Profile for TF > Reviews

TF

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the real deal, 26 July 2011
Although I ordered this item expecting a genuine HTC product, I actually received something that looked exactly like ASIN: B0026M2JIG USB 2.0 A to Micro B Data Cable for Mobile Devices USB 2.0 A to Micro B Data Cable for Mobile Devices. If I knew this is what I was going to get I could have bought it for nearly half the price. I suspect you will need to buy this directly from Amazon and not the Marketplace to be sure of getting the real thing.

The lead as supplied does appear to work.

Edimax IC-7000PTN Wireless 802.11n Dual Mode Pan/Tilt Internet Camera With 1.3M Pixels Lens

4.0 out of 5 stars Good IP camera, best results with Internet Explorer, 11 July 2011
The Edimax IC 7000ptn is a versatile IP camera which produces high quality images. I added one to a set of Panasonic cameras and was immediately impressed by the quality of the images it produced, far better colour than the Panasonics and better in difficult lighting conditions. Note that this is a 1.3 megapixel camera but the comparisons were made with the Edimax set to 0.3 MP, which is the same as the Panasonics.

Setup and remote operations have to be made on Internet Explorer as the Edimax needs ActiveX. This is one of the camera's major shortcomings from my point of view. A setup disk is supplied with the camera but I did not use this or any of the other supplied software. There is supposedly an iphone app for remote viewing but it's very crude and only worked the first time I set it up, but not subsequently.

The Edimax has a built-in DDNS server but requires the user to have an account with dyndns.org to view from the web. This is not difficult to set up but the free service from dyndns.org requires access at least once every thirty days or your registered domain will expire and you will need to set it up again. This is one area where Panasonic reigns supreme as they offer their own web hosting service which is free and does not expire.

The camera can be set to trigger on motion detection and send notifications, including images according to pre-defined settings. In operation, the response time of the camera was so slow that the triggering person was clear by the time the image had been created, so if you want this camera for intruder security purposes you will need to ask your intruder to stand still for at least 5 seconds in order to get his (or her) picture! This is another area where the Panasonic cameras excel.

The Edimax runs much hotter than the Panasonics.

I would therefore recommend the Edimax to Internet Explorer users who want to be able to remotely monitor a location and do not intend to make serious use of the triggering features.

After updating the firmware to v1.52 I am able to get some functionality on OSX with Chrome - the sound and one or two features such as Motion Area are unavailable but it is now usable on a Mac. It is not viable with Safari though.

Panasonic BL-C101E Home Network Camera
Panasonic BL-C101E Home Network Camera

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid no frills IP camera from a leading brand, 21 April 2011
The BL C101 is an entry level product in the Panasonic Network Camera range. I bought it to add to an existing set of Panasonic BL C131 IP cameras which I have had for over a year but which are currently unavailable in the UK. In fact Panasonic discontinued all of their domestic IP cameras about a year ago but have quietly reintroduced a limited product range recently. Unfortunately they do not yet include the budget Pan/Tilt models (BL C111 and BL C131) which are the ones I would have bought. Still, if I had not gone with Panasonic I would have to choose from a brand I'd never heard of or a bargain budget brand and while this may have been cheaper, I prefer Panasonic.

It only took me about 15 mins from removing the BL C101 from the box to having it installed and accessible from the Web. I set it up from a Mac so could not use any of the software that came supplied with the camera but as I've set up a lot of Panasonics in my time I could just do it from experience.

This camera uses power over ethernet (PoE) rather than it's own power supply but the necessary hardware is included in the box EXCEPT the two Cat 5e leads you will have to supply yourself to complete the installation. Once fired up it is accessible and can be configured from any browser. On my system the camera defaulted to the highest available network address so I knew where to find it without the suppled search utility. Panasonic provide their own DDNS Web service for the camera so you simply register with this and will be offered a web address in the form cam123456.viewnetcam.com. You can change the cam123456 bit BEFORE you accept any settings to a name of your choice (if it's available) but you can also change the name later through the online account you create. You can also choose your own DDNS service instead if you like.

