Profile for Isaac > Reviews

Content by Isaac

Isaac

[2 Way] iSolem [1080P FULL HD] 1x2 3D HDMI Switch Box (1 Input x 2 Output) - Splits HDMI Signals (Blu-Ray Player, PS3 / PS4, Xbox 360 / One, Sky HD, etc) to 2 HD Displays (HDTV / Plasma / LCD / Projector)
Offered by Brand Centre

4.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to record PS4, it does the job. For now..., 5 Mar. 2016
I bought this to use with my PS4 and AVerMedia Game Capture HD II. I also intend to try it out on my PS3 soon. As both devices have HDCP - although it can be turned off on PS4, this prevents the use of certain applications - I was looking for an inexpensive way to remove the HDCP while maintaining no loss in quality. There are many devices around which have mixed reviews on whether or not they can perform said function, including this product itself, but I gave it a shot anyway. It was ordered from a seller fulfilled by Amazon, so it wouldn't be difficult to return if there were any problems.

The packaging is a little different to that which is currently pictured. The unbranded box in the product listing instead has "iSolem" written on it, with a few other changes, so I assume this product is either a derivative of the pictured image or a copy. That immediately raised alarms, and it only got worse when I opened up the box to hear the device rattling. It was sitting fairly securely in a card frame, and pulling it out proved that there was indeed something small rattling inside. That said, the box is very light and the frame is a nice (metallic?) strong material. It is small and identical in appearance to the current listing's image, with the addition of the "iSolem" logo at the top left.

Bundled with the device is a tiny manual that less capable eyes will probably require a magnifying glass for, along with a USB power cable. There is no plug, so I assume you'll either have to provide one yourself or do what I did and plug it into a USB port. The manual... Isn't particularly reassuring. There are grammatical and spelling mistakes aplenty, with random capitalisation and non-capitalisation of various words. For example, "less loss of quality", "Before power on, pls check the connection line carefully. And make sure that all interfaces are normally connected" and "Non-Power-Connected - Check if the power adaptor head is truly and correctly inserted in the power socket." I did a little research into their provided website, [...], and discovered that it does not feature this product. I have no idea how such companies operate so I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

Anyway, after all that I was really hesitant to plug the blasted thing in. I envisioned scenarios of my PS4 bursting into flames, or the dreaded first-world problem of having to request a return from Amazon. Alas, I gritted my teeth and plugged the USB cable into my PS4. I fed my HDMI cable from the PS4 to the "INPUT" port of the device, then from the "OUTPUT2" port (I'm not sure why I chose 2, clearly in the panicking and stress my cognitive abilities were reduced) to my AVerMedia Game Capture HD II. From there it was connected to my TV. I booted my PS4 (note that the HDCP setting was enabled from before), at which point multiple green lights flared around the little device to show that it indeed had life. Still, something had rattled around inside when I handled it and I was exceedingly sceptical. Next I booted my capture device. Lo and behold, it worked! The plucky little blighter did indeed remove the HDCP protection, it was operating on power from one of the PS4's USB ports, and I noticed no loss in quality. In fact I took screenshots through the capture box (with HDCP turned off on the PS4 before plugging in my splitter for the first shot, and HDCP turned on with the cables going through the splitter for the second) and after much flicking between the two I could see no difference besides the time on the PS4's clock. I booted Rocket League to test if there was any latency, and from what I could tell there was none, even though it was passing through two devices on its way to the TV. I have not tested it with two active outputs so I cannot verify if there is any loss of quality or latency in such a situation, however.

I can only comment on this device from this one test, so I cannot yet say how long it will last. If it does break I will try and remember to update this review (you can do that, right?). For now though, thank you iSolem for giving me a device that seems to do the job I was looking for. In spite of the beads of sweat that rushed down my palm as I tested the device out, with more concern for whether or not it would explode than simply if it would work, I am relatively satisfied with the product.

That said, I highly recommend that you buy this through a seller that makes returns easy, just in case yours does turn out to be a mini bomb.

Tell Me How You Died [Explicit]
Tell Me How You Died [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent rock album, 27 Aug. 2015
I'm no music critic but I do know good music when I hear it. As a fan of rock bands such as Muse, Queens of the Stone Age and to some extent Royal Blood, Handsome As Sin's "Tell Me How You Died" has proudly claimed its place among my highest-rated Rock albums.

On my first playthrough of the album I found the songs to be of good quality but nothing particularly stood out to me other than the album's title song. However, upon listening to it again and really taking in each individual song, I became much more enthused by my purchase. The slow build up of Nothin' Worse interspersed with bouts of screaming (of which I'm usually not a fan, but happily made an exception in this case) is brilliant, while the memorable riffs of songs such as Outlaw and Money have great uplifting vibes.

All the songs have been uploaded online by the band themselves for free listening, so if you're on the fence about purchasing this album I'd recommend listening to the songs a couple of times first. I personally am very pleased with my purchase and am eager to see what the band comes up with next!

