Profile for PeterJay > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
River of the Dead: Crime Thriller
River of the Dead: Crime Thriller

5.0 out of 5 stars Gory but brilliant crime novel., 10 Sept. 2014
I really enjoyed this brilliant if rather gory well written crime novel. I couldn't put it down and finished it in three days. The ending did take me by surprise. I shall look forward to reading more Robert Pobi novels if they are as good as this especially if they again feature Hemingway and Phelps.

The Golden Hawk (Region 2)
The Golden Hawk (Region 2)
Dvd ~ Rhonda Fleming
Offered by Arco Celeste Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining pirate adventure., 22 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Golden Hawk (Region 2) (DVD)
An excellent Spanish DVD with the original English dialogue of Frank Yerby's best seller in glorious Technicolour. Pure hokum but quite entertaining. Flame haired Rhonda Fleming was always good to watch.

Growing Up Boeing: The Early Jet Age Through the Eyes of a Test Pilot's Daughter
by Rebecca Wallick

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book about Test Flying., 22 Aug. 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book about test flying at Boeing during the company's golden year's from the early fifties through to the mid eighties as seen through the eyes of the daughter of Boeing test pilot Lew Wallick. In some respects Lew was 'THE' test pilot at Boeing remaining always calm and in control whether test flying both military or commercial jets. He comes across as a very nice and personable man and a very good father to Rebecca and her brothers who seemed to have had an idyllic childhood growing up in the sixties. Having read through most of book and hearing nothing but good things about her father it came as a shock (to me as well as Rebecca) to read that he walked out on his wife on returning from a trip to China to demonstrate the Boeing 707 in 1973. It was the eve of the author's seventeenth birthday and she and her father were only reconciled two years later and which lasted until Lew died in 2004. Rebecca had not hinted at any problems between her parents. She writes very well and her descriptions of her early childhood and her father's test flying are excellent. Those certainly were the good old days and test flying was real 'seat of the pants' stuff along with its attendant dangers. Excellent technical descriptions and some hair raising encounters make this an entertaining read for all flying buffs.

The File On Thelma Jordon (Region 2)
The File On Thelma Jordon (Region 2)
Dvd ~ Wendell Corey, Paul Kelly Barbara Stanwyck
Offered by GREAT4DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Film Noir., 22 Aug. 2014
I have been trying to find this black and white film for ages as I remember seeing it way back in the fifties and thought it was one of Barbara Stanwyck's best performances as a femme fatale on a par with that in Double Indemnity. Wendell Cory, who unfortunately died at a very early age, also gives and excellent performance as the DA who falls for her charms which inevitably leads to his downfall. Made when Barbara Stanwyck, at her most glamorous, was at her peak and was 'THE FEMME FATALE' at that time. Her possibly only rival was Jane Greer. They don't make them like this any more. A excellent Spanish import with the original English dialogue. Excellent buy!

Fortune is a Woman
Fortune is a Woman

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Acted Thriller., 22 Aug. 2014
Having searched the website for a DVD of the same name I came across the book in your kindle store. I thoroughly enjoyed it as I did the old black and white film starring Jack Hawkins and Arlene Dahl which is not available on DVD. I remembered seeing the film back in the fifties and have always wondered why its never been released on DVD as it is an excellent well acted thriller concerning insurance fraud.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 26, 2015 8:55 AM GMT

Where the Truth Lies
Where the Truth Lies
by Rupert Holmes

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite novels., 8 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Where the Truth Lies (Paperback)
This is one of my favourite novels as well as one of my favourite movies. Rupert Holmes is also one of my favourite authors. Whether this story was based on the partnership of Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis I don't know but I found it a very interesting read with lots of twists and turns. I always like novels with a Hollywood background especially set in the 40's, 50's and 60's when I was growing up. For the same reason I like Megan Abbott's novels as well.
I couldn't put it down and couldn't wait to get to the end and I just like his writing style. Thoroughly recommended.

The Company of Shadows
The Company of Shadows
by Ruth Newman

4.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining and unusual read., 8 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Company of Shadows (Paperback)
I really enjoyed Ruth Newman's debut novel 'Twisted Wing' which I thought was brilliant. This is completely different being an entertaining and unusual read which I couldn't put down. Not quite as good as 'Twisted Wing' which was a hard act to follow but enjoyable all the same. I judge all novels the same way. If I can't put it down, can't wait to get to the end and then want to read it again then I rate the novel as brilliant and thoroughly recommend it and give it five stars.
This was not quite in that category but I would still recommend it. I think Ruth Newman is a very talented writer and I can't wait to read her next offering.

The Officer's Lover
The Officer's Lover
by Pam Jenoff

5.0 out of 5 stars A Really Enjoyable Read!, 6 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Officer's Lover (Paperback)
I bought this book on a whim as the cover caught my eye. Not knowing what to expect, I found I enjoyed it far more than I expected and couldn't put it down. Told from the point of view of the likeable main character Jordan, I found it an excellent read so much so that I have just purchased the sequel entitled 'The Hidden Affair'.
If the descriptions of what it was like attending Cambridge University are anything to go by, then I have certainly missed out by not going. It certainly sounded like a fun place to be at that time.
I think Pam Jenoff is a wonderful writer and I thorough recommend this book to everyone. I shall certainly take the time to read more of her novels.

Sudden Rain
Sudden Rain
by Maritta Wolff

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable novel., 4 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Sudden Rain (Paperback)
I bought this on a whim after reading the start of the first chapter online. I thoroughly enjoyed it and couldn't put it down and finished it in two or three days.

High-Flying Women: A World History of Female Pilots
High-Flying Women: A World History of Female Pilots
by Alain Pelletier

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on female pilots., 4 Aug. 2013
This is a very well illustrated book on female pilots throughout history with excellent photographs and short but succinct details of the lives of the more well known ones.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3