Image quality is okay but remember this is 0.3 MP so you will not see huge levels of detail but the colour is good in normal light. It does not perform at lower light levels though.

The camera includes a microphone (but no speaker) so you can hear as well as see what is going on. However, the sound and zoom functions only seem to work in Internet Explorer. Everything else works in all the browsers I have tried (Safari and Firefox).

The default port for accessing an IP camera from the Web is usually port 80. If you have more than one IP camera you will need to set up different ports for the extra ones if you want to reach them from outside your network. The port is set on the camera then also allowed in your router's port forwarding. So if you have chosen for example port 1234 and port 12345 for your two extra cameras, your network addresses will be something like 192.168.2.253:1234 and 192.168.2.252:12345 and your web addresses may be something like mycam1.viewnetcam.com:1234 and mycam2.viewnetcam.com:12345.

There are a number of trigger settings which can be configured to do things like send an e-mail alert if the camera is set off. It can also stream images to external storage like a NAS for example so you can have a record of triggering events.

It's all good!

MacBook Pro 15inch 2.4GHz (Intel Core i5, 4Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 256 MB, SD card slot, Intel HD Graphics, up to 9 hour battery life)
Offered by IHI
Price: £1,799.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A machine that makes you feel both special and somewhat guilty at spending all that money, 17 Mar. 2011
You cannot fail to be impressed by the Macbook Pro. Hewn from a solid lump of aluminium, etc. etc. With a fantastic look and feel, combined with a stunning display (albeit highly reflective unless you pay even more for a matt finish) this is a first class piece of kit. It's also my first Mac, after 25 years of mainly Microsoft based PC's. It was Vista that finally drove me to splash out three times the money than I spent on my equally excellent 17" Dell Vostro, so that I could be free from the terrible problems that Microsoft operating systems have been causing my network recently.

Strangely enough, my first experiences were negative. Switching the Macbook Pro on for the first time out of the box it carried out a system update of over 1GB. This fatally crashed i-tunes in such a way that it would not uninstall without me spending two hours on various help desks and forums to see how I could tease out all the i-tunes remnants that remained in the various user accounts I had only just set up. That done it carried out another 1 GB plus update including a working i-tunes.

After that things were better but not perfect enough to justify the high price for the laptop. Adobe Flash and certain pdf's crash Safari or Firefox and can only be viewed in various virtual Windows machines that I am running. Unfortunately, running these VM's loads the processor which causes the base of the machine to heat up more than I would like. Battery life is around 3 hours, under this usage, which is about one-third of that claimed. In fact the longer battery life is only achievable when running the screen in dimmed mode and the Mac is doing little more than light web browsing. So why would you buy a machine like this for minimal duties like that?

All that aside, using the Macbook Pro is a very pleasing experience. It is very strong on audio-visual apps and fine for everyday browsing and non-processor intensive computing. It lacks a separate numeric keypad, in common with all Macs, so it's not aimed at number crunchers or scientists (like me!) but to be fair, this is the now defunct 15.4'' laptop format which does not traditionally have numeric keypads. It's just that I have a bit of a gripe that even the 27'' Apple Desktop only comes with a titchy non-numeric keyboard. Too much style, not enough substance.

So all things considered if I could still get Windows XP machines I would stick with Microsoft. We are locked into Microsoft Office 2010 in our office but are hesitant on 2011 for Mac because of the bad reviews it has received on Amazon. I have not tried Windows 7 and I resent paying a fortune for Apple hardware. I can see that much of what I pay on Apple is to support their enormous corporate overhead of luxurious highly-staffed shops, just pop into the Apple Store in Covent Garden if you want to see what I mean. Or maybe I am just an old misery guts!

So to try and summarise; if you are not worried by the expense, are not a power-user and not heavily locked in to Office 2010 or 2007 then I would wholeheartedly recommend the Macbook Pro.

If on the other hand, you are a number cruncher, or you will be heavily loading the processor and you do not have deep pockets then maybe you should avoid these expensive, stylish machines. Why buy a Rolls Royce when a Ford Focus would do?

