Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Southampton, UK)

Ancillary Justice: 1 (Imperial Radch)
Ancillary Justice: 1 (Imperial Radch)
by Ann Leckie

3.0 out of 5 stars Overrated, 23 May 2015
Ancillary Justice combines some well explored concepts in a new and interesting way. With the exception of the strange, and seemingly pointless, focus on gender, I enjoyed the writing style. However, I did struggle with the concept of a society which has mastered faster than light travel, artificial intelligence, cybernetic implants, shared consciousness, etc., yet had an economy that relies on continual territorial expansion of habited planets. There were a number of similarly unexplained inconsistencies. The idea of a magic gun which can penetrate anything (to a certain depth only) but uses bullets also seemed an unlikely creation of an (even more) advanced culture.
This is not to say I didn't enjoy the book. I did. I shall probably read the sequel. I'm hoping it may fill in some of the many gaps. Unfortunately, the number of awards received suggested it was in a different league. I was expecting more.

Dauntless (The Lost Fleet Book 1)
Dauntless (The Lost Fleet Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Space soap opera, 25 Jan. 2015
I have to admit, I read the entire series. The third book is a particular drag (how many times can you repeat that up is above the plane...), the characters are poorly formed, the plot is transparent and there are major questions left unresolved. Despite all that, it is addictive reading. I feel as though I've spent a day watching Ricki Lake and, against all odds, enjoyed it immensely. The penultimate book is probably the highlight of the series but, just when you feel it is finally getting into it's stride, it is over. Would I read it again? No. However, if you're after an easy read that is entertaining then try it - you may just surprise yourself!

Daemon
Daemon
by Daniel Suarez

5.0 out of 5 stars Darknet post, 25 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Daemon (Paperback)
The concept behind both Daemon and its sequel, Freedom, is all too believable. The turn in the plot from first to second book is cleverly done and the majority of questions posed by Daemon are answered in Freedom. Personally, I would have liked greater clarity around the scope of the Daemon: in places, the idea that anyone, no matter how brilliant, could predict events so far in advance is stretched beyond reason. The level of autonomy of the Daemon is also unclear. However, these are minor gripes in an otherwise brilliantly constructed story.

**** / 4,103
Level 1 book critic.

Legacy: Eon Book 3
Legacy: Eon Book 3

1.0 out of 5 stars A poor end to the Eon series, 30 July 2012
I greatly enjoyed Eon and Eternity. By comparison, Legacy is dull. The book explores one paricular idea outlined in the first books which really doesn't justify an entire novel. The first half of the book could be summarised in a couple of pages. The lengthy build up of situations and characters is simply not required. The ending is nothing surprising and, quite frankly, not worth the effort of reading the preceding pages. If you enjoyed the first two books, I would strongly recommend avoiding the third.