Profile for S. Hartshorne > Reviews

Content by S. Hartshorne

S. Hartshorne "Joschiedog" (Midlands, UK)

24 Cell Self Watering Propagator
24 Cell Self Watering Propagator
Offered by Garden Selections

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing ever, 8 July 2014
This review is from: 24 Cell Self Watering Propagator
I have tried a number of things in the past to grow my shoots. I mainly grow chilli plants. Believe me, I have tried so many different methods. I have tried a heated propagator a few times/years, with varying success. I bought this and decided to plant five seeds of differing variety of chilli's in the self watering propagator, five seeds in the heated propagator and some from my left over seeds in those cardboard type things. The upshot (as it is now July and I planted in Feb/Mar), is that I'm going to throw away my heated propagator as it is useless. The cardboard thingy's can be a back-up, but I am going to buy me another one of these. With this, I have had the most and best success ever. The results have been fantastic, to the point that some of the more delicate chillies (Naga) that take a long time to grow (if you can get them growing at all) are now likeTriffids, and are starting to show flowers/fruit already. Best thing ever!!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot to Trot, 8 July 2014
I've had such problems in the past trying to grow Naga Jolokia, to the point that all my attempts have failed. I received these, well packaged on line, and am the proud daddy of a few (not all I have to admit, but then I'm not TV green fingers gadgy) plants that have just started to sprout their first fruits. God knows what I'm going to do with the chilli's as they will be incredibly hot, but I'm determined to use them.

SanDisk SDSDQM-008G-B35 8 GB Class 4 MicroSDHC Card (Label May Change)
SanDisk SDSDQM-008G-B35 8 GB Class 4 MicroSDHC Card (Label May Change)
Offered by Flashmemo-Uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little memory card that had no problems when I ..., 8 July 2014
Great little memory card that had no problems when I loaded it straight from the package into my new Garmin and loaded all the extra maps and camera database into it.

BAXXTAR NEW V3 Digital Camera Bag Case (black) for Canon PowerShot SX700 SX600 SX280 SX270 SX260 S120 IS - Nikon Coolpix AW120 S31 S32 S9700 S9600 S9500 - Samsung WB150F WB250F WB350F -- Sony CyberShot DSC HX50V HX60V RX100 -- Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ60 TZ55 TZ40 TZ35 -- Kodak Easyshare Sport C123 C135 -- Fujifilm FinePix F900EXR L55 F550 F770EXR T200 -- Olympus VR-340 -- Casio Exilim EX ZR400 ZR1000 etc.
Offered by Bundlestar*

5.0 out of 5 stars Case in Point, 8 July 2014
Great little case for my camera. Keeps the strap and spare battery in the same case. Quite bulky so won't fit in pocket (jeans pocket) but I did expect that when I purchased. My reason for purchase was to protect my new camera, and it hasn't disappointed.

Icy Beer Mugs (set of 2)
Icy Beer Mugs (set of 2)
Offered by Urban Gifts

1.0 out of 5 stars Cracking purchase, 8 July 2014
Put these in the freezer, and when nice and frozen, got one of my home brew beers. Poured it into the Icy beer mug and it cracked as I was pouring the beer in. Didn't even last one drink.

Black Cow Vodka 70 cl
Black Cow Vodka 70 cl

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be called Holy Cow not Black Cow, as that's what I said when I first tried this, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Black Cow Vodka 70 cl (Grocery)
I don't ordinarily buy or drink Vodka, leaning more towards a nice single malt, so I am by no means a connoisseur. So what's the deal with me writing this then! At the winter Good Food show in Birmingham last year I was drawn in by what the seller/producer was saying about the product and how it was made. I was intrigued. He tempted me to try one of the samples which I was reluctant to do at first, as I truly don't like vodka much, but did give it a go as he assured me it would be different to any vodka I'd tried before. He wasn't wrong, and I'll put my hands up, I was surprised. This is the smoothest, most creamiest drink that just literally tantalises the tastebuds. I can't believe how much I like this, and have given to likewise sceptical friends who have since gone out and bought some. For me, the best way to drink is just a small glass and nothing else, room temperature and just sip and enjoy it. My friend was adamant it should be drunk chilled from the freezer, but to be honest he's admitted different after trying that method. If you love vodka, then I think you will really like this. If you hate vodka, find someone who has a bottle, or if you see it in a bar/bistro (don't think you'll find it in a pub) then give just one small glass a go, I think you'll be surprised like me.