Edimax ES-3208P 8 Port Fast 802.3/802.3u 10/100Mbps Ethernet Switch
Edimax ES-3208P 8 Port Fast 802.3/802.3u 10/100Mbps Ethernet Switch

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value Budget Network Switch, 22 Sept. 2010
I bought this switch to add extra connectivity to my router, which only has one port. Adding the Edimax increases the effective number of ports to seven. I connected the two pieces of equipement together with a crossover cable but as the Edimax auto-senses I could have used a straight through. It worked as sonn as I connected it up and I really just forgot about it after that!

Recommended.

Netgear EVA 9150 Wireless "N" MultiMedia Streamer with 500GB Hard Drive - Full HD 1080p

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid piece of kit but not for novices, 1 Sept. 2010
Are you the sort of person who thrives on a technical challenge? Who likes to overcomplicate things? Who builds computers from components and runs Linux successfully, having spent many months contributing to specialist forums to overcome untold technical problems that you encountered along the way? If so then the Netgear Digital Entertainer Elite is just for you!

Any piece of kit that spawns a huge number of threads on the Netgear Support Forums must have a lot wrong with it. For a start, it does not do what it says on the box. Mine has never streamed Youtube, even though it is one of the first claims in the literature. It is also very hit and miss as to which AV formats it will play. Unfortunately for me, it does not play the VOB files created by my Panasonic DVD recorders, which means I have to convert them all, which is a big job. It has played other VOB files from other media, so it's not all bad.

To be honest, I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with this piece of kit. Being positive, it is a well-made solid metal lump that stacks with standard AV and hi-fi components. It has dual band wireless connectivity and a useful 500GB drive. Setting it up on the network could not have been easier. You will need to install software on at least one PC to complete the setup. The unit will then be able to stream media from that PC as well as any DLNA enabled device. It will also enable you to remotely access and control any PC on which the client software is installed. Clever!

The Netgear Digital Entertainer works very well with my Netgear ReadyNAS Duo on which all my media is stored, so I do not need a PC running to stream media to the TV.

Various RSS podcasts are built in but not all of them worked for me. However, I hunted around and found some more which I could add. These feeds enable streaming of various media such as international newscasts; if that's the sort of thing you are interested in. I also found one from Comedy Central if the news gets too depressing.

The Netgear Digital Entertainer (NDE) comes with a better than average multi-function remote control which can be configured to control three other devices. You can also add additional NDE's around the house and they will all work in harmony. Given the learning curve required to get these things optimised, it does make sense to get another to make use of all the time you will spend tearing your hair out. I did! So now I can watch movies, listen to my music collection, look at all my photographs, watch NBC news podcasts (and many others) on my two plasma screens. It also comes with pre-coded messages you can send to other NDEs around the house, such as "Dinner!" and "Come Here". You can make up your own messages too. Handy if you want to annoy your partner.

So, for the unadventurous, I would stay away from this and other media streaming devices (with the possible exception of the AppleTV). Personally, I have quite enjoyed the battle and have been delighted with the NDE when it has worked successfully. However, I have to say that you should not expect the product development or support from Netgear that you would get from companies like Panasonic, Sony or Apple. Having spent a lot of time in the support forums I do feel (personal opinion) that Netgear abandons it's customers to their fate when it should be taking action to resolve their problems.

Panasonic ES7102A511 Men's Rechargeable Shaver - Blue and Silver
Panasonic ES7102A511 Men's Rechargeable Shaver - Blue and Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate shaver, 31 July 2010
I have been very impressed with the Panasonic ES7102A511. I have a difficult beard which only Braun shavers have managed to deal with in the past. However, this Panasonic is able to shave off several days' growth without difficulty. I like being able to rinse it under the tap rather than spend a fortune on special cleaning equipment and fluids. As Panasonic suggests shaving under the shower they have had to make the shaver work only off the built in cells rather than directly off the mains. Not such a problem as the LED charge indicators work well and it charges quite quickly.

Just one word of caution though, the performance does deteriorate a little after a couple of months or so but still five-star at the price.

