Profile for A. BRADSHAW > Reviews

Content by A. BRADSHAW

A. BRADSHAW (London United Kingdom)

The Very Best Of Diana Krall
The Very Best Of Diana Krall

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Collection From A Fantastic Singer, 8 Jan. 2008
Diana Krall in her own way reinvented vocal based piano jazz. Her ability to deliver a jazz standard as though it were the first time the song were sung is peerless in the modern age.

She has a smoky voice that traces the contours of a melody like gossamer on velvet, mellifluous, enchanting and able to almost whisper an intimacy that most singers would struggle a lifetime to convey once, let alone consistently.

Backed by some brilliant musicians, she has it all and this collection reflects some of the best of her work. Her delivery of "S'Wonderful" is flawless, "Frim Fram Sauce" a fruity melange of tongue in cheek jazzy frippery is compulsively engaging, and her lightly flirtatious "Let's Fall In Love" makes you think "yeah, okay, let me just put my shoes on...".

Yes there are songs you would want to see on here, I miss "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" which I think is a meisterstuck and nobody else does it quite as well as her. But hey, t'was ever thus with "best of" collections, there are always going to be songs that you would like to see but it's not quite enough to make me give this a four instead of a five.

I agree with other reviewers here, "The Girl In The Other Room" left me cold, Elvis needs to step away from his wife's career and not contemporise her. More JAZZ please Mrs Costello!!! It's what you do best.

Altec Lansing iM7 portable speaker/docking system for iPod with remote control, subwoofer and S-video out

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Stunning., 20 Nov. 2007
I was looking for ipod speakers for my wife's birthday and didn't want to buy something cheap and nasty sounding as many of the less expensive options sound.

In order to get an idea what the benchmarks should be, I tried the Harmon Kardon (excellent but fiddly to use and very expensive), the Apple ipod dock (overpriced but good sound), the Klipsch (very very good) and the Bose.

Firstly on the Bose. It has a good rich sound with a tight bass delivery. Is it worth the extra price, no I don't think it is. The Klipsch iGroove is also very good and I considered this very seriously.

Until I put my ipod in the Altec Lansing that is. I was using Maxwell's Urban Hang Suite's first album as the test bed tracks. This album has fantastic production and requires a system capable of delivering smooth, rich bass along with crisp vocals and hi-hat.

The Bose and the Klipsch were both impressive. But put the same tracks on the Altec IM7 and the richness of the bass at the bottom end is noticable - with absolutely no compromise in the midrange or treble frequencies which are crystal clear. The IM7 has an in-built side-firing sub-woofer and it makes a considerable difference.

I still look at the IM7 and wonder how on Earth they get such a big system sound from such a relatively small unit.

The only thing I would point out is that the system doesn't come with an adaptor for the G2 Nanos, but these apparently are available from Altec though I haven't tried to get one of these yet - so you have to be careful with album/track selection when docked.

This, however, is not enough to prevent me doing anything but utterly recommending these to anyone. They, I understand (although I could be wrong) coming to the end of its production run, so if you can get one of these, do so now.

Lost Highway
Lost Highway
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Lazy, Bland, Lacking In Ideas., 5 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Lost Highway (Audio CD)
This is, without question the laziest and most uninspiring album Bon Jovi have ever put out.

If a new band put this out as a demo they would not get signed. It's that bad.

There's one band that is successful in trying to be the Eagles - and they're called the Eagles. Bon Jovi is a band whose fans have grown up loving a band which can craft anthemic rock songs with the ease of sweating on a hot day. Put New Jersey on and then put this pile of AOR garbage on and see if you can tell if it's even the same band.

But it isn't even good AOR. The "country" flavour isn't even good by country standards. If they really want to go down that route they should invest in some good country writers and be produced by Dan Huff (who understands melodic rock and country better than anyone in Nashville).

I don't suppose Jon reads this stuff but if he were to I would say this: Jon, you've let ego cloud your judgement. You've forgotten the people who put you where you are today. You and Richie have written some great songs in the past, a past when you still cared about your audience. In twenty years time, when people think about Bon Jovi, they won't think of this album.

This album isn't just bad, it's woeful.

Sennheiser PX100White Open Mini Headphone White
Sennheiser PX100White Open Mini Headphone White

5.0 out of 5 stars These are FANTASTIC headphones, 5 May 2007
I've had a pair of these for about nine months or so now. At the time I bought them (not from here I might add) they were around £35.00. I've always like Sennheiser and I bought them knowing that they were likely to at least sound okay.

I bought them to use with my MP3 player. Normal earphones that come with MP3s, the in-ear kind almost always sound rubbish. My wife's Nano 'phones are terrible. She plugged the Sennheisers in and couldn't believe the difference.

The bass extension on these is outrageous. Try listening to Machine Head's Imperium, or Pantera or Slipknot and you will understand just how articulate these headphones are at delivering weapons grade bass response as well as articulating crisp higher frequencies.

The only minor downside is that because they are open backed other people will hear a bit more of what you are listening to. But if that doesn't worry you overmuch since most ipod earphones are about as noisy, I would suggest you are selfish and get these divine portable 'phones.

They fold up well and sound great. They are also comfortable to wear and don't fall out your ears.

And they kick some serious [...] on sound delivery.

Recommended. Very.

The Quest
The Quest
by Wilbur Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh Stop Being So Po Faced!, 5 May 2007
This review is from: The Quest (Hardcover)
I have read, Warlock, River God and The Seventh Scroll and loved them all. This final (perhaps) installment in the life of Taita is a wonderful story. More mystical than previous books yes and also profoundly romantic.

We have known that Taita is a great physician, mathematician, theologian and an adept of many skills, this book explores the spiritual side of him as a long-liver.

Ladies and gents who have written previously, I hate to burst your bubble, but these books are not a biography of a real character. It is perhaps Wilbur Smith's genius that makes Taita and Lostris characters we care so much about.

This is a captivating tale, of outrageous bravery, of great sadness, but also of great story-telling.

It is more fantastical than the books preceding it. But some of the aspects of mysticism explored here are no different to those practiced by Amazonian tribes of whom it has been said and witnessed that they have the ability to "disappear".

If you want a documentary, don't buy this book. If you want a ripping yarn then buy it. If you have read the others and want to revisit characters you have loved then read it.

I loved this story. For that is what it is. And as such, it is beautifully and evocatively written.

Thank-you Mr Smith. And everyone else - please lighten up!

The Sharpe Series (4) - Sharpe's Trafalgar: The Battle of Trafalgar, 21 October 1805
by Bernard Cornwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Razor Sharpe!, 22 Nov. 2004
As a huge fan of Patrick O'Brian's books, I was interested to see how Mr Cornwell tackled a true sea faring story. Certainly you can tell that the author references O'Brian in couple of places, which is no bad thing as O'Brian was the master of the wooden walled world. This is a tremendous book, thoroughly enjoyable from first to last, a tale which will leave your swashes well and truly buckled. Sharpe is as curmudgeonly and irritating to the upper classes as usual, but in all things heroic as we have come to expect. Cornwell's literary skill in weaving a couple of extra ships into the battle of Trafalgar is top notch - along with building in superb descriptions of the battle itself. It leaves you wishing that Jack Aubrey had met Richard Sharpe and how they would have got on...