Apple ME294B/A 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Intel Quad Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB HDD, Iris Pro Graphics, GeForce GT 750M 2GB, Mac OS X)
Offered by Jeganology
Price: £1,999.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Too good to be true, 14 Feb 2014
Don't get me wrong, having been a windows man for all of my life, it took a great deal of self-searching to make the bold decision to move to Apple. I received the MacBook Pro in the post, and was excited to play with it straight away. You know what it's like, kid with a new toy and all that. So when I got it out of the box, (this is why I gave it a three. It was going to be a two star, but I relinquished as I know this review is about the item and not the vendor, but I had to have my rant somehow).
Anyway, when I got it out of the box, the keyboard was a US keyboard. My fault I guess for going through Amazon to a vendor that gave no indication on the site whatsoever that they were from Hong Kong!! So my advise is if you want to buy, then thoroughly research to ascertain where the vendor comes from. That said, after my frustration and disappointment, I realised I could buy a UK Bluetooth keyboard to work with the MacBook (at extra cost of course).
But onto the review itself. Like I say, having been on Windows all my life, I was really diving deep in going to Apple, but I was tired of all the constant updates (one of which set my Lenovo back to factory settings). When I switched the MacBook on for the first time, it booted up the fastest I have ever seen anything (fantastic). It comes loaded with tonnes of stuff, to the point for me personally, I have not had to buy anything new or extra to complement the suite that it comes with. The only thing I have loaded is Microsoft Office, but because I have Office 365 I can download to five devices and it doesn't matter if it's Windows or Apple Mac, so it downloaded straight away and I'm up and running. It found my wireless system straight away, password entered and I was off.
A couple of months ago I bought a Seagate drive to connect to my wireless router to create my own mini cloud for my house. I have continually struggled with my Windows to find and connect to this device, so resorted to unplugging from the router and plugging into my device to use as a standalone backup system. When I connected the MacBook Pro to the wireless network, it saw the device straight away, so now I have my own mini cloud with all of my iTunes, pictures etc, that I can stream to my TV through AirPlay from the Mac, Superb!! That alone gives a five start, but I'm still angry about the vendor part, so it remains three (you have to go with me on this one).
I have to say, the only thing I have had to buy extra is a separate DVD drive as it doesn't come with one. OK, the cost is a bit of a bummer, but I have it now, and I'm not complaining. You can see why they don't put one in the device though, it is so sleek and looks absolutely fabulous. The battery is outstanding and lasts for hours. I have the 512Gbyte solid state and that helps with the speed which is awesome. Finally from me, the screen. This is the Retina Pro, and having never had a Mac I can't compare, but I can compare to my old Windows laptop. The screen on the MacBook is stunning. I have watched Sky go programmes, run the odd little game and worked on some complex spreadsheets for my work, and it does not disappoint in any way at all. My guess is, to replicate this in Windows you would have to buy an ever increasing (tech, memory and cost) graphics cards, which means an expensive high end machine to be anywhere comparable.
So, my apologise once again for the three stars, but I really am the happiest person right now, and am glad to have made the move to Apple. When my main PC in the house (the Lenovo) gets old and dies, I will seriously think about getting an Apple desktop to replace it, as I now know by owning the MacBook, that yes the cost is high, but you truly are getting quality.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2014 11:45 AM BST

Countdown to Mathematics: v. 1
Countdown to Mathematics: v. 1
by D. Sargent

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reference, 17 Nov 2009
Countdown to Mathematics: v. 2I am doing an OU degree of which mathematics is part of the syllabus. Volume two of this book is recommended, which I purchased and am really happy with, but because I hadn't worked with maths for such a long time there was something missing. So I purchased volume one, and it has been really helpful in filling in the blanks. The book is well constructed, gradually taking you through the basics, and then leading you into more advanced work. The book is well illustrated and has lots of exercise to help you along. Highly recommneded if you haven't worked with mathematics for a long time, or like me, just didn't really get it at school.