Belkin WIRELESS N BUNDLE * F5D8053/F5D8633-4A
Belkin WIRELESS N BUNDLE * F5D8053/F5D8633-4A

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard to like, 26 July 2010
I obtained one of these sets from a well-known online competitor to amazon.co.uk. As soon as I tried to set it up I discovered the power supply plug was the wrong size for the power input on the rear of the router. I also discovered from online forums and reviews that this is a well-known problem for units purchased from my supplier. I contacted Belkin email customer support. A day later they replied suggesting I should BUY a new power supply at an electrical shop such as Radioshack. How ridiculous they would not replace it at their expense - they might as well have suggested that I buy a new router from a better company such as Draytek or Billion!

As I had paid so little for the unit I wanted to keep it rather than send it back for a mere refund. I took both the router and the power supply to my local Maplin. They soon found an adapter to solve the problem and even powered it up in the shop to see that it worked. What brilliant service from Maplin. The part I used cost GBP 1.49 and is a DC Plug Adapter LG51 AY.

Having done all this I was able to actually use and try out the router. It has a nice clear interface which was easy to set up. Mine has been very tetchy though. It won't show wireless DHCP clients correctly and often hangs for ages before failing to display this screen correctly. It does not get on at all well with my Intel wireless adapter which fails to find the network and has to be forced to look and connect (which it should do automatically). It then frequently drops the Intel off the network. It works well with my Atheros adapters though. The signal range is not great on wireless G, nothing like as good as the free Siemens router that came from my broadband supplier. The unit runs very hot.

So would I recommend it? Well it depends. I paid under one-third of the high street price so for me it's worth keeping it to use as a spare or even a plain network switch. I doubt it will last long because it runs so hot so I would say for mission critical applications pay the money for a Draytek or Billion router.

Vigor AP-700 Access Point
Vigor AP-700 Access Point

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact Access Point, 19 July 2010
I bought the Draytek Access Point as a client for my existing wireless network so that I could add wireless connectivity to wired components.

Setting up proved to be swift and easy. I did not actually read the instructions because it just worked as soon as I connected it to my router using a LAN cable (not supplied). The default network address is 192.168.1.2, which was compatible with my network setup, and the interface is simple to follow if you understand what you are trying to do. I did not look at the CD which came with the unit.

I would add that this product appears similar to the Edimax EW-7416APN, which I also own. Although the physical units appear different, the interfaces are all but identical except for the branding and the default IP address which is 192.168.2.1 on the Edimax. The Edimax is nearly half the price so next time round I would be more likely to get the cheaper product, although for me setup would require a bit more work as the IP settings will need to be changed at some stage to work on my network (but not necessarily on someone else's).

The Draytek is currently working faultlessly (as is the Edimax).

Draytek AP-700 802.11n MIMO Wireless Access Point
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 19, 2012 9:35 AM BST

Edimax EW-7416APN Wireless Access Point/Range Extender with 2T2R MIMO Technology
Offered by HometownTV UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value Access Point, 13 July 2010
I bought the Edimax Access Point as a repeater for my existing wireless network. Having read the mixed reviews on setting it up I downloaded the setup guide from the Edimax website before ordering the device itself from Amazon. The guide seemed completely straightforward and was well written in clear concise English. I would recommend anyone considering the purchase of this Access Point should also look at this guide.

Setting up proved to be swift and easy following the instructions in the guide. In fact the setup is pretty much identical to the Draytek AP700 which costs nearly twice as much. The only difference apart from branding is the pre-assigned default web address. On the Edimax this is 192.168.2.1 whereas on the Draytek it is 192.168.1.2. So I expect that most people have a 50% chance of finding setup a doddle or nigh on impossible. If your network addresses are typically 192.168.1.x then you will need to follow the instruction to change the properties of your TCP/IP settings to match the Edimax. As far as I can see this is the only slightly fiddly part as it is done with the AP connected directly to your PC (not the router). I managed to set the Draytek up wiring it directly to my router and without ever reading the instructions simply because it had a default IP address that was compatible with my network. Personally I would favour the Edimax on price over the Draytek.

The Edimax is currently working faultlessly (as is the Draytek).
Edimax EW-7416APN Wireless 802.11n Access Point - Range extender