Profile for ICS > Reviews

ICS "Ines" (Spain)

Death and Burial in the Roman World
Death and Burial in the Roman World
by J. M. C. Toynbee

5.0 out of 5 stars indispensable reference, wonderful general reading, 4 Feb. 2014
An indispensable classic on the typology of burial monuments both under the Etruscans and the Romans. I thought I knew a thing or two on the subject before I read it but I was extremely humbled by everything I learnt.

The Wipers Times
The Wipers Times
by Christopher Westhorp

5.0 out of 5 stars Offensive enough! :-D, 30 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Wipers Times (Hardcover)
"Are we being offensive enough?" is one of the popular jokes in this WWI trench not-so-periodic periodical, and one that quite defines the tone of the whole thing. Written and published by soldiers of the British Expeditionary Force in the French front, the Wipers Times is only the first name of the publication (Wipers was the pidgin appellation given to Ypres by the British soldiers) but the paper changed denominations as the division was relocated between 1916 and 1918 ("New Church Times", "Kemmel Times", "Somme Times" etc.). Not a single piece of serious news is included; instead the paper is a surprisingly good-humoured running commentary of life in the trenches, featuring poetry, Herlock Shomes serials, mock theatre programmes designed for the "best ventilated hall in town" and fake ads puporting to offer real estate with "excellent shooting" available. Gas masks, dugouts, shelling and the like are always present as part of the context and military engagements are recounted disguised as horseraces or cricket matches. Not being an expert in the period, it took me a while to get used to the slang terms for the different sorts of bombs and such, but I am enjoying the reading enormously and I have to say it gives a very humbling perspective on my everyday stress. Not only do I recommend the book but I will be acquiring another few copies to give out.

Traité de théologie : Edition bilingue français-polonais
Traité de théologie : Edition bilingue français-polonais
by Czeslaw Milosz

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 2 Jan. 2012
I am a long-time fan of Polish literature but don't actually speak much Polish. I had long searched for something by Milosz, who is after all a renowned poet with a Nobel prize, and lately came upon this book. This is a bilingual Polish-French version of Milosz's Traktat Teologiczny and I have found it great. It is rare in this day and age to find someone writing religious poetry, and Milosz's search for a spiritual truth is fascinating as a result. Wonderful translation, and as a first approach to Milosz it has left me craving more.

Arsenic and Old Lace
Arsenic and Old Lace
by Joseph Kesselring

5.0 out of 5 stars A spoonful of arsenic, half a spoonful of stramonium and a pinch of cyanide, 4 May 2009
This review is from: Arsenic and Old Lace (Paperback)
A streak of madness runs in the Brewster family - so theatre critic Mortimer Brewster must conclude when he finds a corpse in the windowseat of the old house in Brooklyn where his two old maiden aunts reside, next door to his fiancée... His brother, who believes himself US President Teddy Roosevelt and digs the Panama canal in the cellar, insists it must be a yellow fever victim, but the Brewster sisters, two sweet, inoffensive little old ladies who are veritable pillars of the community, know better - they poisoned the man with arsenic hidden in a glass of homemade elderberry wine... Murdered? Not at all, darling, this is charity! We just put him out of his misery, same as the eleven others who are buried in the cellar... When Mortimer's other brother Jonathan, a convicted murderer looking like Boris Karloff, also turns up with another corpse under his arm (also his number 12, and only God knows what he did with the others) and the police arrives intending to commit Teddy to a psychiatric ward, it is all Mortimer can do to juggle the situation to try to get a happy ending for everyone (well, almost!). Hilarious and very well written. I bought it for an amateur theatre group and we had great fun doing it. The book includes schematics for stage design and a very useful list of necessary attrezzo.