Profile for Simon Connell > Reviews

Content by Simon Connell

Simon Connell (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Panther (General Military)
Panther (General Military)
by Mike Green & Gladys Green
Price: 22.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great easy to read introduction to the Panther, 7 Jun 2014
I have a lot of books on the Panther tank but this probably has to be the easiest to read of the lot.

It covers the history of it's development, the different versions, the key sub-systems of the tank, the ammunition it used and the role of each member of the crew. While most of the history was not new to me, I really enjoyed reading about the role of each of the crew members, the detail behind each of the sub-systems and the various types of ammunition employed. The writing was not too technical and really accessible with some really great detailed photos of both restored panthers and period photos. The accounts of German crews who used it in battle and the allied crews that had to deal with it were good too.

It also reminded me of a literature review as it does reference many of the premier works on the Panther.

The only thing I could think that would improve on it would be to have more colour profiles ... and of course more photos.

Well recommended for Panther-philes and modelers.

Marine Tank Battles in the Pacific
Marine Tank Battles in the Pacific
by Oscar E. Gilbert
Price: 23.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book let down by bad reproduction of photos. Don't buy for a modelling reference., 28 May 2014
I bought this book to find out more on how tanks were used in the Pacific and as a reference for a M4A3 tank with improvised armour that I am building in 1/72 scale.

The book itself is a great blow by blow account of the use of tanks in the island hopping campaigns that the Marines were involved in. The human interest stories add a lot of colour and really give you a sense of how horrific the fighting was in this much neglected theatre of world war 2. The where they are now summary of the interviewees is interesting too. On this basis, I'd give the book 4 to 4.5 stars.

From a modelling perspective, the choice of photos looks good but the reproduction is so poor and dark that they are almost illegible. This is not the fault of the author but more the second edition publisher De Capo. Due to the poor reproduction of the photos, I've given the book 3 stars.

Definitely read this book if you want to read a great account of Marine tank battles in the Pacific. Don't if you want to use it solely as a modelling reference.

Flash Boys
Flash Boys
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book on how high frequency distorts the markets, 19 April 2014
This review is from: Flash Boys (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book on how high frequency distorts the markets. It reads really well - almost like a thriller novel.

It's hard to believe that the legal of distortion our capital markets is allowed to happen like this. Ultimately, it affects our pension funds.

Sturmgeschutz III on the Battlefield (World War Two Photobooks)
Sturmgeschutz III on the Battlefield (World War Two Photobooks)
by Matyas Panczel
Price: 20.52

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book with great photos let down by poor English translation, 1 Jan 2014
I really enjoyed this book. It had some great photos of the Stug III ranging right from the Ausf A through to the Ausf G and the Sturmhaubitze 42. While the pictures come mainly from the Eastern Front, there are photos of Stugs in Western Europe as well as the island of Rhodes. The photo of a ceremonial handover of some Sturmhaubitze 42s in the Alkett factory surrounded by workers, guests and an orchestra was quite amusing.

If you are a model builder, there are some great ideas for adding stowage, weathering a model and building dioramas. A suggestion for improvement would be adding some colour plates like the Panzer Vor series does to aid modellers in painting these vehicles.

The book is only let down by some poor translation from Hungarian to English. The publisher needs to employ a native English translator to tidy up the translation so it doesn't look like it's coming from Google or a word for word translation from Hungarian. It really doesn't read well. I also wasn't sure that all the text was factually correct but that is just nitpicking and could be to do with the translation.

All in all, a great value book and I am looking forward to purchasing the next one in the series.

Yukikaze
Yukikaze
Price: 3.24

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting book on technology and humanity., 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: Yukikaze (Kindle Edition)
Interesting book on technology and it's impact on humanity.

As we spend more time with our faces in our mobile phones and online, what do we miss out on in the meantime.

All You Need Is Kill
All You Need Is Kill
Price: 2.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable sci fi meets ground hog day novel., 21 Oct 2013
I totally enjoyed this book which I bought on a whim. I love the whole ground hog day effect. It really took me by surprise and I had to re read a few pages thinking it was a printing error. The rest reminded me of some pure japanese manga novel. And I haven't even seen the illustrated version.

Scapegoats of the Empire
Scapegoats of the Empire

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting account of the case of Breaker Morant, 21 Oct 2013
Having seen the movie some years ago, this book by one of the accused three was an interesting read. Winston was clearly wronged by the court-martial. As for the guilt or innocence of The Breaker and Peter Handcock, it's hard to say. I think they were probably guilty of shooting prisoners who had already surrendered. The war they were fighting however seemed to have degenerated into a dirty guerrilla war where tit for tat atrocities were committed by both sides and orders given were deliberately written to give the widest possible interpretation. The court martial process appeared highly flawed and the verdict seemed to be predetermined by what was happening politically at the time.

The Checklist Manifesto: How To Get Things Right
The Checklist Manifesto: How To Get Things Right
Price: 5.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read on how check lists can reduce complexity., 18 Aug 2013
My boss gave this to me to read as we were rolling out a control check list for trading supervisors. It's an interesting and engaging read and given me lots of material to use when explaining the concept to people and why it's important. In essence, to make sure nothing gets missed. This is important when your programme is about preventing rogue trading and imposing a kind of discipline on people who don't think they need it. In that sense, traders are not very different from surgeons.

The examples from the construction industry where also interesting as I am a project manager and high lights how important communication is.

SILVER STEAMPUNK JEWELLERY VINTAGE NEO VICTORIAN WATCH MOVEMENT CUFFLINKS UNIQUE UNUSUAL GIFT IDEA with leatherette gift box

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely detailed watch insides turned cufflinks, 18 Mar 2013
I ordered these and am pretty happy with them. They look good and are unusual. And some of the cogs whirr.

While it maybe labelled Steam Punk, they are not as 'steam punkish' as other cufflinks I have in my collection. I'd describe them more as insides of a watch turned into cool cufflinks.

Child 44
Child 44
Price: 3.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Good engrossing read ... chilling depiction of life in post war Stalinist Russia., 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: Child 44 (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book and I am gutted I missed book club and the opportunity to discuss it. I enjoyed it not so much for the murder mystery but the depiction of the paranoia of post War Stalinist Russia and what people would do to survive.

Page: 1 | 2