Profile for R. Stadler > Reviews

Petulia (Import)
Offered by Prestivo2
Price: 17.69

2.0 out of 5 stars Review of the Spanish DVD, *not* the film, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: Petulia (Import) (DVD)
In 2006, Warner released a pristine new, anamorphically enhanced transfer of thic classic on a region-1 (US) DVD. Usually they follow suit with an equally pristine (sometimes even better) region-2/PAL version (Casablanca, the Thin Man series, North by Northwest, and countless others).
This region-2 disc (released in 2008 and showing the Warner logo), however, contains a mediocre, lack-lustre, not anamorphically-enhanced transfer of the film. This just as a warning to those who think they can make a bargain here: On DVD, stick to the Warner region-1 edition of this film.

To make sure, the ASIN code of the offending DVD: B0053CAF0U

(BTW - It is not my fault that Amazon places this review with all versions of the film)

North By Northwest [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
North By Northwest [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Cary Grant
Offered by supermart_usa
Price: 8.39

3.0 out of 5 stars 2009 (region 1) DVD a huge disappointment, 19 Mar 2013
I love this film to bits. In fact, it may be my favourite film. This 2009 DVD re-issue still gets only three points, tough. Why?
Simply because the video quality of the original Warner 2001 region-2 release is far superior in every respect. And I don't mean the colour palette, which has shifted from a warm reddish hue to a colder bluish one.
I originally bought this thinking (quite justifiably so) that it would sport an even better transfer than the old DVD. Slightly taken aback after viewing it, I put the two DVDs in my computer and made scene-for-scene screenshot comparisons (which, unfortunately, I cannot upload on here). For better comparison, I blew the screenshots up to 1080p.
The results: The 2009 DVD is a rather blurry affair with far (far!) less detail than the 2001 release. This is noticeable in every single screenshot, of which I took many because I couldn't really believe what I saw. I do not think this is simply a PAL vs. NTSC matter. Usually - if the transfer is done correctly - the differences between the two formats in terms of picture quality are slight (if noticeable), not substantial and immediately apparent like in this case.
My recommondation: If you don't own the film on DVD already, get the 2001 edition. If you own the 2009 (r1) DVD - get the 2001 DVD for a couple of quid on here and prepare for a surprise.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2013 8:09 AM GMT

Wings Of Desire [DVD]
Wings Of Desire [DVD]
Dvd ~ Curt Bois
Offered by DVD Vault UK
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't get it ..., 14 Feb 2013
This review is from: Wings Of Desire [DVD] (DVD)
I've been through five pages of "reviews" now, and not a single one of them reviews the actual product, i.e. that particular DVD. For movie reviews I can (and will) definitely go somewhere else. I love Der Himmel über Berlin and am looking to upgrade my (rather crappy) Anchor Bay (2002) edition. There are numerous different DVD editions floating about - from crappy (mine) to pristine (Criterion?). Please, anybody who owns a version other than the Anchor Bay one, could you reply/comment and leave some info about especially the picture quality of your DVD, specifying what release you own. I would be forever grateful!
Thanks a million.
(Yes, I have searched the web, and what you find there is scarce and often outdated. Seems nobody cares about the quality of DVDs much anymore since the arrival of Blu-ray.)

12 Monkeys [DVD] [1996] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
12 Monkeys [DVD] [1996] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Bruce Willis
Offered by RAREWAVES USA
Price: 5.91

5.0 out of 5 stars What an accomplishment, 6 Feb 2013
One of the best SF films ever made, ranking right up there with Blade Runner et al. Also featuring Bruce Willis' best performance to date as the desperate and very vulnerable hero. In my opinion the last truly great SF film before the industry went into a coma sometime in the late nineties. If you have more than five DVDs in your collection, this film is a must.
My DVD of the film
had only a very mediocre picture, though. I checked various DVD comparison sites, and this one turned out the winner in terms of clearest picture:
And indeed on my setup (Oppo upscaling player and Toshiba 40-inch LCD) the difference in terms of clarity and color reproduction is striking. Not HD, of course, but much more film-like than the old blurry DVD.

Dog Day Afternoon - Special Edition [1975] [DVD]
Dog Day Afternoon - Special Edition [1975] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Al Pacino
Offered by WorldCinema
Price: 13.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic video quality on this Warner special edition, 30 Jan 2013
I'm sure other reviewers have said what there is to say about the film as such. Let me just rave about the truly mindboggling visuals this edition of "Dog Day Afternoon" delivers. The picture, in fact, is as good as the old restored Bonds (maybe even better) and rivals Warner's own 2000(!) editions of "North by Northwest" and "The Time Machine", the latter two the best transfers of older movies onto DVD I have seen so far. If you're even mildly interested - get this!

Seconds [1966]
Seconds [1966]
Dvd ~ Rock Hudson
Offered by MagicoClassicMovies
Price: 13.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Picture quality of this region-3 DVD appalling, 9 Nov 2012
This review is from: Seconds [1966] (DVD)
I ordered this item and it says region 3 on the back of the packaging, so I am not too sure about the "Region 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6" in the product description. But this doesn't bother me as my DVD player is region free. What does bother me, however, is the extremely low picture quality of this disc. The picture looks like an upscaled 320x240 avi file or something like that, blocky, highly pixelated and full of compression artefacts. Can't remember having seen such bad quality on any DVD before. Be warned.

Update 27 Jan. 2013:
I have just had another look at the DVD after reading the new somewhat positive review of this disc, and I fully stand behind my above comments. The picture is truly terrible. N.B.: on the back of the cover it says "anamorphic wide screen" - which is incorrect. But with such a "transfer" this doesn't matter anyway.
... just noticed that it also says "color" on the back of the cover ... ah well ...

Edit 3 March 2013:
My system: Oppo DV-983H connected via HDMI to Toshiba 40LV933G (40-inch) LCD TV

Edit 6 December 2013:
I see that Amazon has now wisely lumped together all reviews for "Seconds", so that mine also appears below the - doubtlessly pristine - Criterion edition. This review refers to this DVD of the film:
Seconds Rock Hudson
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2013 12:43 PM GMT

The Penguin Guide to Punctuation (Penguin Reference Books)
The Penguin Guide to Punctuation (Penguin Reference Books)
by R L Trask
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars The single most helpful reference book on English punctuation and related topics, 15 July 2008
As a native German and long-time anglophile I had been looking for something like this for ages. The author manages to convey his insights without any hint of intellectual stiffness or arrogance. At the same time one gets the impression he knows what he is talking about. But he is not dogmatic, either. He will freely acknowledge when his view differs from, say, common usage at publishing houses.
At the end of each chapter, there is a summary of the most important/basic rules for quick reference.
The "Penguin Guide to Punctuation" is highly informative as well as fun to read. Language scholarship at its best put to practical use. Highly recommended.