Mass Effect - The Poster Collection (Posters)
Mass Effect - The Poster Collection (Posters)
by Various

5.0 out of 5 stars A great collection of high-quality posters, 27 Aug. 2015
These posters arrived today after being ordered directly from Amazon. The prints are of a great quality, printed on what seems to be a smooth photo paper (I'm not familiar with paper types/weights). However, the description claims that the prints are 30cm x 40cm in size, which isn't entirely accurate - the pages are 30cm x 40cm but the artworks are contained within a white border, so they are actually around 25cm x 34cm. Use the "look inside" feature to see for yourself. I'm unsure if this is normal for poster collections such as this but I wasn't bothered.

On the back of each page is the name of the artwork along with the name of the artist that produced it, written at the bottom. All-in-all I'm very happy with this product and think it's a great, inexpensive alternative to buying the individual lithographs that have been sold over time. I may even grab some cheap frames to put some of the posters in.

My only concern is that a couple of pages in my particular copy have a strange grey substance on them. I'm not sure if this is a printing issue or what, particularly as the product was sealed and arrived on the day of release, but thankfully the substances are only present in the white corners so doesn't bother me personally. If others experience the same issue though I suppose it would be something to complain about.

AVerMedia Game Capture HD II - Record, Commentate, Edit & Share Console Gameplay without a PC

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Piece of Kit, 2 Nov. 2014
I've been looking to record gameplay on both my PS3 and PS4 for a while now, but my PC isn't strong enough to allow for standard capture cards. With this, however, I'm able to record HD footage straight onto my external hard drive (I bought a USB 3.0 500GB hard drive for this purpose), and then transfer it over to my PC for editing!

The product is shipped with HDMI cables, but unlike its predecessor it does not have component cables. This means that it's well suited for recording next-gen consoles, but to record older consoles such as the PS3 you will need to buy them separately. On that note, it can be quite difficult to source a good HD cable, with so many fakes out there. I don't know if I'm allowed to recommend other products on this one's review, but I found a certain cable beginning with 'L' and ending in '3' to be perfect!

Anyway, recording gameplay is wonderful with this snazzy-looking device (yes, it definitely looks the part too). Once it's all set up and turned on, you simply press the record button on your remote to begin recording immediately, and again to stop. After a few seconds waiting for it to finish recording, the hard drive is ready to be removed (or plugged into your PC if using an internal one) to transfer it over for editing.

The quality of the recordings are excellent. I captured gameplay from Destiny on my PS4 (remember to disable HDCP from your PS4's settings before recording any games), and the quality is superb: full 1080p resolution - although of course 720p and 1080i can be chosen instead, however 1080i isn't recommended - along with high frame rate and no blurring, even during fast-paced action. You may be hitting about 9 to 10 GB per hour of recording, but it's definitely worth it.

The Game Capture HD II also has an inbuilt video editor, which is very useful for trimming out the parts you want without having to transfer any files to your PC. This is especially handy if you're running low on space and need to cut out clips. However, the editor only has the most basic video editing features and is by no means a replacement for any PC software; however it's adequate for the odd 5 minutes of gameplay you might want to upload, should you come across a glitch or hit that wonderful level 30 for the first time.

Of course, I should point out the downsides of this product for a fair review. One thing is that you have to follow the setup instructions very carefully, doing it in the right order, or you can have problems. I managed to freeze my Game Capture HD II twice on the first test run because I turned it on before my console. However, it worked fine immediately afterwards and once offered to repair my hard drive after a freeze - it's all been working fine ever since.

The other downside, and this is just being picky for the sake of finding something else to give as a downside, is that the startup is a little iffy. After turning on your console and then your Game Capture HD II, if you've set your resolution to 1080p you'll find your TV keeps flicking between 1080i and 1080p while the box gives you messages, such as "Welcome" and "Ready to record", but once it's finished after a dozen or so seconds, it's ready to go.

Summary: An excellent recording device that has done its job perfectly, and is well worth the money paid for it. It's easily portable, delivers high quality footage and features a great interface, just make sure you follow the instructions carefully!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2015 11:51 AM BST

StarTech.com 6in Stereo Audio Y-Cable - 3.5mm Male to 2x RCA Female - Headphone Jack to RCA  Computer / MP3 to Stereo 1x Mini-Jack 2x RCA
StarTech.com 6in Stereo Audio Y-Cable - 3.5mm Male to 2x RCA Female - Headphone Jack to RCA Computer / MP3 to Stereo 1x Mini-Jack 2x RCA

5.0 out of 5 stars Work Excellently with PS3, 3 July 2014
Recently I received Rocksmith 2014 for PS3, a game which has audio lag when outputted through standard HDMI cables and must therefore be outputted through AV (RCA) cables. As my speakers and headphones used 3.5mm jacks I needed an adapter, but there were so many on Amazon (particularly unclear as to whether they were RCA to 3.5mm or the other way around, unless it isn't one-way) I wasn't sure which to choose.

