Profile for Yasmine > Reviews

Apples for Jam:Recipes for Life
Apples for Jam:Recipes for Life
by Tessa Kiros

1.0 out of 5 stars Meh, 27 Nov. 2013
I can't believe I am giving this cookbook a one-star review mainly because of this reason: the pages and the print are HORRIBLE. Quite possibly the most impractical book that I've used. I barely can read the print easily because the colour is so faint, the typeface is not the nicest, and the pages are glossy and reflect light (there's GLARE!) and thick like a 10-page magazine which makes them hard to flip and read since this cookbook is HUGE.

The other reason: it is very uninspiring. Just pretty colours and "stories" and absolutely no culinary substance.

The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion: The All-Purpose Baking Cookbook
The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion: The All-Purpose Baking Cookbook
by King Arthur Flour
Edition: Flexibound

5.0 out of 5 stars You need this in your bookshelf, 27 Nov. 2013
If you frequently bake, then you absolutely need to own this cookbook. It's reliable, and it covers almost anything you can think of. It's a good starting point for most recipes, and I just can't imagine not having it in my library.

Bouchon Bakery
Bouchon Bakery
by Thomas Keller

5.0 out of 5 stars I only have one thing to say..., 27 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Bouchon Bakery (Hardcover)
If you want to be SURE that you will get excellent results while trying out a recipe for the very first time, this is the cookbook to get. I assure you that it's built to give you perfect results every time. I have made over 8 recipes from it and they were ALL the best version I have tried. Though I must admit, the process may seem unnecessarily finicky to you if you were an experienced baker, but it's essential for a beginner to follow it to the T as it was written.

Lily Vanilli's Sweet Tooth: Recipes and Tips from a Modern Artisan Bakery
Lily Vanilli's Sweet Tooth: Recipes and Tips from a Modern Artisan Bakery
by Lily Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs revising., 27 Nov. 2013
Pretty photos, but I have only tried one recipe so far: Biscuit Brownies. Being an experienced baker I had my doubts about the ratios (WAY too much flour for it to be fudgy! And the butter amount was so little, it couldn't have possibly made up for the huge amount of flour)- but being also curious I decided to give it a try. It didn't crack as mentioned, and it was unbelievably dry even when under baked. Instead of throwing the rest of the dough away.. I decided to use it in a creative way: In a baking tray, I smoothed out some of the dough, and then put a layer of chocolate hazelnut spread, and then topped with the rest of the dough and spread it around, topped it with lots of sliced almonds. Baked it for 15-20 minutes..and WOW. It had a firm base but a gooey and delicious top. It was definitely amazing. But it was horrible as a cookie.

I am not sure I want to try out another recipe as I am not a huge fan of wasting ingredients over experiments. I already have a lot of trust-worthy resources.