Profile for D Roege > Reviews

Brilliant Bread
Brilliant Bread
by James Morton

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Bread: aptly named, 29 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Brilliant Bread (Hardcover)
New to breadmaking and only tried a few recipes so far, but the results have been brilliant. I have so much more confidence to work from recipes or to try new things because the explanations are so useful.

Mastery (The Robert Greene Collection)
Mastery (The Robert Greene Collection)
by Robert Greene

5.0 out of 5 stars Scholarly and unapologetic, 11 Feb. 2013
Years ago I stumbled across Greene's Art of Seduction and was too distracted by its novelty to give it any real attention. Having picked up Mastery on a whim to keep me occupied during a weekend trip, I discovered a book of the elusive quality that demands to be read - on the train, during lunch, before bed... when other things really should have priority...

I love reading, but all too often I find that an author's style or lack of understanding condemns books to be abandoned after a few pages. Once Mastery was read, I found myself digging out the copy of The Art of Seduction from the box it had been stored in last time I moved. Halfway through I am already looking greedily at Greene's other books, trying to persuade myself that it will be worth delaying the pleasure of reading them until after payday.

Greene clearly understands and practices the principles that he details. He seduces the reader, persuades us that we are inherently masters of our own world: unique and powerful. The immediacy of the account is at once disarming and devastating. Staring into the vast stretch of history, we find our own contexts and there is no where to disguise our own weaknesses.

I had the excellent fortune of reading this volume at a timely point in my life. I have no doubt that there will be those who feel their ambitions crystallise as they turn the pages as well as others who feel lukewarm about its contents. I, for one, could fault it on a couple of technical counts, but refuse to do so on the grounds that it was so mesmerising and practical.