I went with these and so far they've worked brilliantly, now I can play bass into any speakers or headphones!

Note: As the 3.5mm end is male, you'll probably need to purchase a coupler if you plan on connecting them to headphones.

Camkix Universal 3 in 1 Camera Lens Kit for Smart phones (iphone, Galaxy, HTC, Motorola), Ipad, Ipod touch, Laptops / One Fish Eye Lens / One 2 in 1 Macro Lens and Wide Angle Lens / One Universal Clip / One Microfiber Carrying Bag with Camkix retail packaging(Silver)
Offered by ECO-FUSED UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little set., 7 April 2014
Bought this as a present for someone to use on their Nexus 4, there are several kits out there and I wasn't sure what to go for, especially considering the range of prices.

The clip fits nicely, over their phone cover too, however it does obscure the camera flash which may be an issue. The lenses can be a little tricky to screw/unscrew in place, but they certainly feel tight and secure as a result. We have yet to try out the wide lenses, but the macro lens is AMAZING. We could hold the phone right up to a blanket and capture all the individual strands!

The handy little bag, which I believe doubles as a lens-cleaner, is small and great for carrying the whole kit around in. My only criticism of the kit is that one of the lenses only works when attached to another - it cannot be directly screwed to the clip - however this may be standard; I wouldn't know as I'm not a photographer. Hence when storing the lenses you must screw two of them together to attach the lens caps on.

Otherwise, this is an excellent kit. The labels on the lenses are great and the quality of them is amazing. If you are looking to turn your ordinary phone into an extraordinary camera, this is the kit to buy!

LEGO GAMES: ISLAND EXTREME STUNTS AND FOOTBALL MANIA (PC)
LEGO GAMES: ISLAND EXTREME STUNTS AND FOOTBALL MANIA (PC)
Offered by simplesimon1966

4.0 out of 5 stars Listing isn't quite accurate, but the games are good, 7 Oct. 2013
I should have looked more closely at the cover image before buying this game pack, as it isn't a 'GENUINE UK COPY' as the seller claimed but rather a Spanish copy with English install options. Luckily, the games are the same copies that are sold worldwide with simple language selection at the beginning, so this wasn't an issue (but if you're a British collector of these games, perhaps, it may be).

The games themselves are fun. Football/Soccer Mania is a good laugh, it really is manic and I very much enjoy the hectic yet still football-like gameplay. Teams can be customised from various different LEGO themes existent at the time. The story mode doesn't have a great focus on story - there is a definite progression, but as far as story goes there are just single text-dialogues on still images before and after each match. Not that this was a bother. The only other major downside is that a second keyboard is required for multiplayer. Aside from this, it is certainly a game worthwhile purchasing.

As for Island Xtreme Stunts (I believe it is misspelled in the title)... I have mixed opinions. It is the third and final game in the LEGO Island series, and as LEGO Island 2 did to LEGO Island, the mechanics have been changed again, although not as drastically. Movement is a little difficult and the overall aesthetic is less realistic than in previous games, but this appears to be intentional. I was a little confused at first as to what I was meant to do, and the minigames you must play through the story aren't always clearly instructed. I can see young audiences enjoying the game, but unfortunately for me I picked it up and played it once before leaving it. I'll probably get around to finishing it some day.

But hey, for £2 - £3 including postage, this is a steal. If you're an AFOL or have a little LEGO-crazy kid, go buy it, you/they'll love it.

Nerf N-Strike Stampede ECS
Nerf N-Strike Stampede ECS

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Durable, and Full of Ammo!, 6 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Nerf N-Strike Stampede ECS (Toy)
I bought this gun to have 'Nerf Wars' with my brother, who owns a pump-action Nerf gun. When it arrived it had several scratches on the casing, probably due to mishandling or something, but this didn't matter to me as I didn't intend to use this as a collector's item or keep it in mint condition. It was securely packaged, and the plethora of darts that come with it are an added bonus, albeit a required one - ammo is lost quite quickly! The fire rate isn't as fast as I had imagined, but still much faster than the pump-action gun I was up against, although it is worth noting that the Stampede isn't too accurate. It has a nice weight, too, making it more 'gun-like'. The blast shield comes in handy, although it does obscure the scope (but this shouldn't be a bother). The pop-out stand is nice, too. So far I haven't had any jams or other problems, and I doubt I ever will as it is motorised.

Pros:
Seriously fun
Lots of darts
Faster rate-of-fire than most Nerf guns
Good weight
Includes blast shield and stand
Motorised
Durable
Batteries aren't drained fast (my first batch are still going)

Cons:
Expensive, especially as you need pricey D batteries
The blast shield is a little tricky to snap into place
Not too accurate
Runs out of ammo fairly fast