Profile for Lozza > Reviews

Content by Lozza

Lozza

The Church and the Last Things (Great Doctrines)
The Church and the Last Things (Great Doctrines)
by David Martyn Lloyd-Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book, 6 Aug 2014
Anyone wanting a single volume explaining the major doctrines of the Bible written by a truly great evangelical preacher should look no further. It all makes so much sense and is very readable. Probably the most illuminating book I have ever read after the Bible itself.

Bugs (Sounds of the Wild)
Bugs (Sounds of the Wild)
by Maurice Pledger
Edition: Pop-Up
Price: 11.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful bug book, 6 Aug 2014
This review is from: Bugs (Sounds of the Wild) (Pop-Up)
I bought this for my granddaughter's 5th birthday. It's brilliant and I've met the artist who is wonderfully talented. I have one small gripe - there is a typo. It should be "longhorn beetle" and not "longicorn beetle." Otherwise perfect.

Q-TV3 Compact Stereo SoundBar
Q-TV3 Compact Stereo SoundBar
Offered by Alphason Designs
Price: 200.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile purchase, 6 Aug 2014
This is not hi-fi, but is surprisingly capable and produces good quality sound. I purchased this because I have a 32" flat screen TV standing on a small Target table. It fits perfectly and looks like a quality piece of kit. When it arrived I used option 2 (phono to 3.3 mm Jack as the optical lead I had ordered had not arrived. This worked well. Once the optical cable arrived I used this (option 1). Initially I forgot to alter the TV's optical output to PCM mode and thus got no sound on HD channels. This was easily remedied and there was a definite improvement in sound over option 2. I have tried using the optical audio output from the tivo set top box, but the sound is not synchronised with the TV. So the output on the TV is the best bet. For general use I have the bass off and the EQ settings off and use the film and the music settings when appropriate. What I don't like: The remote is small and fiddly and I wonder how durable it is, there are no controls on sound bar should the remote fail and there is an unpleasant "switching" noise when switching the TV off and changing HD channels. Otherwise a good buy.

Field Guide to the Birds of Australia
Field Guide to the Birds of Australia
by Nicolas Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for an Australian visit, 7 Mar 2013
I purchased a copy of this book some years ago for my son who has moved to Australia. That copy was, at the time, a brand new paperback. Prior to a visit in July 2012, I managed to purchase a second-hand copy via the Amazon market place as new copies were not available. I received a copy that had clearly been well thumbed, but was in very good condition and at a favourable price. The dust cover was still intact even though this was a third edition from 1998. What I particularly like about this copy is that it has a soft plastic cover which makes it much better for use in the field. I stopped in Hong Kong en route to Australia and all my luggage was soaked due to a typhoon, but this book simply wiped clean. It is well worth sourcing a copy with a plastic cover if you can find one. The guide itself is comprehensive with good illustrations and useful descriptions and maps on the facing pages. All bird guides should be like this.

Glinka: Ruslan and Lyudmila
Glinka: Ruslan and Lyudmila
Price: 16.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Russian Spectacular, 7 Mar 2013
One critic suggests that the libretto for this opera is flabby and unbalanced, the score is disjointed and the coloratura of one of the character's is out of place. All of this may be true, but given that the concept of opera is pretty bonkers, this matters not at all. The performance at this live performance is superb and the recording quality is excellent. Above all this opera is full of fabulous singing - one brilliant aria following another and with excellent dynamic choruses. Just brilliant! For those who must see their operas, I believe this is available on DVD.

Handel: Alessandro
Handel: Alessandro
Offered by MEGA Media FBA
Price: 17.13

4.0 out of 5 stars Good recording and performance, 11 Jan 2013
This review is from: Handel: Alessandro (Audio CD)
Having just received this CD from Amazon I was very disappointed that a proper libretto was not enclosed. There was instead an essay and a synopsis. This is NOT a libretto. The case of the CD does in fact state that a libretto is enclosed and this surely does not comply with trades description rules. This is not good enough. The recording itself sounds very good and the performance is very exciting.
UPDATE; Since my original comments I have discovered that the libretto was missing from the CD box. I have now received this libretto from Decca (thank you). I have also had some time to assess the recording in detail. There is much to enjoy about this opera. To my ears the recording possesses a warm and mellow tone, but there is no lack of detail. I have particularly enjoyed the singing of Xavier Sabata and Julia Lezhneva who I have not come across previously. This is a very enjoyable addition to my collection.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2013 2:37 PM GMT

Collonil Cream Polish for smooth leather Shoes Boots Handbags
Collonil Cream Polish for smooth leather Shoes Boots Handbags
Price: 3.49 - 12.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 21 May 2012
I have purchased some polish from this supplier previously. The shoe cream soaks into the leather for protection and the dye covers scuffs- it won't go hard in the container like normal wax polish or just lay on the surface of the leather like liquid polish. The product was despatched on the next working day. Why can't a British manufacturer produce and distribute a similar product?

Jansport Wheeled Duffelpack - Black, 76cm
Jansport Wheeled Duffelpack - Black, 76cm
Price: 67.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock solid, 3 May 2012
I bought this bag in January 2008 and have travelled round the world with it. In spite of baggage handlers best efforts it is only slightly scuffed here and there. I am over 6 ft tall and the extending handle is plenty long enough so I don't have to stoop. In use the bag is well balanced with a low centre of gravity and the wheels move freely and with minimal noise, so I rarely use a trolley at airports. It can hold hold a traveling fishing rod, reel and accessories, snorkeling gear and enough clothes for a 2 week holiday. The only minor grouse is that it does not stand up on end. Otherwise it's perfect.

The Symphonies
The Symphonies
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 21.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Sibelius, 23 April 2011
This review is from: The Symphonies (Audio CD)
The symphonies in this set sound so different to the norm. There is huge tension and drama - a breathtaking experience where you sit on the edge of your seats. There is no lush string tone (not that it's bad), but that doesn't matter. The music is raw and alive. I cannot recommend these discs highly enough. If anyone wants truly exciting music then they should buy this set. All the symphonies are good, but the highlights for me are the first and the fifth - magic!

Doctrine (RE: Lit: Vintage Jesus)
Doctrine (RE: Lit: Vintage Jesus)
by Mark Driscoll

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading, 2 Aug 2010
I have a number of other books on theology, but this one differs from most in being totally readable. Every evangelical Christian should read this. It may not be perfect, but it is absolutely invaluable.