 U bendy holding clips - and the inclusion of an insect trap, so that flies, bees, wasps don;t fly up and under and into front room, which also acts as "air hole/ventilation" too. Dead easy to put over our chimney pot (asked windo cleaner a huge favour as we don't own a ladder) he just plonked it on, on the angle and gave it a firm but gentle thwack, and hey presto. It is already noticeable that the wind no longer howls down, and we have had no further rain coming down. I can't vouch for its warmth retaining abilities, when the heating is on - as its only July (feels like October though, lol) - hence the 4 stars, we also just instaled an electric fire over the hearth hole anyway. But good solid and very reasonably priced cap that is more or less invisible when you look up too - its not ugly or in your face, and if your chimney pot hole is less that 280mm, i would whole heartedly recommend.

Radflek Radiator Reflectors (3 Sheets, Fits 3-6 Radiators) (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Radflek Rad reflectors (6 pack), 22 Jun 2012
Given it 4 stars as not had chance to see how good the reflection is...and we haven't had a winter in our new home yet to fully see its warmth effectiveness. But if its as good as described we should be nice and toasty this coming winter.

The 6 radiator pack could be mis-leading, its 3 sheets of a shiny material thats like really REALLY thick bacofoil, one side is very conveniently marked up with squares for easier cutting to size. we managed to fully line 3 of our big radiators (the gap between brackets on our 3 radiators varied between 32 inches and 46 inches) with 2 off-cuts and clever usage of a 4th bracket we managed to get a fourth radiator seen to.....which was very handy for us as have 4 rads on outside walls. Therefore, there was very little wastage and we only had to cut about 2 inches from the bottom of the sheets, as our radiators aren't that tall.

Extremely easy instructions - anyone could do it. The creasing of the material was quite hard to ease out, but if you lay the sheets on a hard floor or dining table you can push your thumb along the crease line to semi flatten, they recommend removal once a year for a quick dust off to improve the reflection in successive years.

I can really see the potential in this product time will tell, and i will update on what i think of the imprived warmth factor.

Weber Compact 47cm Charcoal BBQ Black
Weber Compact 47cm Charcoal BBQ Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Weber 47 cm Compact BBQ, 30 May 2012
This simply is the best charcoal bbq we have owned. Extremely easy to assemble, my husband used socket (size 11) for tightening the nuts - careful not to over tighten on the vents or you can't open/close them with ease. It looks very stylish, and despite its realitvely small size it cooks a surprising amount - so far have cooked 2 racks of ribs, a whole spatchcocked chicken, and a whole leg of lamb butterflied - not all at the same time! meat remains so moist, perfect authentic bbq flavour unlike the gas varieties. I do have one gripe though - as you can cook using 2 methods - direct and indirect - it would have been nice if Weber, included a "drip" tray for the indirect cooking method, which is what i use for cooking the chicken and lamb. so do arm yourself with plenty of strong tin foil, or, the medium (for the 47cm) sized tin foil containers (large take away containers). It is very portable and lightweight - and it fed 6 easily, could have done more.

Hugo Boss Femme Eau de Parfum Spray for Women 50 ml
Hugo Boss Femme Eau de Parfum Spray for Women 50 ml
Offered by Online Beauty Buys

4.0 out of 5 stars Hugo Boss - Femme, 14 May 2012
I love this perfume anyway, and needed - yes i "needed" some more. Good price, and quick delivery. I do not want to cast aspersions, but I am worried about the genuineness of the product - as my exisiting bottles, from high street stores - have the word "femme" on the shoulder of the bottle, under where the top fits on. The smell is exactly right, the aroma does last too, the colour is exactly right - just that slight difference in the bottle - but that could be a newer design of the bottle I am not sure. Good value pricing for a wonderful smell.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2014 1:13 PM GMT

Norton Antivirus 2012, 1 Computer, 1 Year Subscription (PC)
Norton Antivirus 2012, 1 Computer, 1 Year Subscription (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Norton Security 2012, 14 May 2012
Not the first time i have brought Norton from this supplier. Not much to really say - it does what it says on the tin. Very good customer service, excellent delivery, and so far excellent product. So easy to install too - slide the disc in and click a few buttons, type in your long code - and away you go, safe for another 12 months.

M&C Green-UM Lawn Burn Control New for Dogs (250 Tablets)
M&C Green-UM Lawn Burn Control New for Dogs (250 Tablets)
Offered by CC Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars a little miracle, 17 April 2012
i was so sceptical about this product - especially after trying the dog rocks, my dog is a fussy thing - she will drink out of the muddiest yuckiest puddles - but anything in her water bowl other than water and she will turn her nose up.

I so wanted to try something/anything to stop her wee's killing my lawn (especially before we moved to a much smaller garden) -I saw these, and thought yeah yeah!! mumbo jumbo - but worth the money to give it a go - it was hard to tell if these little "miracle pills" worked at our old address as the grass was so awful - but she was on these for about 4-5 weeks before we moved - and i have to say - a further 4 weeks later in new home - we have a dog wee dead spot/patches free lawn. I am amazed - it really does work - my dog has to have 2 tabs a day for her weight, which is handy as she has one in the morning with her breakfast and one in the late afternoon for her dinner - she is fed on dry complete dog food - and she just eats the tablets, in fact she hunts them out as she obviously loves the taste, first lol. they smell a little like marmite/proper real ale - quite yeasty - and apparently they are chicken flavoured too. I shall be getting another bottle of this product when i am getting low.

Update on review..... 7 weeks into our new property, and sadly i have to report that the burn/dead patches are plaguing us again, however, i am loathed to stop my dog using these tablets as i am wondering would the patches be worse without her having these tablets? what a quandry???

further update...... 4 months now - and the burn patches are definitely fading and growing back (tad slowly, but they are reviving) - not noticed "new" patches for a while. it looks like this does really work.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2013 11:40 AM GMT

Morphy Richards Accents 47094 Digital Filter Coffee Maker, Red
Morphy Richards Accents 47094 Digital Filter Coffee Maker, Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Morphy Richards Accents (red) digi coffee maker, 8 April 2012
This makes a smashing cup of filter coffee - it has a lovely blue dial (the round thing in the middle of the red front) which has a clock on it, and an indicator as to how long a full pot of coffee has been left to keep warm. I have had my maker for 4 months now - and the hot plate really does keep coffee "hot" a good hour after finishing the brew. The glass jug is an excellent size, with good pouring spout - one of the best we have owned that doesn't spill coffee as you pour. I do have to pull it out from under the wall units to fill the machine up - as the top flap when open makes the machine quite tall, but that for me is no inconvenience. its fairly quiet too, and the blue light lights up the kitchen well at night time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4